Self-changable cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the advent of the new cartridge oil filters, wouldn't the next logical step be to replace the drainplug with an easy-to-open valve coming out through a trap door (like a gas cap). This way the oil change could be something anyone could do without tools, going the under car, etc.

netsfan,

Good idea in theory, except that car manufaturers don't want you changing your own oil. (IMO)

FWIW, Fram & Fumoto already make a drain plug similar to what you've described, with the exception that you still have to get under the car.

Why bother with oil changes at all? Why not just burn a small amount of oil with the fuel periodically, as is done on many large truck diesels?

One would just add a gallon or two of oil to a replenishment resevoir every 50k miles and change the filter. Not a big deal, and eliminates the problem of waste oil.

quote:

Originally posted by pitzel:
Why bother with oil changes at all? Why not just burn a small amount of oil with the fuel periodically, as is done on many large truck diesels?

One would just add a gallon or two of oil to a replenishment resevoir every 50k miles and change the filter. Not a big deal, and eliminates the problem of waste oil.

So you would rather breathe in all this burnt oil???
confused.gif

If it wasn't for Big Oil & War Co, cars right now would be cooling, lubricating, and then burning the same used vegetable oil. This is not a stretch.

quote:

Originally posted by Tosh:
If it wasn't for Big Oil & War Co, cars right now would be cooling, lubricating, and then burning the same used vegetable oil. This is not a stretch.

spare me the california angst.....

quote:

Assuming vegetable oil has the same energy content as diesel, I'd need about 400 US gallons of vegetable oil a year to drive my small car. Do we really have enough agricultural resources to pump out this much extra for everyone? Seems like a bit of a stretch.

I hear there is a car that has a dipstick tube that goes all the way to the bottom of the pan. To drain it you hook a hose to the top of the dipstick tube and suck out the oil. This is a bit different than the method of putting a smaller tube down the dipstick tube to suck out the oil.

RPN: Just limit the number of new VO cars so that there aren't more of them than the new supply of oil.

Steve

quote:

Originally posted by rpn453:
Assuming vegetable oil has the same energy content as diesel, I'd need about 400 US gallons of vegetable oil a year to drive my small car. Do we really have enough agricultural resources to pump out this much extra for everyone? Seems like a bit of a stretch.

With crossbreeding the oil producing genes of algae with oil-producing soil-borne plants, I am sure that plant geneticists could eventually engineer solutions that significantly augment nonedible oilseed production, even in Saskatchewan.

Most vegetable based transportation fuels are currently derived from soybeans. Not exactly a very efficient method of producing vast quantities of oil.

quote:

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Yeah, Got to love the Left coast...

offtopic.gif

Not in my back yard.

We just got done building a Nat Gas powerplant that provides power for 140,000 homes...

Would anyone like to guess where 90% of the power is going to? 700 miles away...
mad.gif

This is next to the coal burning powerplant that 85 % of it's power going to another State that starts with a C.
mad.gif

As they shut down their power plants in their state.

Now their Gov is going to make that California is going to lead the world in reduction of green house gasses...

Yeah, by have other states do their power plants...
thumbsdown.gif

Amazing..

Take care, Bill
rolleyes.gif

PS: Sorry about the rant.. You have to live here and see what that state does to OUR cost and state of living..

[ July 05, 2005, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: Bill in Utah ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back