Selecting New IMac

First of all thanks for the input as I really appreciate it. If the wait for the M1 is only until possibly this summer I should be able to wait. I realize a mini is a wonderful machine but I really hate to buy a monitor as at the present time I don't have one. For some reason, I have my mind made up for the iMac. Yes, I will be using it for just general purpose and therefore nothing that should be real strenuous. So basically I am assuming the entry-level with 16 Ghz of RAM as opposed to the 8 that is entry-level. That increase is a hedge to the future. I don't always like entry-level so maybe the next one up but no further. That is a decision to be made later. I think that's it!! Thanks again as I am now on standby until summer. By the way, on their website, Apple does give a 10% discount to active duty military and veterans.

I see I goofed (again) Somehow missed the iMac. I thought you were looking at notebooks which are M1 right now, along with the Mac mini. Yeah, I would wait for the iMac M1 for sure. You will be glad you did, you don't have to go crazy upgrading it.

Last edited:
Yes, I will be using it for just general purpose and therefore nothing that should be real strenuous. So basically I am assuming the entry-level with 16 Ghz of RAM as opposed to the 8 that is entry-level.
Generally, the only options on iMacs are the amount of RAM and the storage space. I'm all for more RAM, more RAM, and more RAM but for "general purpose" use, 8gb is fine. The disappointing part with Apple and their Macs is the prices they charge for factory-installed upgrades and more and more today, they're making them non-upgradeable. I bought an iMac a number of years ago when they were still upgradeable and added an add'l 8gb for a more than 1/2 off of what Apple wanted. The 21" iMacs became non-upgradeable soon after while the 27" could still but I'm not sure if this is still the case. With Apple's new CPU, it's actually a SoC (System on a Chip) so it includes the CPU, GPU, and the RAM so upgrading definitely won't be possible. In this case, I still say 8gb is fine but maybe it would be smarter to get 16gb...

As far as storage space, I'd be happy with 256gb since so much is stored in the cloud today. I'm typing this on a Macbook Air with 128gb SSD and have over 50gb of free space. This includes a 40gb partition for BootCamp (Windows 10) too.

I think you'll be glad you wait, as you seem to be willing to do. The CPU for desktops is supposed to be 16 or 32-core.

You're complaining that a 12 year old computer is worthless ? :rolleyes:
Not exactly. I'm just saying it's just a shame that this still nice display is hard wired to an antique CPU. I usually go through a few computers between monitor upgrades.

I still use it, but only for playing media out in the shop. I "upgraded" the OS to Linux Lite so it runs a little better than it did with macOS, but it still falls on it's face compared to modern hardware.

Okay, I gotcha. Apple has usually done a real good job with their graphics or monitors so I see where you're coming from with you considering the monitor portion still quite nice.

Unless it's for business and can be a tax write off go with the Mac.. There's plenty of capable pc's hp and Lenovo would be my pick.. You can get good anti virus malware etc software for the PC. Mac won't share your info and data any less you have to change your browser and browsing behavior.

Last edited:
You cannot future proof an iMac because when things wear out they are hard to swap out pieces at a time. There were situations when you cannot buy parts because they refuse to sell to you and all the ones on ebay are with inflated prices because everyone was looking for it.

If you want to go with a Mac get a Mac mini and a monitor, at least your monitor can be kept for a few generations.

First of all thanks for the input as I really appreciate it. If the wait for the M1 is only until possibly this summer I should be able to wait. I realize a mini is a wonderful machine but I really hate to buy a monitor as at the present time I don't have one. For some reason, I have my mind made up for the iMac. Yes, I will be using it for just general purpose and therefore nothing that should be real strenuous. So basically I am assuming the entry-level with 16 Ghz of RAM as opposed to the 8 that is entry-level. That increase is a hedge to the future. I don't always like entry-level so maybe the next one up but no further. That is a decision to be made later. I think that's it!! Thanks again as I am now on standby until summer. By the way, on their website, Apple does give a 10% discount to active duty military and veterans.

You hate buying a monitor now but you will hate throwing it out when your CPU is too slow and you don't have enough RAM, or your SSD is too small or died.

You cannot future proof an iMac because when things wear out they are hard to swap out pieces at a time. There were situations when you cannot buy parts because they refuse to sell to you and all the ones on ebay are with inflated prices because everyone was looking for it.

If you want to go with a Mac get a Mac mini and a monitor, at least your monitor can be kept for a few generations.
Up until a few months ago I was using a 2009 imac, it did everything I needed, 1080p video playback was a bit jerking so decided to upgrade.
Got a late 2012 27" imac i7, max ram, dual SSD, baked the GPU for $150, deal

I got this model because it is the last model where the glass is held on by magnets and is not glued to the case.

The iMac is long overdue for a redesign, and many expect that to occur with the move to the M1. If being able to run Windows as well isn't a concern, then it's the better long term bet. The M1 mini packs a lot of performance, and is very good value as far as Apple products go, but is leading edge, and all that implies.

For the current Intel iMacs, the Apple refurbished store is a good option, but stock varies, and goes quickly once made available, so it's a stalk and strike quickly deal. The factory-refurbished units are indistinguishable from new, except for a plain box, carry the same warranty, and are eligible for the AppleCare extended warranty. The ~15% discount isn't great, but is better than nothing.

The 27" models still have user-accessible RAM slots, so upgrades can be done without having to pay the high prices Apple charges for more memory. The more recent 21" models can be expanded, but only by disassembly, probably best done by a service provider.

Unless custom ordered, 2019 and prior models had Fusion hybrid drives as standard, combining a small SSD with a spinning drive. Of those, it's better to get a 2TB model or higher, since they have a decently sized SSD (128GB). The smaller capacity models have a paltry 32GB SSD. Fusion drives are fine for most users, but a pure SSD model is preferable, and since they were custom configurations, available only direct from Apple, some dealers, and through the refurb store.

The 2020 models switched to pure SSDs. Current models take a few months before they become available in the refurb store.

If buying new, Apple often structures the options so that it's better value to step up to the next trim level, rather than optioning up a base model, so keep that in mind, and play with the configuration options and weigh the specs. Very much like buying a car.

I got this model because it is the last model where the glass is held on by magnets and is not glued to the case.
Very soon everything will be soldered on and cannot be individually replaced: DDR, SSD, wifi, GPU, etc. That would be fine for a $300 chrome book or $400 laptop for mom, but not for a $1700 iMac (or whatever they charge these days).

I personally dislike iMac's due to their dead end nature. I have an ancient iMac (2008) out in the shop that is basically worthless for general purpose use, even though it has a really nice display. A Mini makes much more sense to me.

How-to-mount-your-Mac-mini.jpg
What makes it worthless? Sure it’s only running Sierra (?) but that hardly makes it worthless.

We have a bunch of Apple equipment and I still use my old 2008 iMac from time to time due to the nice display (which you can use on a later Mac as just a display).

"100% wait for m1 chip if you are set on an imac." Yep Brybo86 that is what I have decided to do as that seems to be the prudent route to take. I will simply wait and see what they do to the computer. Also, go to 16 Gigs and solid state drive. Thanks all

16 GB of RAM WILL future-proof you. I'd say 8GB is more than enough for general purpose use over the next 10 years, however. You don't need to denote the drive type, because it's a given with the iMac; what you need to decide is how much, since you will not be able to upgrade it. Even for general purpose use, I'd opt for at least 256GB of space, even if 128GB is offered (it might not be).

Personally, I have a ten year old CPU powering a two year-old GPU just fine, since it was nearly to-of-the-line back then. Along with the MB and CPU, the 12GB of generic RAM are original. the HDD was replaced with a $100 Samsung 1TB SSD and the second slot was populated with a 2TB WD Black HDD for backup.

I wouldn't even consider an iMac.

In the PC world the difference of 8GB to 16GB of ram is $20. Apple world... $150 maybe more.
Not that little, the market cost of 8GB of DDR4 is about $35, but prebuild will still charge you around $80 or so just because they can. Apple would likely charge you more than that now that they soldered their ram.

A lot of people really have double standard on how "affordable" a Mac is vs PC when their same cost spec is completely different. Yes I know people say 8GB DDR4 and 256GB SSD is all you NEED, but it is only because of what you need to work around vs what you can do with it.

Yes, even a Celeron or i3 with the latest gen Intel UHD graphics will be sufficient if all you do is web browsing, but if you are spending that much money you should compare what you really can do with all the hardware, not just browsing the web. If all you do is browse the web you might as well get a chrome box / book and the biggest 4K monitor you can afford. That'll be all you need anyways.

At work for example, they let you pick a Mac with 13" screen or a real laptop (i.e. Dell Precision, Lenovo Thinkpad) with 15" screen (i7, GeForce Mobile, 16GB / 512GB). You do have to pay a premium for the Mac ecosystem.

Back