Seems like CD-2 oil detergent is similar to ARX

Status
Not open for further replies.

hal

After looking around and reading I think that Auto-RX and CD-2 Oil Detergent are very similar if not basically the same. CD-2 smells like a high-quality synethetic oil (esters?) and has the same color as oil, but a bit lighter weight maybe a 5-10w? also I have read that CD-2 will send all the junk to your oil filter and you can see it in there if you cut it open like you can w/ ARX. Being that it's more readily available and less expensive, I think I may try it on an engine that's in need of cleaning. I have used CD-2 in the past on a car w/ noisy lifters and it does work for that too.

I'd like to know where you are "finding this?" CD2 "Oil Detergent" was mentioned by a long time poster on his second ID in the thread on Rislone, a thread in fact I was going through today. I believe he said something to the affect that CD2 seems very similar to AutoRX in his experience. Unfortunately, the thread became hot as Frank entered and it became sort of a flame war and many of the posts were deleted as were his.

I have no idea if CD2 is similar, or even works as well, as AutoRX. I have used it extensively and believe that I have had good results with it and it is widely available at a fraction of the price of ARX. CD2 makes no claims about cleaning other than it can unstick clogged lifters (it can, in my experience). I would say that Rislone is pretty much in the same category as a tried and true product that many believe has eliminated lifter ticks and extreme slugging in their engine --but are not popular here and are eclipsed by the popularity of ARX on this board...

Last edited:
People would sh*t if it turned out to be a good product for $3 bucks better then axr..
LOL.gif

here comes all the axr lovers..
27.gif

COMPONENT CAS NUMBER CONCENTRATION (wt %)
Hydrotreated spent lube 64742-58-1 70 – 80
oil (petroleum)
Residual oils, petroleum, solvent 64742-62-7 20 – 30
dewaxed

Sounds like it's mostly oil. I wonder if it has a boatload of calcium or something?

CD-2 is at any auto parts store

On the front in big letters: "CLEANS, QUIETS"

On the back:
-frees sticky lifters/valves/rings
-replenishes detergents and dispersants
-dissolves sludge, carbon and gum
-cleans ALL internal engine parts

etc etc etc

Says to use it when changing oil and use it for 2000 miles, or use 2 bottles for heavily sludged engines or sticky lifters, etc. Sounds to me that it's a slow-cleaning type chemical and should be very safe because of that. As I said I have used it before (for lifters) with good results. And even the directions are similar.

Last edited:
Used CD-2 in my clients cars some 14+yrs ago, and never witness any noticeable outcome out of it.

In the end: I classify them similar to all other OTC 10-min gratification in-a-can.

Q.

Certainly not like ARX in viscosity. The CD2 detergent is watery thin, judging from shaking the bottle in the store some time ago.

MolaKule did not give the specific label wording. It could be the detergent. I think it was a yellow bottle for the detergent and it's thin, so this VOA may be it.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
MolaKule did not give the specific label wording. It could be the detergent. I think it was a yellow bottle for the detergent and it's thin, so this VOA may be it.

Kinda hope not because that stuff is empty nothing in it
mad.gif
,unless a VOA dosent pick up whats doing the cleaning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back