Seems like CD-2 oil detergent is similar to ARX

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would a VOA of ARX tell us?

I think it was said in the thread on Rislone, by a Bars VP, that VOAs can be sort of useless for this sort of thing as the key ingredients will not be detected in a VOA...

Originally Posted By: cparksjr
Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
Molakule posted a VOA of Rislone some time ago. The reason Rislone does not have a following was a result of the VOA (I believe)

If someone from Rislone would like to bring more info on the product and how it works on an internal combustion engine, I'm sure everyone would be open minded enough to listen.

Sponsorship would not be required.

One of the ingredients that would not show up on a report is the N-Butyl Acetate. Though it is a small percentage, it does a very good job at cleaning sticky lifters, piston ring grooves and especially the vapors accumulate in cold spots within the engine to help dissolve sludge.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1367442&fpart=2

Originally Posted By: daman
Thats what i said above about CD-2 oil detergent,VOA may not be seeing the right stuff.

The problem is that if you ad up the minimum percents from the MSDS, that's a maximum of 10% of unaccounted for ingredients. Even if it were a pure lanolin ester making up that last 10%, I doubt it would be anywhere near as effective as Auto RX.

hm, now im wondering if i can find the cd-2 engine oil treatment.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

I think it was said in the thread on Rislone, by a Bars VP, that VOAs can be sort of useless for this sort of thing as the key ingredients will not be detected in a VOA...

Absolutely right. The standard collection of analytes in a VOA are designed to evaluate wear metals and other contaminants contributed by an operating engine, along with portions of the traditional additive packages found in motor oils . This is completely useless for evaluating a product that isn't actually a motor oil, such as a special purpose additive. If ARX were judged based on a VOA, nobody would ever buy it. The analysis sheet would just have a bunch of zeros on it.

It seemed to work on noisy lifters or maybe pushrods in a 93 cavalier 3.1V6 I had. It was a typical noise that most people don't care about. CD-2 oil detergent did quiet it down (probably not a lot, but it was a noticable difference).

Now I have this '91 Mazda 626 that I got for next to nothing. I've been working on it a lot lately. The motor is strong (very good compression!) but i am having to do a lot of little things + the oil is dirty and it is apparent that at some point the oil was not changed frequently enough (sludge- not terrible but enough to bug me). So I'm gonna try the CD-2 on this engine. I've had the valve cover off and I know how it looks (gonna take pics). If CD-2 cleans it up, I'll know soon enough. I guess since a VOA is inconclusive this is the only way to find out if the stuff works.

Last edited:
The real key is in the UOA. What in the CD-2 will provide for engine oiling system protection from CD-2. Will the real active ingedient volatiize off soon after introduction, leaving the host oil to carry the contamination load over the length of the OCI? Get some data we can sink our teeth into. Tell us about the current compression readings, show us some filter pics, UOA's from prior and post treatment, as well as new compression numbers.

its main purpose is cleaning. it may not affect a uoa's metal readings at all.

current compression readings are 165-162-160-168. engine has 164k miles.

Last edited:
At least you have a nice even cluster, with respect to compression. I assume that the lower numbers are the internal cylinders that likely run a bit hotter than the external cylinders. Is this average of about 164 in the middle, top, or bottom of spec for this motor?

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

Uh oh I think the voice of reason just showed up. Everybody run and hide.
27.gif

I think you absolutely right. Waaay to many conclusions are drawn solely based on VOA and MSDS sheets for that matter too.

actually i found out 162psi is factory, so i can account the higher numbers to carbon buildup. messed up fuel injector on the one w/ 168 and bad ignition wire on the one w/ 165 (for who knows how long, i just got the car about a week ago). so im gonna run it for a while now that everything is fixed and see what changes. regardless, i am quite impressed at how well this engine has held its compression, especially considering its age. the guy I bought the car from told me it was at 40psi in one of the cylinders (his mechanic was trying to rip him off for the cost of a new engine apparently). also less than 1% leakdown on all cylinders. good strong motor!

I poured 1 bottle of CD-2 oil detergent in with a fresh oci of Havoline DS 5w30. We'll see in a little bit if it cleans up the varnish. I took a 'before' pic under the valve cover and will take one after about 2000mi. Engine runs nice and smooth/quiet with this combo though.

Last edited:
don't seriously care about the visual side of things. You should provide us with wet/dry compression tests for the before and after treatment.

Last edited:
no oil additive is going to raise engine compression. that's outside the scope of its purpose.

*edit* ok maybe "Restore" does, temporarily, but CD-2 doesn't even claim to do that. Using an additive to raise compression is definitely a band-aid, and this car doesn't even need that anyway.

Last edited:
Compression can go up after the ring packs are cleaned up, sometimes. More than likely if they are worn and in need of replacement nothing is going to help, if they're dirty there's hope.

AD

You are right, no simple oil "additive" that I have tried has significantly raised compression long-term. I have, however, seen firsthand that the engine cleaner, Auto-Rx can significantly raise compression on a cylinder if the rings/grooves were dirty and rings partially stuck. The higher compression and resulting higher horsepower does not go away and certainly would not be considered a bandaid....the Restore stuff, OTOH.....I see that as more of a bandaid for a dying engine.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
You are right, no simple oil "additive" that I have tried has significantly raised compression long-term. I have, however, seen firsthand that the engine cleaner, Auto-Rx can significantly raise compression on a cylinder if the rings/grooves were dirty and rings partially stuck. The higher compression and resulting higher horsepower does not go away and certainly would not be considered a bandaid....the Restore stuff, OTOH.....I see that as more of a bandaid for a dying engine.

+1 There is a big word in your statement: IF. "If the rings/grooves are dirty or partially stuck". People have to understand a neglected engine, or one of unknown history might have mechanical issues way beyond the scope of an oil additive. It's these cases where a product will not work, no way, no how.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back