Seems like CD-2 oil detergent is similar to ARX

hal

After looking around and reading I think that Auto-RX and CD-2 Oil Detergent are very similar if not basically the same. CD-2 smells like a high-quality synethetic oil (esters?) and has the same color as oil, but a bit lighter weight maybe a 5-10w? also I have read that CD-2 will send all the junk to your oil filter and you can see it in there if you cut it open like you can w/ ARX. Being that it's more readily available and less expensive, I think I may try it on an engine that's in need of cleaning. I have used CD-2 in the past on a car w/ noisy lifters and it does work for that too.

I'd like to know where you are "finding this?" CD2 "Oil Detergent" was mentioned by a long time poster on his second ID in the thread on Rislone, a thread in fact I was going through today. I believe he said something to the affect that CD2 seems very similar to AutoRX in his experience. Unfortunately, the thread became hot as Frank entered and it became sort of a flame war and many of the posts were deleted as were his. I have no idea if CD2 is similar, or even works as well, as AutoRX. I have used it extensively and believe that I have had good results with it and it is widely available at a fraction of the price of ARX. CD2 makes no claims about cleaning other than it can unstick clogged lifters (it can, in my experience). I would say that Rislone is pretty much in the same category as a tried and true product that many believe has eliminated lifter ticks and extreme slugging in their engine --but are not popular here and are eclipsed by the popularity of ARX on this board...

Last edited:
COMPONENT CAS NUMBER CONCENTRATION (wt %) Hydrotreated spent lube 64742-58-1 70 – 80 oil (petroleum) Residual oils, petroleum, solvent 64742-62-7 20 – 30 dewaxed Sounds like it's mostly oil. I wonder if it has a boatload of calcium or something?

hal

CD-2 is at any auto parts store On the front in big letters: "CLEANS, QUIETS" On the back: -frees sticky lifters/valves/rings -replenishes detergents and dispersants -dissolves sludge, carbon and gum -cleans ALL internal engine parts etc etc etc Says to use it when changing oil and use it for 2000 miles, or use 2 bottles for heavily sludged engines or sticky lifters, etc. Sounds to me that it's a slow-cleaning type chemical and should be very safe because of that. As I said I have used it before (for lifters) with good results. And even the directions are similar.

Last edited:
Used CD-2 in my clients cars some 14+yrs ago, and never witness any noticeable outcome out of it. In the end: I classify them similar to all other OTC 10-min gratification in-a-can. Q.

MolaKule did not give the specific label wording. It could be the detergent. I think it was a yellow bottle for the detergent and it's thin, so this VOA may be it.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
MolaKule did not give the specific label wording. It could be the detergent. I think it was a yellow bottle for the detergent and it's thin, so this VOA may be it.
Kinda hope not because that stuff is empty nothing in it ,unless a VOA dosent pick up whats doing the cleaning?