Seeking a warmer climate

Arizona, New Mexico are desirable if you're looking for dry / warmer temps. Prescott, Az is great as is Las Cruces NM. Just be mindful of altitude and you'll be ok. I currently live south of Tucson at 3000 ft. The summers are hot but even then you have nice mornings and decent late afternoons. After summer passes the desert is sublime the other 3 seasons. I left Houston heat and humidity years ago and haven't looked back.

[Linked Image]

Humidity is your friend if you have sensitive skin or nose bleeds.

I used to love the idea of living in NV or AZ until I spent time there in the winter and dried up like a prune. My knuckles looked worse than a those on a bare knuckle boxer. I couldn't moisturize or drink enough water to beat it.

I have lived in Texas for almost 30 years. Summer is tough, but winters are great

The place where I was born in Mexico looks more like Arizona, I have no problems with altitude or dry climate.

The big plus is that my asthma gets better with no low humidity and lower temperature changes.

Originally Posted by Reddy45

I used to love the idea of living in NV or AZ until I spent time there in the winter and dried up like a prune. My knuckles looked worse than a those on a bare knuckle boxer. I couldn't moisturize or drink enough water to beat it.

This is the debate I'm having with the wife. She likes NV but I like humidity.

If you don't need to work, it opens up a lot of possibilities. I really like San Diego area. Lots of great restaurants and beautiful scenery. And really fun and healthy vibe.

Originally Posted by Leo99

This is the debate I'm having with the wife. She likes NV but I like humidity.

If you don't need to work, it opens up a lot of possibilities. I really like San Diego area. Lots of great restaurants and beautiful scenery. And really fun and healthy vibe.

This is exactly what I experienced too. I never thought I would miss the humidity of the Richmond, VA area but traveling out West dried me up so bad my hands were cracked open and bleeding.

No need to work any more, I said good bye to all of that 5 years ago at age 52. I really enjoy working on cars and learning how they are put together kind keeps
my brain busy. Where I am is just too cold for to long and basically become a indoor slave do to the asthma problem.

Marquette Michigan in the summer.
Lakeland Florida in the winter.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
North Carolina strikes me as a good balance between hot and cold.

But if you want dry heat, you need to look to the west of the country - California, Arizona, etc. With that said, I lived in AZ for 2 years (PHX area), and the Summers are brutal - can't really be enjoying outdoors during daytime. At least when it's cold, you can layer up. When it's too hot - you can't do much about it other than stay indoors.

What is it about 1-2 months that are brutal in Phx, AZ? and the rest of the year it's great? I think I could live there, gotta be better than our humid summers and gray/cold winters.

Don't move up to Saskatchewan then. its hot and dry during the summer... if summer ever arrives. We are supposed to be well above 0C right now, but it was still -20C ambient at night this past weekend.

Originally from frozen Michigan and last 10 years in Arizona. Arizona by far is best. At 115 degrees you go outside for short periods and there is no being sweaty and sticky. It feels like you're in a hottub the warmth soaks into your bones. So a few months of Crematoria and mild sunny winters in exchange for a few months of no sun and freezing shoveling and scraping and hot humid summers... Then of course riding SXS to grocery store and gun rights is icing on the cake.

Originally Posted by LazyDog

After been here in the mid west since the middle 80's, I have learned to hate the cold weather. I love the heat and if dry is even better.
What place will you consider moving that has no nasty winters.

Your best step is fleeing Illinois. That's a good starting point. I spent a winter in Cali and it was really weird. I would go back under the right circumstances.

Central South Carolina and Western South Carolina.
Pretty much anything along I 20 from Camden to Aiken and west of there.
You will still get some cold short winters but plenty of dry (compared to the coast) 90+ heat in the warm weather.

Extreme west of I20 and you're getting closer to the mountains so it will be cooler and extreme east you're getting close to the shore and of course will be more humid.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by diyjake
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
North Carolina strikes me as a good balance between hot and cold.

But if you want dry heat, you need to look to the west of the country - California, Arizona, etc. With that said, I lived in AZ for 2 years (PHX area), and the Summers are brutal - can't really be enjoying outdoors during daytime. At least when it's cold, you can layer up. When it's too hot - you can't do much about it other than stay indoors.

What is it about 1-2 months that are brutal in Phx, AZ? and the rest of the year it's great? I think I could live there, gotta be better than our humid summers and gray/cold winters.

Yup, it's not bad overall. And if you want to get away from the oppressive heat, you could drive 2 hours north to Flagstaff for a day.

Originally Posted by alarmguy
Central South Carolina and Western South Carolina.
Pretty much anything along I 20 from Camden to Aiken and west of there.
You will still get some cold short winters but plenty of dry (compared to the coast) 90+ heat in the warm weather.

Extreme west of I20 and you're getting closer to the mountains so it will be cooler and extreme east you're getting close to the shore and of course will be more humid.

We close on a house in Edgefield in less than 2 weeks. I can't wait to move out in that area.

If you really love dry heat, then Arizona seems like a good option. I've spent some time in Tucson and considered buying property there, but the summers are just not liveable for me. They also have giant bugs there, which isn't my thing.

I have a place in Ventura, and will likely move there full time at some point. It's room temperature year-round. Never gets too hot, never gets cold. Inland just a but it's dramatically warmer. I don't want to live in air conditioning. Just not my thing. And I spend a lot of time outside. The idea of riding my bike in 100 degree weather has little appeal. In terms of weather, Cali's central coast is probably among the best climates in the world.

Like all beach communities, it's expensive--though less than many places. It's paradise to me.

Originally Posted by LazyDog

After been here in the mid west since the middle 80's, I have learned to hate the cold weather. I love the heat and if dry is even better.
What place will you consider moving that has no nasty winters.

We are moving from the Albany area to the DE beach area. Its a lot warmer in DE and less snow and salt. But it still has seasons and not quite Florida palm tree weather.

If you want dry heat you need to move to New Mexico or Arizona.

But moving is more than weather. Family, jobs, retirement, activities you like like the ocean or skiing, etc. Taxes.

Back