Seeing more FL820s failures... suggestions for other filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Bettez88

I'm debating on doing that with my wife's fit but apparently you can run the Oem filter for two 7,500 oci. Not sure

I have gone much longer than 2 oil change intervals on some filters.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by PantherFan88
but among CVN, BITOG and other platforms, it seems like the tearing media problem is persisting or worsening...

But of course, you believe everything you read on the internet?

Believe what you want. I've personally found 2 torn Fl820s this last year in the 7 trucks I have. I've also found 1 Fl500s with a tear. I posted these with pictures on this site. The internet might not be to cause of this problem.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by TXCarGeek
I went with a Tough Guard in lieu of the FL820S that I had always used. Ultras have a good reputation on here but I don't run long enough OCIs to take advantage of the Ultras extended life.

This ^^
You can't go wrong with a tough guard

15,000 miles on this one

Fram TG10575 cut open 15,000 mi (2 OCI)
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4426839/

Looks very good! I'm running two tough guards and one ultra on my three vehicles that spin on canisters...I'll be cutting open all of the Frams to see how they've held up.

As an aside, I see you're from Waco...I'm a Baylor grad and am now in the Corpus Christi area. Really enjoyed my time in Waco and love visiting!

Luckily I have only one FL820 left in my stash. I don't run my oil very long in my engine. Nothing beyond 5K. Usually a bit less. So I will use up this last filter and then use the ST2 filters I have. I checked out the new orange Fram filters while at WM this week and I think they looked pretty good. I may try one. I have missed the black grip on the ends of Frams but have been avoiding them for years.

Originally Posted by PantherFan88
Been using nothing but MC FL820s filters on every Ford panther chassis I've owned, but among CVN, BITOG and other platforms, it seems like the tearing media problem is persisting or worsening...

What are some of the local favorites in regards to alternatives for the venerable 2v 4.6? Considering the Napa Gold or Bosch? Opinions welcome!

NAPA GOLD, M1, BOSCH, and WIX, are good selections.

Ive been running the Amsoil filter on my Ford Superduty that calls for an fl820s. I really like the over all build quality and efficiency of the Amsoil filter. They are expensive, but I only change it once a year.
My other choice would be Wix/napa gold, also a well built filter.

Originally Posted by cronk
Ive been running the Amsoil filter on my Ford Superduty that calls for an fl820s. I really like the over all build quality and efficiency of the Amsoil filter. They are expensive, but I only change it once a year.

What is the efficiency of the AMSOIL filter?

I've ran motorcraft filters for years and never had one fail, then again I've never cut any filter open. In fact the only filter I have any knowledge of failing was my buddies Tahoe had a Fram burst but luckily he caught it before it did any damage. He started his car one morning in the winter and when he came back out he noticed oil running down the drive way. Lost a couple qts but didn't run the sump dry.

Originally Posted by D1dad
I've ran motorcraft filters for years and never had one fail, then again I've never cut any filter open. In fact the only filter I have any knowledge of failing was my buddies Tahoe had a Fram burst but luckily he caught it before it did any damage. He started his car one morning in the winter and when he came back out he noticed oil running down the drive way. Lost a couple qts but didn't run the sump dry.

So since you did not see it, it never happened?

And for your buddy, was it a can failure or a o-ring failure (ie double gasket).
That is the thing with supposed Fram failures, it is always a friends uncle's dads cousin's sister that had it happen, never first person.

Originally Posted by tundraotto
Originally Posted by cronk

What is the efficiency of the AMSOIL filter?

98.7% @ 20 microns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back