Seed money for a more prosperous tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're there for the good of humankind....

Researchers Fail to Reveal Full Drug Pay

A world-renowned Harvard child psychiatrist whose work has helped fuel an explosion in the use of powerful antipsychotic medicines in children earned at least $1.6 million in consulting fees from drug makers from 2000 to 2007 but for years did not report much of this income to university officials, according to information given Congressional investigators.
Skip to next paragraph
J. Scott Applewhite/Associated Press

Senator Charles E. Grassley pushed three experts in child psychiatry at Harvard to expose their income from consulting fees.

Dr. Joseph Biederman belatedly reported at least $1.6 million in consulting fees.

By failing to report income, the psychiatrist, Dr. Joseph Biederman, and a colleague in the psychiatry department at Harvard Medical School, Dr. Timothy E. Wilens, may have violated federal and university research rules designed to police potential conflicts of interest, according to Senator Charles E. Grassley, Republican of Iowa. Some of their research is financed by government grants.

Like Dr. Biederman, Dr. Wilens belatedly reported earning at least $1.6 million from 2000 to 2007, and another Harvard colleague, Dr. Thomas Spencer, reported earning at least $1 million after being pressed by Mr. Grassley’s investigators. But even these amended disclosures may understate the researchers’ outside income because some entries contradict payment information from drug makers, Mr. Grassley found.

In one example, Dr. Biederman reported no income from Johnson & Johnson for 2001 in a disclosure report filed with the university. When asked to check again, he said he received $3,500. But Johnson & Johnson told Mr. Grassley that it paid him $58,169 in 2001, Mr. Grassley found.

The Harvard group’s consulting arrangements with drug makers were already controversial because of the researchers’ advocacy of unapproved uses of psychiatric medicines in children.

NY Times - registration required to view text

Publish or perish.....has morphed into keep 3 sets of books or perish!
whistle.gif

Not feeling like registrating to read the article, but by your post is the basic truth of FOLLOW THE MONEY . Politicians decisions . scientists decisions,blah ,blah, blah ! I have a hard time bilieving anything /anybody because when it comes to money there goes honor, integrity, morals ,values,honesty. I see this everywhere .

I'm sure that there's a flip side to the coin too. For example, getting kickbacks for the managers at my old plant was common. Not so much for the "most favored vendor" status ..but more for the fact that the corporate structure didn't allow enough of a wage for the job that the manager did ..and the GM wanted that guy in the slot due to very high productivity from his management (whether it be maintenance/engineering/etc.). So, it was, more or less, a perk off of the books to keep a guy worth more than you could pay him where he was.

..but this surely discounts any academic tenet of the pure researcher for research's sake.

How the noble fall from grace.

I read that this morning and almost started a thread like this one. You beat me to it Gary :)

These child pscyhology drugs are really dangerous. I see so many parents around me medicating their children. The parents and doctors claim it is for the children. But for many of these parents, its for the convenience of the parents and teachers to keep the kids pacified and homogeneous in behavior. It's really tragic. I remember in grad school, I had some really smart classmates. Usually the brilliant ones were not well-rounded and were kinda quirky. YOu also couldn't get their attention very easily when they were concentrating. But these people made brilliant contributions that most people can't. I'm sure if these people got diagnosed, they'd walk away with a long list of labels about their deficiencies along with a long list of drugs to "help" them become "normal." Uniqueness is a illness these days.

Mum was glad when her teaching career was over.

At her school (Catholic), it had reached the point where 1 in 10 of the children were medicated.

I know people who dope up their kids with paracetamol or fenurgen "to give them a good night's sleep".

Got a laugh out of this yesterday.
kiddynurofen.jpg

not a funny laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back