See my oil reply to a guy on another forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Anything over 7500 is considered synthetic territory? Wow, I didn't know that.

I've always considered conventional to be just fine for intervals up to 10k.

Plus, I've found 7500 to be a relatively short interval.

Errr....isn't that kinda a loaded disposition?

Outside of a Honda ..or a few using GM OLM ..just what engines/chassis spec over 7500 ..how many over 5000 ..conventional or otherwise
54.gif

You must be doing morning calisthenics ..lots of stretching involved.
grin2.gif

Ford is at 7500 miles.

If you take, Honda, GM and Ford vehicles and combine them together, that's a large portion of the market.

..and if you kick out Honda ....7500 miles, RIGHT?

So ..can you confidently say that MOST professionals in automotive engineering ..and blah-blah-blah ...consider 10k a "walk in the park" for a conventional oil?

...or are they in the distinct minority???

grin2.gif

(DISCLAIMER: Professional The Critic harasser on a closed course. No Critic was harmed in this demonstration)

Anything over 7500 is considered synthetic territory? Wow, I didn't know that.

I've always considered conventional to be just fine for intervals up to 10k.

Plus, I've found 7500 to be a relatively short interval.

Errr....isn't that kinda a loaded disposition?

Outside of a Honda ..or a few using GM OLM ..just what engines/chassis spec over 7500 ..how many over 5000 ..conventional or otherwise
54.gif

You must be doing morning calisthenics ..lots of stretching involved.
grin2.gif

Ford is at 7500 miles.

If you take, Honda, GM and Ford vehicles and combine them together, that's a large portion of the market.

..and if you kick out Honda ....7500 miles, RIGHT?

So ..can you confidently say that MOST professionals in automotive engineering ..and blah-blah-blah ...consider 10k a "walk in the park" for a conventional oil?

...or are they in the distinct minority???

grin2.gif

The newest Powerjokes do recommend 10k under normal service I believe, if you really want to get specific.

Note that I never mentioned anything about "manufacturer" recommended intervals. What I said in the first post is strictly my opinion.

Well, you also said that you consider 7500 a rather short interval. Again, outside of a Honda or OLM equipped engine ..that kinda falls a bit out of the average consumer's annual driving routine of 6m/7500 miles ..which ever comes first. How many people do over 15k/year ..other than Bill in Utah. He doesn't do 10k on conventional last I checked (it really isn't my turn to watch him ).

Originally Posted By: FastSUV
Originally Posted By: StevieC
The only comment I have is this... Just because another oil company like Amsoil uses a Base-Stock from Mobil doesn't mean that the oils are the same or close to the same... Base oils aren't even close to being everything in an oil. It's the additive pack that counts...

Good Learning...
grin2.gif

Yeah I know, but seeing that Mobil-1 is a good oil, I can't say Amsoil is sooooo much better that it justifies the price or availability unless you really are gonna run it 20k or whatever Amsoil says it can go. I have no doubt that the additive pkg is better. I just did not want to write a paper on oil and threw that in for him to know.

Base stocks have very little to do with the final product unless you care about what group it is. I agree with the other guy just because Mobil makes base stocks for a lot of the other mfg's does not mean that the finished oils are even close to the same thing.

Oh, one other thing. I never thought I would see someone who was more long winded than I am. WOW!
LOL.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: FastSUV
Originally Posted By: StevieC
The only comment I have is this... Just because another oil company like Amsoil uses a Base-Stock from Mobil doesn't mean that the oils are the same or close to the same... Base oils aren't even close to being everything in an oil. It's the additive pack that counts...

Good Learning...
grin2.gif

Yeah I know, but seeing that Mobil-1 is a good oil, I can't say Amsoil is sooooo much better that it justifies the price or availability unless you really are gonna run it 20k or whatever Amsoil says it can go. I have no doubt that the additive pkg is better. I just did not want to write a paper on oil and threw that in for him to know.

Base stocks have very little to do with the final product unless you care about what group it is. I agree with the other guy just because Mobil makes base stocks for a lot of the other mfg's does not mean that the finished oils are even close to the same thing.

Oh, one other thing. I never thought I would see someone who was more long winded than I am. WOW!
LOL.gif

LOL nice...he caught me with the question at just the right time...anyway, I AGREE with you...base oil doesn't determine final result...but again, I was just using that as another way of saying Mobil-1 is a decent oil for what you can get at Wal-mart versus obtaining Amsoil.

Mobil-1 is a very good oil, but IMO Amsoil performs better in my application. I also like how well it performs in the winter compared to Mobil. (Lifter ticking with M1, but not with Amsoil).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back