Second year in a row, Ford Engine of the Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So much nonsense on heat transfer here.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/thermal-conductivity-d_429.html

In thermal conductivity higher numbers transfer heat better, note the materials listed high in the table are used for radiators and computer heat sinks as others have noted.

Now as to thermal mass of the block:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/specific-heat-metals-d_152.html

Higher numbers take more heat to warm up, but if you notice it is heat per unit of mass per degree of temperature change. Note Aluminium is nearly twice the specific heat of iron, but Iron is close to 3x the density of aluminium so on a rough calculation basis iron should warm up the same amount in 50% more time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

EG-36 ENGINE — 2AZ-FE ENGINE MECHANICAL (Page 4)
"The cylinder block is made of aluminum alloy. Producing the thin cast-iron liners and aluminum alloy cylinder block as a unit realizes a compact design. The liner is thin, and reboring is not possible."

You may be on to something. Cadillac's Northstar engine used cast-in iron liners that are so thin, they can't be re-bored. That engine is also known for oil consumption issues and for head bolt thread issues.

Correlation?

Originally Posted By: gonefishing
Cast iron probably does a better job of retaining the heat in the engine block vs. aluminum. With a small engine block like this made of aluminum, it would probably displace the heat on it's own in addition to liquid cooling system. The strength of iron might be an additional reason they went that route because of the high power density.

I also wouldn't think that this small of a block would weigh that much more in an iron form vs. aluminum. A large displacement V8 would have a greater difference between iron and aluminum.

Yep, our iron-block Cruze retains engine heat much better than our aluminum-block Fit.

I have few worries about the longetivity of these small-displacement turbocharged engines. Change the oil regularly with the manufacturer-recommended oil and it'll last longer than the car's body will. Might have to replace a turbo along the way, but those are cheap and easy to do on a small engine. Unless it's buried underneath a pile of brittle rubber spaghetti, as Ford is wont to do with their engines.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
I want to pat Ford on the back for good engineering but I'm hesitant. The more we live with low displacement DI turbo engines the more we learn their real world fuel efficiency is barely equal to and actually sometimes a step back from a good NA setup. So the automakers are foisting these things on us to meet EPA regs. yet we're losing smoothness/refinement and not paying any less at the pump.

With such a small displacement I think having DI isn't really very necessary IMO, but it may help drivers who are not conscious of avoiding low efficiency modes of the engine--mainly, running it at low throttle high vacuum manifold pressure when they should be shifting into a higher gear and almost lugging it at much lower rpm to run it closer to WOT mode.

I'm in 5th often at 30 to 35 mph. Not much standby power, I'd have to wait a second or two to shift to 3rd for emergency acceleration. So, in that sense the turbo would be nice to have that wider range of power that is a little more forgiving about being in the right gear.

Anyone know how much extra it costs Ford to add DI over FI?

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Isn't the point of the small turbo motors, to have a smaller engine for good cruising mileage, but still has enough hp to produce adequate acceleration?
At least for me, I find I get the best mileage if I drive almost in a binary fashion, either accelerate briskly or cruising. No long gradual changes in speed where the engine is making some power inefficiently. I think this habit kills mileage more with the small turbo motors than with a larger NA motor.

Well, since modern engines are almost universally overpowered, the way hypermilers make the best of it is jackrabbit starts, get up to speed and put it either in neutral or in 5th to just maintain speed.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals

EG-36 ENGINE — 2AZ-FE ENGINE MECHANICAL (Page 4)
"The cylinder block is made of aluminum alloy. Producing the thin cast-iron liners and aluminum alloy cylinder block as a unit realizes a compact design. The liner is thin, and reboring is not possible."

You may be on to something. Cadillac's Northstar engine used cast-in iron liners that are so thin, they can't be re-bored. That engine is also known for oil consumption issues and for head bolt thread issues.

Correlation?

Same as every aluminum LS block since they first came out in '97.

Originally Posted By: morris
steve dont worry its not your job. thats why i read only about 10% of the posts. and very very seldom say someone is wrong. i try to stick to what KNOW that i KNOW. but i might say, "i think" or "if i remember right".

Thanks old timer.

With a very busy machine shop in the family I dare say my real world experience and info is considerable. When I posted I simply had no time for a voluminous post explaining everything.

And the last thing I worry about is what others "assume"!

Last edited:
Oh, and thanks to Duffman for posting relevant data. Some of us get it!

Assuming an engine uses oil because of its block material is misinformed. It really is that simplistic.

As I said once before some of the highest output motors sold are all aluminum, liners or not. They do not automatically consume oil.

I especially like the flat declaration that Fords do not use oil. Needless to say many Ford owners might say differently. Every manufacturer turns out a few lemons. Every single one...

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: A_Harman

There is a lot wrong in the above paragraph:
1. Poor fuel economy has everything to do with stoichiometry. Lean burn engines are more efficient than stoichiometric engines, which are in turn more efficient than rich burn engines.

According to http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/stoichiometric-combustion-d_399.html

Stochiometric combustion is where you use all the fuel you put into the system. Which in a gas engine is 13:1 (14.7:1 because of the cats). At that point, you are at maximum efficiency. You are getting the most power for your gas - you are not wasting it as unburnt or robbing yourself of power because of lean burn.

Lean burn engines are a way to overcome pumping losses in gasoline engines. At part throttle openings and under low load you can feed it less gas to increase the MPGs but you are not going to run lean burn at WOT or anywhere near that as power will be lost.

Quote:
2. Not all engine strive for stoichiometric combustion. Ever hear of diesels?

Diesles are a different breed. They have a stochiometric point too. And they also widely vary the A/F ratio. The issue with Diesels is at the stochiometric ratio there is lots of soot and smoke so we dial it back.

Quote:
3. O2 sensors only maintain gasoline engines at stoichiometric A/F up to a set manifold pressure, above which, enrichment is used to make full power and to protect engine parts, turbos, and cats from overheating.

And I believe I read where the EPA is cracking down on the enrichment at WOT and coaxing manufacturers to stay closed loop and stochiometric at all engine speeds. I know you rarely see the puff of black smoke anymore when someone "gets on it".

I also think that Direct Injection helps with a lot of these issues as it does help to reduce detonation (cooling effect), and seems to be more precse as far as getting gas to the cylendars.

After having worked deeply in engine development as a professional engineer since 1985 at GM, John Deere, Cummins, and at a Tier One automotive supplier, I can assure that what I have written is correct. Stoichiometric is just the point where there is exactly enough fuel in the combustion chamber to combine with the oxygen that is available. Stoichiometric air/fuel ratio for gasoline is 14.7:1, not 13:1. Stoichiometric is neither best power, nor best economy in premix charge engines. Best power is achieved in most engines at ~10% richer than stoichiometric. Best economy is achieved at ~10% lean.

But modern engines' emissions systems are designed to operate at stoichiometric for emissions control. Running rich of stoich will increase an engine's CO and HC emissions. Running lean of stoich will increase an engine's NOx emissions. Therefore, running at stoich optimizes and engines' exhaust gas content to allow the 3-way catalyst to operate most efficiently.

"Diesels are a different breed." Good of you to recognize that because many people don't, but I was responding to your original blanket statement that "Engines strive for stoichiometric". Diesel engines operate in the region of 100:1 to 22:1 air/fuel ratio from idle to designed rated power. Yes, stoich for diesel fuel is 14.5, but no engine sold with a warranty gets there in steady-state operation. Once the air/fuel ratio goes lower than ~20, visible smoke sets in, and even though the engine will make more power at the richer mixture, the thermal efficiency drops because there is not enough time for good mixing of air and fuel in the cylinder. If you want to see diesels running at stoich, go to a tractor pull.

I can believe that the EPA would take it upon themselves to crack down on full power enrichment because they currently take a lot of things on themselves that they shouldn't. But auto manufacturers don't put over-rich operation modes at WOT in their ECM's to spite the EPA. They do it to protect their engines. And the EPA is partly to blame for creating this circumstance. They started regulating cold-start emissions in the late '90's, forcing automakers to move catalytic converters closer to the engines, thereby increasing the inlet temperatures and overtemping the cats. The OEM's then had to richen up the mixtures at high load conditions to ~10-11:1 A/F to keep catalyst inlet temperatures down to ~1650F. And by the way, engine power is actually less at these over-rich A/F's; power drops off after 12.5. "Be careful what you ask for, you might just get it."

Last edited:
Wow, that list is dominated by the Germans. Nissan VQ totally absent!

(Ward's Auto is the other big engine list that seems to carry weight.)

There are no flat declarations about oil consumption. One only has to go back to see words like "generally don't", "most", and "Almost every". Moving on to the discussion regarding Ford's claim of 50% faster warmup with a cast iron block.. According to the responses, Ford is wrong, and aluminum would do a better job. Guess we will see in the years ahead how this engines fares, and if there is any noticeable difference. Another I wonder about is if the cast iron insulates any better for mechanical engine noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back