Second year in a row, Ford Engine of the Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: EType
Cast iron block for faster warm up.

Where does it state cast iron? Why would cast iron warm faster than thin aluminum so many use? The question comes from the Toyota side. The newer ford engines generally don't burn any oil, most Toyotas do. Toyotas have a thin aluminum blocks. The consumption problems are the pistons, oil flashing, heat. So I'm thinking cast iron dissipates heat better, why the fords don't see the oil consumption. Cooler pistons.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Originally Posted By: EType
Cast iron block for faster warm up.

Where does it state cast iron?

The accompanying photo with the article sure seems to be aluminum parts attached to a CI block.

I want to pat Ford on the back for good engineering but I'm hesitant. The more we live with low displacement DI turbo engines the more we learn their real world fuel efficiency is barely equal to and actually sometimes a step back from a good NA setup. So the automakers are foisting these things on us to meet EPA regs. yet we're losing smoothness/refinement and not paying any less at the pump.

C'mon, "most Toyotas burn oil"? I seriously doubt the majority of them do. Sure they made some lemons, but they are the only ones you hear about.

Most Toyota owners aren't on BITOG complaining about their oil consumption issues.

Also note that just because a block is aluminum there is no reason to assume it is somehow thin. I love my iron blocks, especially when seeking higher power levels, but some of the highest powered engines in the world are all aluminum!

Back OT, I agree with above where it was said we need to learn more about the longevity of these setups. New tech is not always good tech. Our three Ebooster V6's in this family averaged just a tick over 17 mpg which is not impressive IMO.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
I want to pat Ford on the back for good engineering but I'm hesitant. The more we live with low displacement DI turbo engines the more we learn their real world fuel efficiency is barely equal to and actually sometimes a step back from a good NA setup. So the automakers are foisting these things on us to meet EPA regs. yet we're losing smoothness/refinement and not paying any less at the pump.

Guy at work has a 13 Fusion and its very smooth and doesn't sound bad at all. Can't comment aout MPG's but from the smoothness and "pep" front, there is nothing wrong with it.

3 Cylendars will be interesting to see how they do.

Originally Posted By: gofast182

+1 this.

Yep, most. I don't say that without experience and research on the subject. Oil consumption, oil related complaints skyrocketed after Toyota switched over to a thin aluminum lightweight block that looks like a skeleton, carved and hacked up to remove every last ounce of metal for MPG. searing surface temps, no heat dissipation. Now Toyota's pushing syn. Hehe makes sense. Meanwhile cast iron block fords burn no oil..

I love what Ford and GM are doing with lower displacement turbocharged engines. I've never hid the fact that I grew up on larger displacement V-8 engines, and simply prefer the higher-revving nature of smaller engines. My first real foray into it was with a 2007 Corolla with a 5-speed. Coming from a Cadillac with a 300-hp V-8, I was skeptical that the Corolla would keep my interest, with having all of 128 horses on tap. In retrospect, it's one of the cars that I enjoyed driving the most. The engine and transmission were just effortless together. That 1ZZ-FE engine was smooth and moved the sub-3000 pound Corolla around quite well. I had to sell it for a variety of issues...though most of it was because my wife cannot drive a manual due to a left foot injury many years ago.

I digressed. I'm pleased to see the engineering effort going into making these smaller engines work, and work well. I share others' concerns about long-term durability, but I'm still very excited about the future...especially tunability of these FI engines.

I'd suggest taking the Toyota topic to a new thread if you want to continue to discuss it, rather than using this thread for that. I have an opinion on it, having owned two of them, but I won't post it here.

The fuel economy on the Eco-Boast isn't always what it is supposed to be. My understanding is that it requires a VERY steady foot in order to get the gas mileage; if you don't have a steady foot it's always spooling up the turbo more, using more fuel, etc.

My parents traded their 2008 Wrangler on a 2013 Escape 2.0 EB. For a heavier vehicle, with an automatic transmission and significantly higher gearing (4.10 on the Wrangler, 3.07 on the Escape), the escape just has LOADS of power.

That's probably what I like the most about the Eco-Boast engine. The amount of low end torque, especially for a 4 Cylinder, is amazing!

I recently took a 250 mile trip with the parents in their Escape. I was able to average 27.5 MPG. Not as good as I had hoped for, but still not terrible for a heavy AWD SUV.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Wasnt the intention. The intention is to know why Ford uses a cast iron block. If thats ok with you.

Warms up quicker and retains heat longer. My aluminum block focus has a hard time warming up and keeping temperature in the winter unless you drive it hard. The thermostat works correctly ... but it just doesn't like to retain heat.

I walk through a huge parking lot with the dog every day. Almost every Ford I look at from mid 2k to present has a crystal clear tailpipe, like they are running on water. No carbon at all. No carbon, no oil burning. Wonder what they do different vs. others makes.

Originally Posted By: millerbl00
Lets see it make 150k miles no problems then I will be impressed.

I don't see why it couldn't. Most, or all new Ford engines can do this assuming you're doing all the routine maintenance on time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back