Second Teir Sythentics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard ST's oil has a TBN generally around 7-8. And I have heard it quickly deteriorates. However, I would have no problem using their oil, especially if they had an 0w20 for the full MM on my Honda. It is fine oil IMO. But who am I? Cheers.

I'd rate synthetic oils like this.
1. Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple etc.
2. Pennzoil, Castrol, Valvoline, Mobil 1 etc.
3. ST, Peak, Havoline, Mobil Super and all the store brands.

Originally Posted By: laserred96gt

^^^ This ^^^

I did a test with ST Syn 5w30, it did as well as M1, Amsoil and VWB at 5000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
I did a test with ST Syn 5w30, it did as well as M1, Amsoil and VWB at 5000 miles.

What were your criteria?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
How would you guys rate Citgo Supergard full synthetic?

It is a tier 3 synthetic because I feel/believe it is...and my engine doesn't "love" it.

They are blended by third parties to a price point set by the stores. If one considers an oil performance as the manufacturer performance specs then these private label oils rarely meet even difficult to achieve specs. Maybe they don't want to pay royalties or maybe they don't want to do all of the required testing.

Super tech for example meets API SN and ILSAC GF-5. To say it meets anything beyond that performance level is pure speculation. No Dexos, no ACEA, no Honda HTO-O6......

On the other hand Napa synthetic meets Dexos.

And besides those pesty specs that are actually very important a farmer that maintains a lot of rolling stock said to pay attention to the D2270 Viscosity Index, the TBN and the D5800 NOACK volatility mass % loss, 1 hr @250°C. He said that his lab work shows him that these are important considerations and the PQIA website is a good resource.

I did a 9700 mile uoa on ST 6 years ago and the analysis was ( at that mileage) one of the best I have seen in looking at BITOG UOA's for 12 years.Al. 3, Cu 4, Cr. 1, Fe. 8.

Royal Purple? LOL

Ummmm, No. (and this is the fun part of BITOG)
smile.gif

1a. Amsoil, Redline
1aa. M1 EP, Pennzoil Ultra
2. Basically every major brand and most store brands.
3. Odd-balls but you have to be specific and Lucas

Ha! Valvoline Syn as a "#2" along with Pennz and M1... it is definitely a step back... two if you go with the PU or M1EP. Heck, when you put RP (assuming API version), Valvoline, and "store brands" such as Napa on different tiers, that raised an eyebrow (as they often test out to be about the same). I would not consider them all that different. When you are setting up tiers, there has to be some measurable difference that equates into a usable advantage. Is M1 EP, M1 AFE, regular M1 on different tiers? The there would be four tiers if you add in Mobil Super. Just a blanket statement that "store brands" are third tier would be also absurd. Sure, most are nothing special but a few are surprisingly decent. To be a "tier" there has to be a real difference in some clearly quantifiable way... such as extended oil change intervals etc.

And Havoline is not "third tier".... not listening, lalalalala
whistle.gif

Dnewton ran supertech conventional in his wife's villager for 15000 miles iirc and the used oil analysis showed nothing out of the ordinary.
So if that's second tier then tier 1 should last well in excess of that.

Originally Posted By: wemay
http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html

those are all in 5w30 varieties, here's a VOA i did a while back on Meijer Syn 5w20

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3405878/1

and ignore the second post where i call supertech it's cousin. as was later pointed out to me, they are made by different warrens.

and here is the UOA i did the first time the OLM dipped to single Digits.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb..._Me#Post3464970

unfortunately i didn't do a follow up uoa when i actually changed this oil out for the current fill.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Clevy
Dnewton ran supertech conventional in his wife's villager for 15000 miles iirc and the used oil analysis showed nothing out of the ordinary.
So if that's second tier then tier 1 should last well in excess of that.

It wouldn't, all the wear metals are probably stuck in the deposits. LOL Not kidding!
I don't believe that no matter who claims it. I was born at night but not last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back