Second Engine Failure in Corvette tested by C&D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car & Driver 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Engine Failure Could Become More Common

The long term C7 Corvette Stingray belonging to the folks from Car & Driver blew an engine just 6,000 miles in – and the problem is one that could affect other C7 Corvette owners under very normal driving conditions. A similar engine failure happened to the corvette used in Car & Driver's Lightning Lap comparison test.

The alleged culprit? A bad oil filter -- both times.
21.gif

See more at: http://www.torquenews.com/106/car-driver...ome-more-common

Amazing. Perfect candidate for a well built premium filter like a FU.

I would love to see one of those failed filters cut open.

Why does he need to use sensationalist language and produce a long, overblown article when all he had to say was "engines in new Corvettes are failing due to defective oil filters"?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
E-Core?

I would love to know the design of these failed filters. They mentioned 'metal' getting loose... not much metal in an ecore except the can and leaf spring.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Why does he need to use sensationalist language and produce a long, overblown article when all he had to say was "engines in new Corvettes are failing due to defective oil filters"?

Because it is an American car, in Car and Driver. So it HAS to be garbage.

Remember how it was said in the 90s - and probably before that - that these magazines are accused of basically pandering to BMW and Audi (Audi A6 is supposedly C&D's "best car") so... Yeah.

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne

Remember how it was said in the 90s - and probably before that - that these magazines are accused of basically pandering to BMW and Audi (Audi A6 is supposedly C&D's "best car") so... Yeah.

That must explain why there are four domestic cars on CD's 10 Best list this year-two of which are GM products(the CTS and the Corvette)

Number of Audis on the list- 0
Number of BMWs on the list- 1

Thanks for clearing that up; I did not realize CD's bias towards Ingolstadt and Munich was so pervasive.

Does that new Corvette have a cartridge filter or a spin-on? Most of the new cars i've seen have the cartridge.

Looks like there has been some confusion on what is the correct filter for the C-7; the Z51 with dry sump uses a special oil filter:

"Z51 Oil Filter Replacement

This engine uses a special high performance oil filter, UPF48R or equivalent. Use of any other filter may lead to filter failure and/or severe engine damage."

"Some early 2014 Corvette 6.2L engines (RPO LT1) may have an oil filter that has an incorrect label on the can. The filter is correct, only the label is wrong.

The incorrect label says to replace the oil filter with a PF63 filter."

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/?s=2014+corvette+filter&search=Search

Maybe the dry sump oiling system puts too much pressure on the filters or something, but there have been many reports of new LT1s blowing up.

Originally Posted By: MCompact

That must explain why there are four domestic cars on CD's 10 Best list this year-two of which are GM products(the CTS and the Corvette)

Thanks for clearing that up; I did not realize CD's bias towards Ingolstadt and Munich was so pervasive.

Thank you! You beat me to that punch and I absolutely agree.

Thanks for the laughs.

Originally Posted By: MCompact

Yep, C&D was scathing in their criticism of the new BMW's for their ride and handling tuning, especially the steering feel. Read what they said about the Audi RS7 in their October 2014 issue.

They call it pretty straight...

thread gone off topic...
09.gif

Back to the topic. Anyone have pictures of this specific filter?

Thinking this is referring to same article discussed here previously linked below. The dates are the same (9/08/14) and I'm not seeing this as a second engine just a reprint of the orignal C&D Corvette engine failure. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Still not entirely sure how the filter is to blame here as my original comment in the linked thread asks. Where did the piece of metal come from? Too vague an explanation for me.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3479495/1

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Thinking this is referring to same article discussed here previously linked below. The dates are the same (9/08/14) and I'm not seeing this as a second engine just a reprint of the orignal C&D Corvette engine failure. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

C&D stated they've now lost two engines, as per the pic posted above...

http://i.imgur.com/zSSQN4C.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back