Seattle...a family city?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I visited Seattle while on my 1993 long road-trip. Loved the scenery, very different from my locale. I picked up this very odd, weird vibe though from some of the places and people. Trying to navigate was also frustrating: Some streets just end in a staircase, and the street continues on, but 100' up! Of course, the road map doesn't show that.

I was glad to have left. Unfortunately, that same weird, odd vibe has now infested Austin. They so much want to be the Seattle-of-the-South....proudly proclaiming themselves as "weird".

Go figure....

Hasn't "Keep Austin Weird" been the motto for a few decades now?? I remember seeing that bumper sticker many years ago. Now that the techies have grown to rival a lot of the bigger cities it's just more generically urban ( socially and economically ) and less "Texas" than it was in years past. They need more 24 hour drive thru zoos like they used to have in Pecos TX.

Personally, I find Seattle and Portland just variations on San Francisco in a lot of ways...just with a lot better traffic grid and infrastructure and more rain.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Well of course you are right. How stupid of me to think that socially, legally, and morally heroin addicts are exactly the same as a fella having a beer at a bar!

Guys coming home from having a drink at the bar kill a LOT more people a year than heroin addicts. On the list of things I worry about, someone passed out with a needle in his arm is pretty far down the list. Drunks are way higher.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Liberals love to pass laws.....more laws and more laws. They also all want a "safe space" where they are subject to no judgement or criticism.

fragile little things....they are...

as apposed to the other side who want to wall themselves in and not accept anyone who looks or thinks differently

who are the scared little things again?

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Technically, so is alcohol. It just takes a lot more to kill you.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Drugs are poison.
Kids die from alcohol poisoning every new class year at the local college.

Originally Posted By: CT8

Drugs are poison.

and guess who have the deepest pockets and oppose legal marijuana? Beer/liquor companies.

Their drugs are bad. Ours are good.

Quote:

"Deliberately provocative"? It's a decision about to take place in a city near my home.

You know...I have no idea nor do I really care what terms you use to try to say that somehow my desire to have a decent city to take my family to is somehow "ludicrous". People that work and pay taxes deserve to visit a city and choose ANY park they desire WITHOUT having to witness scum shoot-up. This type of misdirected "help" can occur in private clinics or facilities away from parks. What do you think parks are for...addicts? Are parks designed and paid for so criminals can break of our laws? That in itself is highly "ludicrous" and without any regard for decent people to enjoy a city.
Amsterdam? What a success story that is.

not sure if you are seriously riled up or suffering reading comprehension failure or just trolling. But basically you threw out the "Think of the children" argument. which is pretty weak tea, and rightly ridiculed if that is the gist of your argument.

You're just pulling it out of thin air that they're setting up drug safe spaces right in your backyard and parks, when the whole point of the program is the complete opposite to set these areas up away in order to cover up and sweep the problem under the rug and get it away and out of your parks. So if you want to "think of the children" you should be for this and not against.

That's why i called you out as doing a hot take.

Last edited:
The bad thing is the junkies steal and rob for their fix and they ruin the community they hang around in . They are pigs, as well as their cost for the bleeding hearts that feel the need to feed and shelter them.

The bad thing is the junkies steal and rob for their fix and they ruin the community they hang around in . They are pigs, as well as their cost for the bleeding hearts that feel the need to feed and shelter them.

+1.....Exactly my thoughts. The liberal Seattle government has ruined a once beautiful city.....and liberalism continues to do so throughout the country.

Drugs are poison.

Give them Darwin Awards.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

+1.....Exactly my thoughts. The liberal Seattle government has ruined a once beautiful city.....and liberalism continues to do so throughout the country.

What are the great conservative cities? Wasilla?

Addicts need help not help getting high. This is just enabling junkies. Making it easier for people to get high helps no one. The war on drugs has been futile because of the way we have been handling it. Help the addicts and absolutely crush and dealers traffickers and cartels. But there's no political will in this country of ours to do that. [censored] we have the former Soviet Union fighting Isis for us right now. God bless America and God save us from our politicians
34.gif

Mods... can you please just sticky this thread as a reminder of why political posts don't work around here.

I can't wait until this gets all set up at the local park. It will be so awesome being able to shoot-up heroin with a doctor available.

It will be a great place to take the kids and grandparents when they visit.

Lovely.

http://mynorthwest.com/992/2853682/Rantz-Seattle-wants-to-essentially-legalize-heroin

Lots of underlying political potential. A bit of a troll-bait topic. Lets see where it goes...

The public got the politicians they voted for.

Third reply and we have the first mention of politics. No specific political party reference... but we all know what you mean.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
We should feel honored that these smart people with their genius ideas are here to take care of us and show us how we should behave and live. Just imagine what life would be like if we had to go back to following every law on the books instead of letting politicians pick the ones they like.

A few replies later, more talk of politics. Again, no specific political party reference... but we still know what you mean. The usual posters in these threads are still playing coy and aiming for plausible deniability about making political posts.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Liberals love to pass laws.....more laws and more laws. They also all want a "safe space" where they are subject to no judgement or criticism.

fragile little things....they are...as for the heroin thing...maybe they need to ask Charlie Sheen for an expert opinion.

There it is! The first real political post. Finger pointing and name calling. No going back now...

...as well as their cost for the bleeding hearts that feel the need to feed and shelter them.

Some more name calling. Why not? The big leap has been made. Pile on in!

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

Now this is a whopper! We have a huge generalization and a whole bunch of bluster. We've moved from Seattle to the whole country.

Maybe Seattle will be the next Chicago.... ?

More piling on.

Now, when this thread gets close, and of course it will, who will be the first to bring it up and talk about how we're all adults and how come we can't have civilized dialog?

I don't see anything civilized or constructive here. I see a bunch of excrement being thrown in the same direction. No two-way discussion. No adult conversation. Just a bunch of verbal diarrhea. This is how EVERY SINGLE POLITICAL THREAD ENDS UP and it always involves a couple of the people I've quoted.

So mods, please feel free to use this as an example of why we can't have nice things.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
Quote:

"Deliberately provocative"? It's a decision about to take place in a city near my home.

You know...I have no idea nor do I really care what terms you use to try to say that somehow my desire to have a decent city to take my family to is somehow "ludicrous". People that work and pay taxes deserve to visit a city and choose ANY park they desire WITHOUT having to witness scum shoot-up. This type of misdirected "help" can occur in private clinics or facilities away from parks. What do you think parks are for...addicts? Are parks designed and paid for so criminals can break of our laws? That in itself is highly "ludicrous" and without any regard for decent people to enjoy a city.
Amsterdam? What a success story that is.

not sure if you are seriously riled up or suffering reading comprehension failure or just trolling. But basically you threw out the "Think of the children" argument. which is pretty weak tea, and rightly ridiculed if that is the gist of your argument.

You're just pulling it out of thin air that they're setting up drug safe spaces right in your backyard and parks, when the whole point of the program is the complete opposite to set these areas up away in order to cover up and sweep the problem under the rug and get it away and out of your parks. So if you want to "think of the children" you should be for this and not against.

That's why i called you out as doing a hot take.

I posted a legit piece about what the city leadership is thinking of doing. That's not trolling. And yes...it upsets me. It should upset others...as it evidently does if you read through the posts.
I didn't throw out a "think of the children" garbage...I too can't stand when people do that. My point was simple...when I was a child I had the pleasure of being taken to Seattle by my parents. I enjoyed it greatly and found the noises and sights to be fascinating. I moved that memory forward to today....and I just found the idea of taking a child downtown now as not the best idea. Homeless bums everywhere...urine/feces on the sidewalks....violence....and now, apparently...drug addicts being allowed (assisted) to shoot up!
You can label me whatever you want.

Last edited:
^^^ I don't blame you because Portland is the same way turning into an eye sore anywhere near the homeless tent cities that are popping up everywhere.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
^^^ I don't blame you because Portland is the same way turning into an eye sore anywhere near the homeless tent cities that are popping up everywhere.

Thanks Nate...yep, Portland is basically the same. I also used to enjoy visiting that city. Now I would probably just skip it and go down to see Eugene or Salem.

Originally Posted By: stchman
As ludicrous as this sounds on the surface, has their been any law passed that has STOPPED people from doing drugs?

Isn't having a heroine bar no different than having a bar that serves alcohol? A lot of these bars that serve alcohol are in neighborhoods. People stop in the local pub for a few drinks, get drunk, drive home, and have an accident, maybe kill someone, get a DUI, no biggie. Right? How family friendly is that?

Well of course you are right. How stupid of me to think that socially, legally, and morally heroin addicts are exactly the same as a fella having a beer at a bar!

I don't know what got into me.

You do know that alcohol related deaths in this country are greater than ALL illegal drugs combined?

Also the illegal drug deaths do not include traffic fatalities from drunk drivers.

So remind me again how moral it is to drink and how immoral it is to do drugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back