Seattle...a family city?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing is surprising any more. I am old enough that I can escape the vast majority of this stuff. I am in a state that allows me to protect myself. Most of my angst is reading about this s^*&%

The current war on drugs isn't working, I don't see an issue with trying something different.

Keeps them all together. Who knows crime might go down. I think Amsterdam does something similar.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
The current war on drugs isn't working, I don't see an issue with trying something different.

This is the current war on drugs.

The ones who wanted less strict drug laws got their wish. Lets see how they like an approved and sponsored shooting gallery next to their local kindergarten.

We should feel honored that these smart people with their genius ideas are here to take care of us and show us how we should behave and live. Just imagine what life would be like if we had to go back to following every law on the books instead of letting politicians pick the ones they like.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Keeps them all together. Who knows crime might go down. I think Amsterdam does something similar.
Originally Posted By: andrewg
I can't wait until this gets all set up at the local park. It will be so awesome being able to shoot-up heroin with a doctor available.

It will be a great place to take the kids and grandparents when they visit.

Lovely.

http://mynorthwest.com/992/2853682/Rantz-Seattle-wants-to-essentially-legalize-heroin

While there maybe valid reasons to reject this idea; your hot take that it's set up in a local park that you would visit with your children and grandparents is pretty ludicrous.

The whole point of the thing is that they are able to set it up away from your family and sweep the problem away from your backyard, to satisfy the NIMBY crowd so you don't see the problem. So you're arguing the wrong point.

Rejecting the proposal increases your chances that your family runs into a druggie hiding in your playground, as they're hiding from the police soemwhere where they think they won't be spotted.

As far as Amsterdam, it's more like Hamsterdam from season 3 of the Wire, and you can search the googles for discussions on would this really work in real life and internet folks debating the finest details of it.

https://www.quora.com/Could-Hamsterdam-work-in-real-life

BTW: I'm using the term hot take per the wikipedia definiton
A hot take is a journalism term derisively used to describe a "piece of deliberately provocative commentary that is based almost entirely on shallow moralizing" in response to a news story,[1] "usually written on tight deadlines with little research or reporting, and even less thought".[2]

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raytseng
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I can't wait until this gets all set up at the local park. It will be so awesome being able to shoot-up heroin with a doctor available.

Lovely.

http://mynorthwest.com/992/2853682/Rantz-Seattle-wants-to-essentially-legalize-heroin

While there maybe valid reasons to reject this idea; your hot take that it's set up in a local park that you would visit with your children and grandparents is pretty ludicrous.

The whole point of the thing is that they are able to set it up away from your family and sweep the problem away from your backyard, to satisfy the NIMBY crowd so you don't see the problem. So you're arguing the wrong point.

Rejecting the proposal increases your chances that your family runs into a druggie hiding in your playground, as they're hiding from the police soemwhere where they think they won't be spotted.

As far as Amsterdam, it's more like Hamsterdam from season 3 of the Wire, and you can search the googles for discussions on would this really work in real life and internet folks debating the finest details of it.

https://www.quora.com/Could-Hamsterdam-work-in-real-life

BTW: I'm using the term hot take per the wikipedia definiton
A hot take is a journalism term derisively used to describe a "piece of deliberately provocative commentary that is based almost entirely on shallow moralizing" in response to a news story,[1] "usually written on tight deadlines with little research or reporting, and even less thought".[2]

"Deliberately provocative"? It's a decision about to take place in a city near my home.

You know...I have no idea nor do I really care what terms you use to try to say that somehow my desire to have a decent city to take my family to is somehow "ludicrous". People that work and pay taxes deserve to visit a city and choose ANY park they desire WITHOUT having to witness scum shoot-up. This type of misdirected "help" can occur in private clinics or facilities away from parks. What do you think parks are for...addicts? Are parks designed and paid for so criminals can break of our laws? That in itself is highly "ludicrous" and without any regard for decent people to enjoy a city.
Amsterdam? What a success story that is.

As ludicrous as this sounds on the surface, has their been any law passed that has STOPPED people from doing drugs?

Isn't having a heroine bar no different than having a bar that serves alcohol? A lot of these bars that serve alcohol are in neighborhoods. People stop in the local pub for a few drinks, get drunk, drive home, and have an accident, maybe kill someone, get a DUI, no biggie. Right? How family friendly is that?

Originally Posted By: stchman
As ludicrous as this sounds on the surface, has their been any law passed that has STOPPED people from doing drugs?

Isn't having a heroine bar no different than having a bar that serves alcohol? A lot of these bars that serve alcohol are in neighborhoods. People stop in the local pub for a few drinks, get drunk, drive home, and have an accident, maybe kill someone, get a DUI, no biggie. Right? How family friendly is that?

Well of course you are right. How stupid of me to think that socially, legally, and morally heroin addicts are exactly the same as a fella having a beer at a bar!

I don't know what got into me.

I visited Seattle while on my 1993 long road-trip. Loved the scenery, very different from my locale. I picked up this very odd, weird vibe though from some of the places and people. Trying to navigate was also frustrating: Some streets just end in a staircase, and the street continues on, but 100' up! Of course, the road map doesn't show that.

I was glad to have left. Unfortunately, that same weird, odd vibe has now infested Austin. They so much want to be the Seattle-of-the-South....proudly proclaiming themselves as "weird".

Go figure....

The current approach is an absolute failure and this problem only gets worst. A small experiment may provide some useful information in what works and what does not.

We have roots into the following town(Gloucester MA) and the approach they are taking seems to be working with Heroin.

http://www.wcvb.com/health/gloucester-po...atment/34715948

The reality of addiction is there are many folks who do not do criminal acts besides the purchase/consumption of these drugs or effect society. They are brandished in low ways and it does not help the situations.

Technically, so is alcohol. It just takes a lot more to kill you.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Drugs are poison.

Lovely.

Yet the mayor of Seattle wanted to ban guns from the parks, even if you were a legal concealed carry guy.

Liberals love to pass laws.....more laws and more laws. They also all want a "safe space" where they are subject to no judgement or criticism.

fragile little things....they are...as for the heroin thing...maybe they need to ask Charlie Sheen for an expert opinion.

Originally Posted By: stchman

I don't think so. I mean, most people start taking drugs when they're teens and not about to listen to nobody. If anything, being illegal makes it more enticing.

Some laws do deter activities, but I'm not sure what laws stop drug activity, period. Some people stay sober enough to drive, or manage through the workday--but not so much in the evening hours.

What's probably been more effective is employers who have prohibitions. Random drug screening or not, I bet there is a number of people who keep it clean on fear of failing that test, or out of respect for their employer, or something between. [But of course others still manage to fail, so you could argue the requirement is not 100% effective, but yet still more than 0%.]

That's a crazy story but not so crazy when you visit some of these cities in the PNW. Portland has a horrible homeless tent city problem and is a true eye sore on the city. It is getting worse even in the last year or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back