Sears

Status
Not open for further replies.
MarketWatch reports today that Sears just reported another quarterly loss, the ninth in a row. Sounds bad for Sears and Kmart. What a shame!!!

I thought they were finally going to bring in professional
management that had a track record of reviving ailing retail stores? The problem with Sears is the ownership. They don't know anything about successfully running retail operations.

K Mart should have been shut down years ago....it was too far gone...Sears OTOH had a fighting chance five years ago...the ownership has done NOTHING to improve the situation!

Last edited:
Dump K-Mart and focus on Sears. I haven't stepped foot into a K-Mart in years, while I regularly purchase items, some of them fairly spendy, from Sears.

I worked at Sears 3 summers ago, Kmart owns Sears not other way around, and Sears would have been split up or shut down if Kmart didn't take over trying to increase in size to compete with Wally & target.
The place was a joke everything was so old, cash registers from early 90's, products on shelves for years,

Both are too far gone.
It's too bad; I grew up in Sears, Kmart, and JCPenney's.

Target and Wal-Mart have taken over for Kmart.
Sears, Kmart, and unrelated, Arby's, will all be gone in 2 years in my opinion.

Sears' biggest asset is, or was, its mall real estate. But malls are in decline what with Amazon etc.

I bought an impact drill online, they shipped it to my house for free. The website said there were none available for store pickup when in fact there were a bunch... as I discovered later when I exchanged my defective driver for a good one. This simple exchange, BTW, required me to go into their private office to use a "good" computer as the sales clerk terminal kept crashing.

Another time I went to buy a TV. The showroom was open but they could not sell me a TV because the warehouse 2 blocks away was closing early to "save money". Like spreading operations across two plots of land makes any sense.

They need someone who ran amazon, walmart, or UPS to fix their issues.

Might sound strange but usually Kmart has better prices than Wally on toys around Xmas, I spend couple hundred every year there.
There model of business is no longer going to work, they need to somehow combine both stores/brands/locations/products to compete with other big box stores, it's impossible.

They need to hire Thornton and Gooch as Co-CEOs....oh wait,they are helping run Market Basket into the ground now.Might be free in a couple weeks though.

The problem with Kmart is run down stores, seriously run down stores. I still shop there. They just renovated their bathrooms!!
cool.gif
However the rest of the store is still in the 80's!!!

The problem with Sears "was" mall space, but the stores were modern. Also there is brand confusion, you got Sears proper, you got the "essentials" and there is the "hometown", and "outlet"whatever.

Sears needed a stand alone store. Something isn't right, when I see Kohl's building new stores left and right!

Last edited:
I stopped going to Sears a long time ago. Every time I went in there to buy something, they would have "ethnic" music blaring in the store that was obnoxious.

Cookeville tn, One Sears, one Kmart, 2 Walmarts ,all have been here a long time. Hey, there are only about 30,000 of us.....add another 8 to 9000 when the college is in session,,,we be small here.

Kmart is living proof that you can't shrink a retailer to success.
We used to have two Kmarts located on our normal weekend shopping and errands run and another not too far off our beaten path.
All three have been closed, so we no longer shop Kmart at all.
I don't even know where the nearest Kmart is located.
We still have a Sears near us, as well as a Sears Hardware location.
The main Sears store still had Syntec 5W-50 API SJ marked at normal price and they had a lot of it, although I haven't been in there in a year or so.
These people either need to do some serious clearance sales and open some new locations or simply hang it up.

A while back I redeemed some credit card points for $200 in Sears gift cards and forgot about them.

As I became more aware of just how bad Sears financials were becoming I decided to make an effort to spend the money before it was too late.

On my journey I discovered their loyalty rewards and clearance items that were virtually free after rewards.

My final tally is about $600 worth of things for that $200. But I'm not going to continue despite all the ways to literally profit from their system.

I can buy Chinese-made tools at Home Depot. I don't need to go to Sears to buy Craftsman, which are now made in China.

Sears is irrelevant, as are Safeway grocery stores.

Last edited:
Thing is, I can find nicer clothes for the same price on the other side of a mall from Sears at JCP.
Kmarts haven't been updated.
How did target survive the Walmart Expansions? They focused on being "Everything Walmart is NOT"

That's okay though, I rarely step in Walmart with HEB Plus everywhere. If theres not one, Ill go into target and pay a little more

Kohls and JCP for clothes over Sears
Tractor Supply, Rural King, Local Hardware stores etc for tools over Sears

Granted Harbor Freight isn't the best of the best in tools, but they do have a decent warranty program.

Used to love Sears about 30 years ago. Times changed and Sears failed to adapt properly. When I go into one now, I can just feel the "downer" atmosphere of the place. Reminds me of what a morgue would be like. Last time I went into one was to buy a battery. I avoided the rest of the store.
Kmart? They are so far gone it's surprising that any are still open.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Used to love Sears about 30 years ago. Times changed and Sears failed to adapt properly. When I go into one now, I can just feel the "downer" atmosphere of the place. Reminds me of what a morgue would be like. Last time I went into one was to buy a battery. I avoided the rest of the store.
Kmart? They are so far gone it's surprising that any are still open.

Agreed. I can't remember the last time I was in a Sears store (at least 10+ years ago) and the last time I was in a Kmart was maybe 20-25 years ago. If both faded into history very few would notice.

Imo,the problem with Sears is they are so EXPENSIVE!! Only thing I buy at Sears are Die Hard batteries and made in USA Craftsman tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back