Sears suing Lampert for looting them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 4WD
Yeah ... called EOG Resources ...

Lay and Skilling looted a sinking ship. But the torpedo's had already hit. Enron's problems, much like Sears, were deeply rooted long before these bandits came along. While they certainly proved to be no asset, they were far from the cause that killed them off.

I know the story - we have all kinds of extra controls processes in the business world thanks to them ...
Only they still had real assets as I just indicated ...

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
...3. There is far too much retail and restaurants in general for the population and income levels, government backed loans have encouraged uneccesary building of hotels and retail space that no one needs or uses leading to inevitable decay and foreclosure....

^^^^^^^^^^^^ This is the biggest reason. Not one or 2 individuals at the top. Too many stores. Just in my area I have at least 4 Home Depot's and 3 Lowe's stores all within 15 minutes of my house. Much the same with K-Mart / Wal-Mart. And now most every Wal-Mart you see has been transformed into a, "Supercenter". There are 5 huge outdoor sports superstores, (3 Sportsman's Warehouses, a Cabela's, and a Bass Pro Shop). All within 25 minutes of each other.

Every time I go into the closest Sportsman's Warehouse by me, the place is empty. Every time. Weekday or weekend, it doesn't matter. The only time I ever see anyone at the gun counter writing up a sale, is when I buy one. It doesn't matter how much merchandise you put, "On Sale", when there are few if any sales. They have millions in inventory, and the place costs a fortune to cool 6 months out of the year. That store will close. It's only a matter of time. As nice as it is, and as much as I enjoy shopping there, that store never should have been built in the first place.

Many of these big box retailers have simply over built. That, combined with at home Internet shopping provided by Amazon, Wayfair, and many others, are slowly bleeding them to death. Add to that personal spendable income is constantly being reduced. By the ever increasing cost of major necessities such as health care and college. And it's become a doomsday scenario for many of these type of large, overbuilt retailers.

It wasn't that long ago we were awash with electronic superstores. 2 of the biggest, (Comp USA and Circuit City), are long gone. And the 2 Best Buy's near me are always in the same condition as Sportsman's Warehouse when I go in....... Empty. Same with Office Depot and Office Max. Both of which recently merged to stop the financial bleeding they were both experiencing. Sears is going to have a lot of company in the upcoming next few years.

Amazon is the best to shop.... unless its clearance synthetic oil for 49 cents a quart at a local retail store.

I agree with others about staying home, save time and zero hassles waiting to park / check out at register, dealing with rude customers / shoppers and then drive home when everything can be done with Amazon.

Amazon credit card + Free Shipping makes it a no brainer to shop at Amazon.

Amazon has been raising prices and cutting back on its two day delivery promise to Prime members.

As I have mentioned many times here and elsewhere, when a store has more employees than customers, it is dead.

I don't buy anything from Amazon and I buy lots of things ... My problem is not what I buy ... it's what he bought ...

There is an extremely high bar from finding a "colorable" claim against Lambert. There is a 2,000 page review of what went on at Lehman brothers that concluded that the business decisions were all based on informed management judgment, and that there wasn't a colorable cause of action against management. Eddie looks like a piker compared to what went on at Lehman brothers.

Here is a reason, (one of many), as to why big box specialty stores are dying. My little dog was having skeletal and joint pain issues in the colder weather. The vet recommended we try one of the Cosequin joint therapy dog treats. I went to Pet Smart and found Cosequin Mini's for small dogs. I reluctantly purchased a small bag for $27.00. That seemed very high, and I wasn't sure he would like them. Or even if he did, if they would benefit him. But I decided to take a chance, and purchased them anyway.

As it turned out he absolutely loved them, and responded to them well. (All of his joint pain and problems disappeared). So I looked on Chewy.com. I found the exact same thing for just $12.50 @ bag. (Same size). Less than 1/2 of what Pet Smart was charging. I promptly ordered 4 bags. They arrived the very next day right at my door. $12.50 with no tax and a very modest shipping charge, vs. $27.00+ tax, for the exact same thing. And I had to drive 8 miles round trip to get it.

This is very typical with many other products as well. Shopping on line is very convenient, and usually MUCH cheaper. Pet Smart and Petco are yet 2 more large scale, specialty retailers that I see very few people in when I go. Lot's of inventory in a huge building, that isn't selling to the degree it must in order to survive. The walls are closing in on these places. It's only a matter of time.

Originally Posted by billt460
Here is a reason, (one of many), as to why big box specialty stores are dying

The vet recommended we try one of the Cosequin joint therapy dog treats. I went to Pet Smart and found Cosequin Mini's for small dogs. I reluctantly purchased a small bag for $27

I've found the opposite on most products

The 2nd chance "Organic and Specialty" store which is 2 miles from my home is small but has a lot of odds and ends Cosequin is $6.50 a bag there, never knew what it was for though.

I get a lot of $30 bags of designer dog food there for $5 or less, Vitamins are priced the same way, as are the $6 big jugs of delo oil there.

It seems between Woodmans a big box and small local retailers that don't even take credit cards I can get most anything for less than amazon, there are a lot of things I would have never known about that I tried because I went through a physical store and they were on the rack.

Add based systems like Amazon direct you to what they want and you loose out on small batch products like Weyewega Keifer, $2 a pound organic elk
and Badger spicy pork rinds three products I would have never purchased except I noticed them on the shelf and liked the price and ingredients

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back