Sealed lead acid batteries? Any brands better than others?

Last June, I replaced the 12 volt SLA batteries in a family member's mobility scooter. Despite periodic charging as recommended by the manufacturer of the scooter, the batteries have already failed.

The batteries that I bought were PowerSonic brand, PS12120. They had a code on them that would suggest that they were manufactured in December, 2018. I put them in service in June of 2019. As of now, they are both at 6 volts, dead. I was expecting to find one had failed, but not both. And of course, a one year warranty.

The original batteries lasted 4 years and were still good when I removed them, but they were getting weak.

Are there any brands that are better than others? Or is it literally a crapshoot with this type of battery?

Just so everyone knows, these are unlike car batteries.

19DC2E6B-A9B6-4E62-99E5-AABD916D754B.png

Here's another place to look. https://www.batterymart.com/c-sealed-lead-acid-batteries.html?page=2 . If you have the space to add another battery in parallel, you could double the amp output while retaining the 12 output . That would give you a longer run time. That would work best if you use 2 batteries that are the new, and the same brand and size. If one battery is older then the other, it will be weaker then a new battery. And the power output of the lesser charged battery limits the level of charge in the pack.,,

The price of lead is at an all time high, so beware of cheap offerings!
Apparently, PowerSonic is a 'cheap offering'. 100% failure rate within 2 years of manufacture.... when the manufacturer claims a "5 year service life".

It looks like the PowerSonic 12120 is a 12Ah battery / I'm not referring to volts.
If you could get the same dimension battery with a higher Ah, it would last longer.
Example: 18Ah would last 50% longer than 12Ah before needing a charge.

But you also want a good quality battery that can be charged over and over.

Last edited:
It looks like the PowerSonic 12120 is a 12Ah battery / I'm not referring to volts.
If you could get the same dimension battery with a higher Ah, it would last longer.
Example: 18Ah would last 50% longer than 12Ah before needing a charge.

But you also want a good quality battery that can be charged over and over.

Time out.

I'm not looking for batteries with a larger/longer capacity. The scooter would go several miles on its current set up, which was more than sufficient.

I'm looking for a brand of battery that doesn't FAIL to take a charge within 18 months.

Last edited:
Time out.

I'm not looking for batteries with a larger/longer capacity. The scooter would go several miles on its current set up, which was more than sufficient.

I'm looking for a brand of battery that doesn't FAIL to take a charge within 18 months.
Batteries don't last when they're run all the way down. How often do you charge it?

Scooters apparently do not have the best chargers for SLAs. My Aunt would go through a set of batteries every 9 - 12 months in her scooter and she followed the manufacturer's instructions on charging to the "T".

I have had great luck with SLA batteries from Chrome Battery. https://www.chromebattery.com/ Batteries are warranted for 12 months, but if you register them online, then you get an additional 6 months added to the warranty. Also, shipping is darn reasonable - it's free and fast!

Look into Yuasa. Lead acid batteries have longest life if they are charged after every use. Don't let them sit in a partial state of charge.

Yuasa Battery, Inc. has been manufacturing powersports batteries in the US since 1979. We are the leading manufacturer and distributor of batteries for motorcycles, ATVs (all-terrain vehicles), UTV’s (side-by-side), snowmobiles, personal watercraft, and scooters.

Over several decades, Yuasa has been recognized as the top premier powersports battery brand in the US and globally. We have been the leading supplier of OEM powersport manufacturers delivering reliability and peace of mind under any circumstances.

Yuasa’s parent company, GS Yuasa located in Japan, celebrates its 100th anniversary. GS Yuasa has the 2nd largest share of the global lead-acid battery market, manufacturing batteries for automotive, motive-power, and powersport markets.

PowerSonic is a decent brand. I've had good experience with them. Perhaps B&B is a little better.
But they must be fresh and sold while they have a near full charge.
Seems these you bought were 6 months old. Was voltage checked when new? Hopefully over 12.5V

Were they connected in series for 24V? If so they needed to be charged individually to balance, before connecting together.
Otherwise in service one will be chronically overcharged and the other undercharged.
It's also helpful to check individual voltages occasionally (say twice a year) and re-balance if needed.

As others mentioned, part of the issue may be how deeply they are being discharged, that you used general purpose rather than deep cycle batteries, and whether the charger is overcharging.

One long term option would be converting it to LiFEPO4 batteries, a BMS to cut power at low voltage, and the appropriate charger. Clearly this is the most expensive up front cost but over the long run, should pay for itself in # of recharge cycles and avoid the hassle of replacing batteries every year or two.

So many of these Asian made AGM batteries, even if the case is of a different color, weigh exactly the same.

With no proof, I offer that they are all the same internally and only marketed differently, perhaps put in a different color case with different color cap.

These AGM batteries almostuniversally say, in cyclic use, meaning deep cycle use, to bring the voltage upto 14.5 to 14.9v with upto a 30% charge rate.

So a 12AH AGM should be fed upto 4 amps intiially, and then once 14.5 to 14.9v is achieved, hold that voltage until amperage tapers either to 0.06 amps, or until it stops tapering and amperage begins to rise when held at constant voltage in the mid to high 14's.

MOst chargers for such batteries are just a constant voltage charger, usually 13.8v, and can only make a fraction of this 30% charge rate.

Despite what will be has been repeated ad naseum about batteries, AGMS are tickled to a premature demise when they are deeply cycled, and never fed larger charge rates.

Partial state of charge cycling, means that the battery begins its next deep discharge cycle before it was fully recharged.

EVERY lead acid battery is damaged by this PSOC cycling. The more PSOC cycles accumulated, the longer it will then take to truly fully charge the battery, and the more important it becomes to actually approach that 30% 'maximum' charge rate listed on the side of the battery. not only does this higher initial amperage become more important as the battery ages and is subjected to abuse, but the achieving of an actual true full charge becomes more important. The last 20% of charge always takes no less than 3.5 hours, but the more PSOC cycles the longer this last 20% takes to achieve, at voltages in the mid 14's and the final 10% likely never ever will occur if not brought and held in the mid 14s on a more aged battery.

So one battery might have lived a longer life than another simply as it was plugged in to charge earlier after a discharge and left charging for longer, even on an inadequate charger. The battery brand might have absolutely nothing to do with its lifespan, and the habits of who plugs in to recharge it are fully responsible.

This is always overlooked on battery threads on Bitog, and the longevity is somehow only dependent on the marketing and sticker and manufacturer, rather than how the battery was treated.

Most people have Zero Idea about state of charge/ state of health, and a battery is likely 'still going strong', the day before it ' fails to hold a charge'.

The chargers which come with most of these devices do not even come close to the 30% that AGMS like to receive when well depleted, nor do they achieve and hold mid 14 volts for the duration required to indeed truly fully charge them. They are usually just single voltage 13.8v chargers ( for a 12v battery) with 2 or 3 amps max available available to achieve that 13.8v. This is ONLY adequate for shallow cycles when the battery is still relatively new. It is a death sentence for an AGM drained to 30% state of charge or less. each cycle.

I have lots of experience cycling 18 and 22Ah Asian made UB/UPG AGMS. They can easily accept much higher amperage than their label states is the maximum, and are better off for it. The danger is overheating them. I will allow them to feed on as much amperage as they want for about 5 minutes, then back off and double their recommended rate . The 22Ah battery drained to 11.2v put on a 100 amp adjustable voltage power supply peaks at 64 amps, tapers to 52 amps in less than a minute and 5 minutes later is still accepting over 35 amps. It says 6.6 samps max on its side. At this point I usually back off the voltage until only 12 to 13 amps flow, which is about double the recommended rate, and then bump up voltage in stages to keep this rate, until 14.7 v is reached at battery terminals. Battery usually heats by 10F during this. about 4 more hours held at 14.5 to 14.7v is required for amps to stop tapering. If amps start rising again at constant voltage, I remove them from charger.

This hands on approach is obviously not possible or desirable for everyone. I bring it up as an example, that the batteries can and will accept much higher charging rates than their 'recommended' maximums. I exceed those maximums by a factor of 5 or more. No mushroom clouds and the batteries still perform well in voltage retention department and deliver much of their original rated capacity.

They would not if I had a single voltage 2 amp wall wart. Now will some AGMS behave better than others when fed unideal charging voltages and initial amperage rates.?...Likely so, but when they are plugged in, and how long they are plugged in, and at what level they are discharged to, still play a much bigger part in their lifespans, than one brand over another.

But in the Bitog way regarding batteries, its all about brand fanboism, and bragging rights and 'still going strong' till the day it dies, with No data or facts involved.

If there was as much mis/poor/flat out wrong information regarding lubrication on Bitog, as there is regarding Lead acid battery charging, then believe little to nothing you read.

If you want scooter batteries to live longer, how you treat them regarding depth of discharge and how quickly they are plugged in to recharge, and for how long, will have 3x more effect than who printed their label on the side of the battery.
Those seeking maximum longevity would know the voltages the charger is bring the batteries to and with how much amperage initially, and if it is more than a single voltage charger, how long it holds the higher voltage.

No Data? then present no facts/opinions. Without any reports as to how one battery was treated versus another, then reports of battery longevity good or bad are nearly entirely meaningless.

These PS12120's are VRLA and not AGM so they will vent easier if they are charged at too high a rate. Many manufacturers of VRLA recommend 10% of AH capacity so a 12 AH would need 1.2 amp charger, a 1.5 would not hurt. Being 6 mos old when you bought them is not good unless they sent the acid in a separate container and you fill them at home before putting the seal on, but you have to charge them by the instructions that come with the battery after the fill. It seems some batteries are great Standby batteries and some are better high cycle deep discharge. Try and find real AGM deep cycles.

The local “batteries +” here is a gem. I’d never been, expecting them to be pricey. Turns out, everything they carry is desk/east penn, and their prices were competitive, even compared to Amazon. They got my business for an agm deep cycle with a 3 year warranty. 3 years on a deep cycle? Done. And for deka, absolutely. local service, yes. They carried all the sizes. I was thrilled, and the customer service was superb. I’m not an easy battery shopper. Another disease. Wrcsixeight I suspect has it too. :).

Back