Sealant for Oil Pan RTV or Anerobic

I just saw a tech tip video from permatex and they claim the "synthetic" permatex is to be used in applications with synthetic oils.

Is this more marketing?
Marketing, but RTV compatibility with certain friction modifiers is a real issue. This is why OEMs generally use different RTV’s for Trans and Differential fluids.

It looks like you are stuck with RTV, I would use the permetex ultra black, it seems to be one of the most oil resistant RTV. Anaerobic seals are great but very demanding to apply properly so it doesnt leak. The biggest issue with it is once cured it can be very difficult to remove the part again when used on such a large part.
That reminded me of this vid where these guys go to pry the timing cover off a Ford 3.5. They crack it in half, although I will say to their credit they didn't edit out their mistake.

I don't fault anyone for making mistakes unless you're making vids and putting yourself forth as an expert when you clearly didn't know Ford provided jackscrew locations to get the cover off.

It's about 1:11:30 if anyone cares

I just saw a tech tip video from permatex and they claim the "synthetic" permatex is to be used in applications with synthetic oils.

Is this more marketing?
I think so - else the OEs would call for different silicones for oil applications. Toyota calls for ThreeBond 1281 for ATF/gear oil, Mopar has their own ATF-RTV.

Just like there’s an issue between silicones and 2-EHA and other organic acids, esters and olefins, found in motor could attack silicone but the OEs most likely validated their sealants. ThreeBond and Henkel are the predominant suppliers to the OEs, and I have a feeling Loctite/Henkel is still supplying ITW Permatex.

Permatex also does the same marketing stunt with their Water Pump & Thermostat RTV, which is really Ultra Grey in a different tube. They do mention Optimum Gray is formulated for “modern” post-Dex-Cool coolants, and seeing how Toyota’s pink coolant can attack RTV, I’m holding my breath. I’m using Right Stuff 90 Minute Grey with Prestone Cor-Guard - a pHOAT using 2-EHA and sebacate.

What's your thoughts on their "Right stuff" in black or grey?

I have yet to use the Right Stuff line, Ultra Grey works well for me on just about any Aluminum Structure Sealing application or just a Packing for gasket joints.

I'm used to the way in lays down using my tube roller & exactly where to cut the applicator.

Marketing, but RTV compatibility with certain friction modifiers is a real issue. This is why OEMs generally use different RTV’s for Trans and Differential fluids.
I know different post but somewhat related, this engine has a thick layer of varnish, It was fleet vehicle that followed the OLM and dealer only oil changes (dexos I assume), The owner was asking how to clean all that varnish up? I was going to suggest HPL Ec , will the RTV hold up against HPL EC?

That is one of my concerns with HPL cleaner or any other ester product especially in spit case engines that use RTV between the cases. I used to use a Dirko case sealer or Loctite 518 or 574 Engine Case Sealer on VW air cooled engines, it was impervious to esters.

That is one of my concerns with HPL cleaner or any other ester product especially in spit case engines that use RTV between the cases. I used to use a Dirko case sealer or Loctite 518 or 574 Engine Case Sealer on VW air cooled engines, it was impervious to esters.
I was watching @The Critic reseal a VW 2.0 T(F)SI in an Audi A3 and he was using a Loctite RTV per the latest TSB.

I do recall using Loctite 518 for a Subaru oil pump, out of concern RTV could block oil passages.

The loctite 518 is one of the best things to use on a suby oil pump not RTV. The VW engines I was talking about were split case engines. There are quite a few engines with split cases, all that I know of are boxers/flat engines inc suby engines.
I saw one six cyl split case that that the owner ran an ester based oil in and had leaks all over the place the engine had to come out for a reseal, that is what scared me from using it in those type of engines. Things may have changed over the years so I don't know if that is applicable today.

I have yet to use the Right Stuff line, Ultra Grey works well for me on just about any Aluminum Structure Sealing application or just a Packing for gasket joints.

I'm used to the way in lays down using my tube roller & exactly where to cut the applicator.
I have used the right stuff on the differential cover on my 2015 Ford F150 and there is no leaking for 4 years using M1 75W-140 [what ever it means]

Motorcraft TA-31 is the best stuff I've come across. Used for sealing up the 7.3 powerstroke oil pan and other items.

Got the project completed using the permatex UltraBlack as I already had some. Been two weeks, so far so good, no leaks!

The hardest thing was squeezing it out of the tube to a 3mm bead, the stuff is quite thick to push through such a small opening. A caulk gun type application would be better rather than squeezing the tube.

Back