Sealant for fuel bung?

My dad was recently given an earthquake brand garden tiller from a friend, who hadn't used it in 10 years.
PXL_20201002_215257804.jpg

I had to replace the kill switch, and the fuel lines crumbled when I tried to move them.
I replaced the fuel lines and filter today, but the new line is a little smaller in diameter than the old.. the feed and return line go through a rubber bung in the side of the tank.

What is the proper sealant to use on the outside of that bung, around the lines so there aren't any leaks?

I've had great luck using the Loctite Ultra Copper RTV on carburetors where I couldn't find/didn't feel like waiting for a gasket set as well as sealing up cracks in plastic fuel tanks. It's not "intended" for use around fuel, but it seems to work.

Heard good things about the Seal All too.

Permatex makes a fuel resistant RTV as well. I've never seen in a parts store locally though.

He's trying to seal the fuel lines where they come through the rubber grommet into the fuel tank as they are slightly too narrow.
Ah, a rubber grommet. Now, that makes more sense.
Some use the word bung as a thread o let. In the pipe fitting world that's what we call them, a thread o let.
Bung, sounds so nasty. 🙃

It's a rubber plug in the side of the tank, with 2 holes in it, that the supply and return lines ( on either side of the primer bulb) pass through.

The new fuel lines are of a slightly smaller OD than the ones that crumbled when I touched them.

The proper answer to the question of which sealant resists fuel: The correct form of 2 part, polysulfide sealant. It's a fuel proof synthetic rubber sealant designed for immersion in liquid fuels. Unfortunately, it's rather expensive.

Sealants like Permashield and Hylomar are also fuel resistant, but remain tacky and are really designed to seal gaskets. Not to fill a gap. Silicone will work for a time, but will eventually deteriorate in gasoline. JB weld is completely fuel resistant and will stick to rubber.

Can you get the right sized fuel line and corresponding grommet/bung from Jack’s Small Engines or ebay? Earthquake tillers are probably Mantis Tiller knockoffs and Mantis parts might fit.

wow.. this thread has gone off the rails....
even if i had the exact right OE fuel line, I would still be asking about a sealant around the lines, b/c where the plug is in the tank, if full, it will be "underwater" so to speak on the inside.
i'm just looking for something to smear around the lines on the outside, to prevent fuel seepage/ leaks through the plug/around the fuel line.

I'm not going to order more parts, not going to replace what I've already done to please a bunch of people on the internet. what's there works, i just want to seal up any POSSIBLE leaks.
OKAY?

sheesh...

just for the record, this is the fuel line i bought:

I just used seal all for the first time to add a vent to a gas can, giving up on the epa nozzles after 2 just fell apart and made big messes. So far, Im impressed with seal all.

Back