SeaFoam Vanilla-flavored vs SeaFoam cherry (aka TranTune)?

I need to run some SeaFoam in an AT for a sticking solenoid. I have a lot of vanilla SeaFoam around; should I bother making a special trip for the TransTune variant? They seem identical apart from the color additive (red in the TransTune). I'm not leaving it in long-term, just as a cleaner and then swapping all the fluid. My inclination is to not bother with the TT.

Years ago, when I worked at NAPA, a rep told us that the Trans Tune contained the same active ingredients, but was a little more concentrated.

Lucas may or may not be a snake oil; I’ve never used it. SeaFoam does what it says (heck how can it not, being such a strong solvent) and works on this issue - have used it before for the same problem on a Honda w/great results.

Years ago, when I worked at NAPA, a rep told us that the Trans Tune contained the same active ingredients, but was a little more concentrated

That sounds plausible, and it would be a bonus in this application. Or I could just throw a little B-12 in the mix (stronger than SeaFoam.

I was always told they were the same, the TT just had red dye to keep from scaring people from putting it in their transmissions. I have saved a couple that are still running today adding a can of SF and running it a few hundred miles before a pan drop.

I feel you are probably right.

I worked on this last Monday and got a surprise. The transmission pan was almost empty - literally ounces came out. I put in a can of TransTune (shop had both so why not), topped it up. They’ve been driving it a week now so I’ll flush it out and get a clean fill in there and some LubeGard red. I thought there was going to be a stuck solenoid and maybe damage, but none. Weird.

I surely wouldn't. What if something in the regular stuff degraded a band, converter material or something.

There’s not weird compound in a transmission not in an engine or other component. I’ve used both in the past and honestly it just doesn’t seem like they are different products. In the past, SeaFoam said it was wholly safe to use it in the transmission, anyway.

Regardless, did all this last week and car is now running just as it should. Did a 2nd drain/fill to get some of the solvent and loosened varnish, etc. out. Added again about net 1qt of ATF. So this transmission was operating a-ok right up to the moment it got about 5qts low. Wow. No debris in anything, metal or clutch material. Nothing in filter or pan. Aisin builds some impressive transmissions.

Best I can tell, Seafoam has changed their product and "forgot" to tell anyone. I don't know how long ago this happened.

The Safety Data Sheets have been updated, ingredients that used to be listed aren't listed any more.

Back