SeaFoam time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I filled my car up with 90 octane Husky gas (E10, they don't use lower grade gas for blending so regular is 90, mid is 92 and premium is 94) tonight and noticed that it ran much smoother, pulled much harder and revved quite a bit more easily than it does on 87. Normally it feels quite labored in the 1800-3500 rpm range when under high load either accelerating or climbing hills, but over 3500 rpm the fuel and timing map change so it runs a fair bit richer (almost feels like VTEC kicking in).

I was the only car on the road for two miles in any direction, and got on the gas leaving an intersection and rather than being labored it spooled up right away and put the power down. It definitely was not what I was used to from this car.

Must be time to run something through the chambers to clean it up.

It is a 9.5 to 1 compression engine running in cool climate and really not loaded except when accelerating or climbing grades that reccomends 85/87 unleaded in the manual.

In my experience seafoaming is fun for the smoke storm but I've never noticed any difference in performance response, etc.

Maybe I just need to seafoam a car that really needs it.

But to be fair, my one friend has a 1990 Toyota Cressida -- Insane amounts of smoke for miles... He said his car feels better now.

I know this will get boo's from the crowd... but

I had a older VW, this thing would barely run when I bought it for $250. I went and bought 3 bottles of sea foam. I ran the tank almost empty, went to the gas station and dumped one can in the tank and put five gallons of premium in it. Took it home and dumped one in the crankcase. Then I sucked one through a vacuum line, let it set for a few hours then let the smoke show start. Then after the gas was gone I changed the oil. I know this isn't the 'recommended' dosage but it did run 75% better and with reasonable power. So I think it can help if the vehicle is in bad shape. I wouldn't do that to something that still ran reasonably well.

Originally Posted By: JMK

I had a older VW, this thing would barely run when I bought it for $250.

With a $250 car I would do the same, why not?

Sounds like your knock sensor was being activated. They pull a lot of timing.

Time to use Seafoam?
It's NEVER Seafoam time, IMO.

Try a strong Chevron Techron in the tank. - Let it do it's job as the tank runs low.

But maybe you should stick with the higher octane. You power and probably gas mileage gains are worth it.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Time to use Seafoam?
It's NEVER Seafoam time, IMO.

I agree. There was once a time when I thought SeaFoam was the greatest thing ever. I mean, just LOOK at all that SMOKE, it HAS to be doing something, right?! No.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back