SeaDoo Rotax 4 Stroke 1503 Oil Choice 5W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2012 SeaDoo PWC with the 155 HP 4 stroke Rotax 4-TEC (1494 CC 3 cylinder SOHC 4 valve per cylinder) Engine and am looking for the best oil to use.
Factory fill is SeaDoo Branded semi synthetic XPS 5W-40 at around $10 US per quart. Since the 155 HP is normally aspirated you can use factory synthetic oil at around $13 US per Quart. The manual directs if you use non-factory oil it must have the API classification of SM, SL, or SJ and SAE viscosity of 5W-40 or 10W-40. My thought is for less money I can use a synthetic diesel oil that meets the SM requirement and is likely better oil for engine operation. Maintenance interval is 25 hours 6 months for first change and 100 hours 12 monthes after first change.

I would like to use one of the following two diesel oils that have the API SM Rating.
Mobil 1 Synthetic Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 or
Rotella T6 Synthetic 5W-40

Looking for input. Any thoughts on the best oil to use.

Thanks

I had a supercharged seafood for many years until I bought a new Kawasaki last year. Rotella T6 is a great oil for you sea doo, and highly recommended my the seafood community. I used it exclusively in my sc model without issues.

Thanks all for confirming the two oils would be a good choice. I am leaning toward T6 Rotella as it is a little less expensive and I use it for my tractor now.

Thanks again

Slick

Originally Posted By: scurvy
I would pick whichever one was cheapest or easiest to get. Both TDT & T6 are excellent oils.

I'd do the same.

You should change out the factory fill between 10-15 hours.

I've got an '07 Kawi Ultra 250X Jet Ski with the supercharged 1500 cc 4 banger--quite the beast. This ski, like many forced inducted engines, get fuel in the oil so I just change out every 20 or so hours. I let my last one go to 29 hours and I had 7.3% oil dilution!
I just am starting to use any cheap 20W 50 oil as it breaks down to a 10-20 weight with the fuel dilution.
Depending how you ride I wouldn't go much more than 30-40 hours on the oil--definitely nowhere near 100 hours. If you don't have an oil extractor they are relatively cheap and a good investment. Do an UOA after you put one of these oils in to see how things are doing. I put about 50 hours per season so I change it 2-3 times per season.

Last edited:
Change the Sea-Doo oil often. The sump holds 5 quarts but you'll only extract 3. A little trick is to hold the throttle wide open while you hold the starter for several seconds, that'll get you another .5 quart or so. I know it doesn't make much sense, but it's mentioned in the service manual when your doing a 'de sink' procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back