SDS Plus to 1/2" Drive Adapter

Has anyone used a hammer drill in rotary only mode with impact sockets? I have a Dewalt 8 amp 1" SDS Plus rotary hammer with 3 settings, rotary only, hammer only, rotary and hammer modes. It's similar to this one https://www.cpooutlets.com/factory-...LvXhsjUYL-mEyqsLDVqTKYfMP062uyPBoC2aMQAvD_BwE

I haven't found a spec for how much torque it is designed to produce. Maximum recommended drill size in steel is 1/2 inch. I think 200 ft-lbs of continuous rotary breakaway torque would readily lead to hand and wrist injury. Perhaps 80 ft-lbs is the maximum torque may safely apply to loosen a fastener?

Ivy Classic Industries offers an chrome vanadium steel adapter that's made in the USA.

Last edited:
My rotary hammer that size will will twist you in a knot when it catches on something (rebar), I wouldn't want to use it on something stationary on purpose. I'd bet the adapter is made with installing anchors in mind.

JRed

Site Donor 2021
The impacts on a rotary hammer would be hammering into the face of the fastener and against the threads. Might be useful for driving hex-headed lag bolts or anchors into masonry/cement/concrete but can't see much use for it otherwise.

Has anyone used a hammer drill in rotary only mode with impact sockets? I have a Dewalt 8 amp 1" SDS Plus rotary hammer with 3 settings, rotary only, hammer only, rotary and hammer modes. It's similar to this one https://www.cpooutlets.com/factory-...LvXhsjUYL-mEyqsLDVqTKYfMP062uyPBoC2aMQAvD_BwE

I haven't found a spec for how much torque it is designed to produce. Maximum recommended drill size in steel is 1/2 inch. I think 200 ft-lbs of continuous rotary breakaway torque would readily lead to hand and wrist injury. Perhaps 80 ft-lbs is the maximum torque may safely apply to loosen a fastener?

Ivy Classic Industries offers an chrome vanadium steel adapter that's made in the USA.

Much less than 80 ft-lbs to be safe, you don't have much leverage. 8" of handle means 120 pounds of force if the drill seizes. With 2 handles it'd be 60 pounds each. had a cordless drill whip me once, hurt my wrist for days and that thing had about 30Nm rating, think that's about 20 ft-lbs if my head math still works at this time of night.