screwdriver sets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at the Pro sets at Sears today and I did not buy. they looked terrible for the price. May be just the looks, I admit. But for the premium, I prefer Wiha, Wera, Felo. Metallurgy on the Pro Craftsmen screwdrivers I looked at today simply looks like a QA reject. The handles are fine.

Maybe the black at the end is kryptonite. Wonder where the Chinese get that from? Nothing stronger according to the salesman at the HF store whose name was Clark K.

I work on bikes a lot more than cars, so I use hex wrenches and screw drivers more than anything else. My vote would be for the Wiha 12 piece set: http://www.amazon.com/Wiha-30297-12-Piece-Phillips-Screwdriver/dp/B000T9SI60/ref=pd_sbs_hi_5

They're made in Germany, if that matters to you. It's the only phillips screw driver I've used that won't strip out a couple of particularly hard-to-turn bolts (like seized rear derailleur bolts). I'm a big fan of these.

Because of the recommendation by musicmanbass for the HF professional screwdrivers, so many people have bought them that they are now out of stock online and no where to be found at my local HF store.

The power of BITOG!!

Haha! Yea, I'm livin' big-time off my endorsement royalties!! I even got a dessert with my dinner tonight!!
grin.gif

But seriously, I'm sorry you haven't been able to locate a set of these screwdrivers, and I hope they are back in stock soon. (Mostly because since we've started talking about them, I want to get another set for my backup toolbox!!)

I've got several brands of screwdrivers and the ones that I always grab first are the Kleins.
They're not real fancy, but they're highly functional. I like the round rubber grip that allows
me to spin the handle real fast. The screws come flying out when I use my Klein screwdrivers.
55.gif

Was looking at the Klein Journeyman series. Question, what are these (not the phillips), sub type of slotted?

Includes two cabinet-tip, three Phillips-tip, and two keystone-tip screwdrivers.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Was looking at the Klein Journeyman series. Question, what are these (not the phillips), sub type of slotted?

Includes two cabinet-tip, three Phillips-tip, and two keystone-tip screwdrivers.

It's the shape of the tip
The cabinet shape is for smaller blades up to 1/4" and the keystone shape starts at 1/4" wide blades and larger
Keystone:
602-6_ICON.JPG

Cabinet:
605-6_ICON.JPG

Originally Posted By: Chris142
x2. I've replaced my Snap-On and Matco screwdrivers with this set. I hate to say it but these are built better and stronger than the Made in USA ones I had.

I call B S on this. Having owned screwdrivers of pretty much every brand, I can say the quality German/American/Japanese drivers are better than cheap Chinese drivers.

Now, if you want something cheap that works pretty well and you don't care if you lose, then the HF drivers could be just what you need. But they're not better than the professional brand drivers.

Also, I'm a member of a tool forum, and the Klein screwdrivers are not liked by many people there. They claim the tips are softer on the new drivers and don't last as long as they used to.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

Also, I'm a member of a tool forum, and the Klein screwdrivers are not liked by many people there. They claim the tips are softer on the new drivers and don't last as long as they used to.

I've heard them say that too. I'm wondering whether if those same
people are using the correct size screwdriver for the fastener ...

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Merk, maybe if you would spend a tiny amount of time on one of those tool forums, you would have already known this.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Ha!
smile.gif

I should say, I'm a member of two tool forums that I frequent. I won't name them here, but Merk is still a member of one of them.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

Merk, maybe if you would spend a tiny amount of time on one of those tool forums, you would have already known this.
crackmeup2.gif

48.gif

Originally Posted By: JOD
I work on bikes a lot more than cars, so I use hex wrenches and screw drivers more than anything else. My vote would be for the Wiha 12 piece set: http://www.amazon.com/Wiha-30297-12-Piece-Phillips-Screwdriver/dp/B000T9SI60/ref=pd_sbs_hi_5

They're made in Germany, if that matters to you. It's the only phillips screw driver I've used that won't strip out a couple of particularly hard-to-turn bolts (like seized rear derailleur bolts). I'm a big fan of these.

Thanks for the tip, I bought the set, was a couple $ cheaper than now. Great set, I wanted the handles as much as the steel. Worth the money, in fact that is cheap. I like the fact they are made in Germany, no problem with fairly traded, honest goods. I checked the warranty lifetime including wear I believe. No more screwdrivers needed for the appx 20 years I got left.

I should say, I'm a member of two tool forums that I frequent. I won't name them here, but Merk is still a member of one of them.

And is still banned on the other one.. which is a mark of distinction
smile.gif

A long time ago I got tired of rounding out my Philips screwdrivers and 25 years ago I got turned on to the screwdrivers with replaceable bits. The tips virtually never wear out. This is now my main Philips screwdriver and I never looked back. I have a couple sets with hundreds of bits. And I always have the proper sized Philips head for the job, not to mention all the other tips.

I should say, I'm a member of two tool forums that I frequent. I won't name them here

Please name them. I enjoy reading about tools when written by those that use them and aren't trying to sell them.

John
W.TN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back