screwdriver sets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have lost enough screwdrivers (they must be hiding with the single socks) that its getting close to time to buy a new set. What do people think of the $14.99 set at HF? Sams Club has a Channel-Lock set. I still have a few of my Dad's with wooden handles. Hope I never loose those.

I would spend the few extra bucks and buy a Craftsman lifetime warranty set. (Make sure they are the made in USA ones). They regularly go on sale around this time of year. I still have mine from the 80's. I returned one that my son bent using it to pry. They exchanged it no questions asked.

I'm not wild about Horrible Fright in general, nor do I generally like chinese tools, but a couple of years ago the local store advertised this set at $3.99. Even got to use a 20% off coupon. Couldn't resist at the price. I don't use them for anything approaching severe duty, but they have exceeded any expectation I had of them with no problem whatsoever.

http://www.harborfreight.com/13-piece-cushion-grip-screwdriver-set-1847.html

I'm pretty sure they were at the time advertised as warranted for life, but at less than 4 bucks who is going to bother with a return.

I absolutely LOVE this set from HF! http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/screwdrivers/8-piece-professional-screwdriver-set-94607.html

While it's a basic set with no specialty screwdrivers, they are built incredibly well, have nice weighting, and the grip is fantastically comfortable with no slipping in my hands. Except for a couple specialty sizes, this set has replaced everything in my "go-to" screwdriver drawers in the top of my tool chest. Now all the Stanley, Craftsman, and Kobalt screwdrivers live in the leftovers drawer at the bottom of my secondary chest! :)

Originally Posted By: Maximus1966
I'm not wild about Horrible Fright in general, nor do I generally like chinese tools, but a couple of years ago the local store advertised this set at $3.99. Even got to use a 20% off coupon. Couldn't resist at the price. I don't use them for anything approaching severe duty, but they have exceeded any expectation I had of them with no problem whatsoever.

http://www.harborfreight.com/13-piece-cushion-grip-screwdriver-set-1847.html

I'm pretty sure they were at the time advertised as warranted for life, but at less than 4 bucks who is going to bother with a return.

I have this one and it is NOT good. Mind you, I have lots of HF stuff and rarely I bad mouth them. But this is not good. One screw driver, the handle is already loose from the shank. I paid peanuts for it and it will be useful given the plethora of items in that set but this is strictly to be used as 3rd or 4th set. This just can not be your main set.

Originally Posted By: musicmanbass
I absolutely LOVE this set from HF! http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/screwdrivers/8-piece-professional-screwdriver-set-94607.html

While it's a basic set with no specialty screwdrivers, they are built incredibly well, have nice weighting, and the grip is fantastically comfortable with no slipping in my hands. Except for a couple specialty sizes, this set has replaced everything in my "go-to" screwdriver drawers in the top of my tool chest. Now all the Stanley, Craftsman, and Kobalt screwdrivers live in the leftovers drawer at the bottom of my secondary chest! :)

This one I would recommend. I only have one from this set and it is good quality. I bought it as a single when they were available under a dollar. Next time I am in the store, I will pick up the entire set if I could get a good deal on it. They seem to be almost as good as older Craftsman USA made screw drivers.

Sears has a decent set for like $25 that has just about everything you need. I got one for my brother and liked it so much I bought a set, then my dad saw and bought himself one too. :p

Lifetime warranty, hard to beat that.

I like the Craftsman Screw Driver sets, and their policy for swapping bad tools is second to none. IMO they're better than the HF tools, but you also pay more. I've used the Craftsman screw drivers for chisels, pry bars, you name it, and when they finally do fail I swap them out no questions every asked!

I do use HF screw drivers for work, if a guy forgets one on a job, I don't worry about it.

Read the warranty, some say wear from use not covered. Craftsman, Armstrong say lifetime satisfaction, no ifs. Excluding torque wrenches. Some others may have a real lifetime warranty as well. I don't shop at HF because I want sears to get my business, and stay in business.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Read the warranty, some say wear from use not covered. Craftsman, Armstrong say lifetime satisfaction, no ifs. Excluding torque wrenches. Some others may have a real lifetime warranty as well. I don't shop at HF because I want sears to get my business, and stay in business.

I am unsure about Sears long term. I worked there for a Christmas season and they would inventory 1 of each of the nice LCD TVs and if that sold, the customer would need to order it and wait. Or go to Best Buy at the other end of the mall and walk home with it. I think the local store managers had no clue. This was back when BluRay was super expensive still. So expensive that this store had no demo model. Sears does a lot of things right, but screws up an equal number also.

Originally Posted By: Vikas

This one I would recommend. I only have one from this set and it is good quality. I bought it as a single when they were available under a dollar. Next time I am in the store, I will pick up the entire set if I could get a good deal on it. They seem to be almost as good as older Craftsman USA made screw drivers.

That 8 piece HF set is on sale for $8 right now. Add the 20% off coupon, that's less than $1 a tool.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ajchien
Originally Posted By: Vikas

That 8 piece HF set is on sale for $8 right now. Add the 20% off coupon, that's less than $1 a tool.

At $8 its not a bad deal. Our local HF store won't allow the 20% off coupon on sale items though. I've tried more than once.

I will just reaffirm that I love these screwdrivers. I used the largest straight bladed screwdriver yesterday to swap the screen panel out for the glass panel on our storm door. It was just a great feeling tool to use.

That set has it's own space in my toolchest, and I enjoy wiping them down after use and putting them back in their place... just give a nice sense of satisfaction. Wow... I'm a nerd!!

A decent 20-25 piece set of the Craftsman Professional ones costs over $100. Maybe I should try the HF ones that I already bought. I wish HF would make a normal and professional grade of some tools. Like screwdrivers.

.....I used the largest straight bladed screwdriver yesterday.....

Thank you....THANK YOU for not calling it a "flathead screwdriver".

Now back on topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back