Screw went half way through tread, no leak, wire belt damaged. What would you do? (Pics)

If it was my car, I would drill a hole and plug it at best. I would probably leave it alone however. I doubt plugging it will throw the balance off. I wouldn't go through the trouble of the proper patch plug.

I have plugged several tires over the years without issue. I even plugged a sidewall for my sister-in-law and haven't been sued yet. It's still holding air months later. This is a 215/45/18 Hankook.

View attachment 121640
I did a plug in about that same spot (maybe a little further in) on one my tires a couple years ago. Most on here would insist I'm committing suicide, but it's still holding air and the plug hasn't moved a bit. With decent 19" tires at $230 a piece, I'm gonna take my chances. I don't like mixing tires or tread depths, or spending $1000 on a new set when there's 50%+ life remaining. I don't like plugging in that area either, but pick your poison. I closely monitored it for the first couple months, now I give it a look at every tire rotation. Nothing bad has happened in 20K or so.

I've also used the cheap plugs (like you have pictured) anytime I get a repairable flat at least a half dozen times or more (instead of the "proper" plug and patch), and none of them have ever given me any trouble.

To the OP: I definitely wouldn't leave it alone, that would leave the belts open to corrosion and stuff getting into the innards of the tire. I would try the product you mentioned (rubber tire cement or some such product) and monitor it closely for the first couple months / few thousand miles. If all is well, inspect it at least every tire rotation. If you're not comfortable with that, drill it through and do a proper plug/patch for piece of mind, but personally I wouldn't want to damage tire (drill through it) more than it already is.

Switch to your winter tires now. This will give you 4 months or so to decide what to do with the punctured tire and its 3 siblings.

OK, what we have here is a broken screw that has damaged the belt in one of the outermost ribs.

First, the belt edges are the most highly stressed area in a radial tire - which is why tire manufacturers do not approve of repairing a tire in this area.

Covering up the damage doesn't change the fact that there is a damaged belt. So officially, this tire is not repairable.

But I realize that many folks are willing to take the risk and repair it. In that case, I recommend that the hole be drilled out so the hole has a clean edge - followed by a patch/plug.

Tire shop will say replace due to broken steel belt.

I have broken steel belts then used tire plugs with no issue

Either seal it or have it plugged but DON'T do nothing. The steel cords are completely encapsulated in rubber so they aren't rustproofed. Once they are exposed to the air, rust will start. A tire shop should have the proper sealant which is not a cement.

To the OP: I definitely wouldn't leave it alone, that would leave the belts open to corrosion and stuff getting into the innards of the tire. I would try the product you mentioned (rubber tire cement or some such product) and monitor it closely for the first couple months / few thousand miles. If all is well, inspect it at least every tire rotation. If you're not comfortable with that, drill it through and do a proper plug/patch for piece of mind, but personally I wouldn't want to damage tire (drill through it) more than it already is.
I'd dab some windshield urethane into the hole and send it.
So officially, this tire is not repairable.

Brought the tire to Costco in trunk of my CR-V and the tire tech said what everyone else confirmed here, too far out to patch without the change of a patch / plug failing so they declined the repair.

I have about 2 weeks of warm (50's) weather before we get into colder temps and I'll put on my winter wheels (Blizzaks).

In the mean time I'll dab some windshield urethane in the hole and change out the tire next spring. No need to buy one now and let it sit all winter.

I don't think there is much risk of catastrophic failure to the tire over the next 200 miles or so well put on it over the next 2 weeks especially since we aren't doing much highway driving. Tire is on the rear axle of the Pilot and is holding air 100%.

Thank you to everyone for your advice! 🍻

go to a used tire shop ask them to plug it with one of these
Also you can always get one used in same condition/model at their place or of eBay

Attachments

• 146227C5-C1ED-468B-B2F6-BD8181255DAB.jpg
    146227C5-C1ED-468B-B2F6-BD8181255DAB.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 18
Brought the tire to Costco in trunk of my CR-V and the tire tech said what everyone else confirmed here, too far out to patch without the change of a patch / plug failing so they declined the repair.
Well of course, they rather sell you a new tire. After taking it off, list on Craigslist and FB. If I was searching for that size and model, I'd pay $50 with that much tread on it.

Back