Scratched Transmission Pan Flange

Bought one of those Dorman painted drain pans for a 6R80. I was so disappointed when I pulled it out and saw two scratches on the flange in the paint that cross the gasket. Looks like an = sign. You can catch your fingernail, may be a bit deeper than paint, maybe just the paint, hard to tell.

Wondering if I should send back. Not thrilled about using RTV, but I am also wondering how much the gasket could seal..
I need the truck so I will probably install the stock one.

Use Permatex Spray a Gasket on the pan flange and pans side of the gasket. Either Red or Copper will work and seal forever, yet come off easily at your next change.

Just take a piece of 400 wet and dry and lightly sand the scratches so the is no sharp edge on them, if there is non forget it.
I would use the Lube Locker gasket before RTV. RTV is total PITA if you want to remove the pan later.

I'd hit the scratches with some light sand paper, then I'd use the Black RTV that is made for oil pan gaskets. Put a dab in the local area that is scratched and then put the gasket on. You should be good to go!

FWIW I have put on several Chrysler transmission pans with black RTV because most of them don't use gaskets...

just my $0.02

Back