Scratch repair questions

Took my 2022 explorer ST threw a automatic touchless carwash today as a test before purchasing a membership. Its black paint but appears to be blue due to sky reflection.

The "laser" guided sprayer came down and hit the wing/spoiler that extends from the rear window. Truck is 6 months old with 2300 miles....

What would be the easiest/cheapest way to repair this? I have no exp with body work or detailing.

nuUn8v6.jpg

Yeah I tried to call the # but they where closed already. The app did have a forced waver about damage so I assume I will be told to kick rocks.

The damage is on the top of the "spoiler" and kinda hard to see unless looking for it but that's not the point. Depending on the answer I get I might talk to some detailers and see if they can do anything before springing for a respray.

Here is the location of the damage.

(not my image)

0AW5318.png

Not that the carwash shouldn't pay for the damage, but there is no way i would let a body shop guy take my car apart and paint on it for those scratches in that area.

Agree polishing/detailing will diminish it bit not remove it.

Not that the carwash shouldn't pay for the damage, but there is no way i would let a body shop guy take my car apart and paint on it for those scratches in that area.

Agree polishing/detailing will diminish it bit not remove it.
Why would he have to take the car apart?

Bag the whole car, sand the scratches down, paint the spoiler.

Since the spoiler is detachable, you can remove it and take it to a body shop for a spot repair or full clear coat. Should be an easy 1 day job. Get an estimate for the damages so when you present the numbers to the car wash they will know what they are getting into. Refinishing that part will probably be $2-300. If you don't repair it, the worst that will happen is the clear coat will peel in a few years but it won't rust.

Why would he have to take the car apart?

Bag the whole car, sand the scratches down, paint the spoiler.

Because they will never get to gap clean and there will be a paint line there even if it doesn't peel, which it probably will. I would take it off to paint it, how involved that is on that particular vehicle i don't know.

Since the spoiler is detachable, you can remove it and take it to a body shop for a spot repair or full clear coat. Should be an easy 1 day job. Get an estimate for the damages so when you present the numbers to the car wash they will know what they are getting into. Refinishing that part will probably be $2-300. If you don't repair it, the worst that will happen is the clear coat will peel in a few years but it won't rust.

^^^^^^^^^

THIS!

And we’re assuming you will lean hard toward hand washing that ride in the future………..?

Back