Scrapple

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since everyone seems to want to talk about strange foods, how many here like scrapple? I'm curious if this is even available outside of Pennsylvania.

My dad's family is Snyder County, PA Amish descended and every year they used to get together yearly for pig butcherings and apple butter cooks, so scrapple and 'pudding' were breakfast staples when I was little.

Of the brands available in the supermarket here our family likes Hatfield the best. Even in the farmers' markets, it seems to be difficult finding a brand that works well for everyone.

I like it sliced thin (1/8-1/4") and fried crispy. My son will only eat it with homemade applebutter spread on it, thanks to my father. Even my wife, who grew up in California where stuff like scrapple and Lebanon Bologna don't exist, likes it.

regional foods can be interesting to say the least. A friend of ours who grew up in PA used to make scrapple all the time when we lived in San Antonio. It was like some exotic foreign food, the adults fawned all over themselves, we kids hated it (like all kids with anything strange or new, right?). Now as an adult it sounds pretty good...

Want something South Texas-unique and not related to TexMex?

Find some Big Red (soft drink). it is NOT red cream soda, accept no substitutes!

Pour it over a tall glass packed with 3-4 scoops of your favorite homemade-style vanilla ice cream (Blue Bell is preferred but hard to find up north).

Then pinch yourself to remind you that you are't in heaven just yet, it just tastes like it.

btw, the sugar and caffiene buzz should wear off in 2-3 days.

Pablo,
just did a search, and they appear similar, with a mjor exception.

Head cheese uses the natural gelling of the "juices", while scrapple is thickened with corn meal.

Neither sound overly appealing, when the recipes all start "remove eyes, and saw head into 4 pieces.

Yeah - I agree Shannow - I didn't say they are good....I think on the west coast you can by Oscar Meyer head cheese (or used to be able to) - but no scrapple - head cheese is sliced as cold lunch meat. I'm thinking scrapple is not edible cold
smile.gif

I always assumed that scrapple was made out of slaughter house floor sweepings. It was always a little too gross for me.

I suspect there is no Kosher version of scrapple
grin.gif

Lebanon balogna is good stuff. It took me a while to realize that it came from Lebanon PA, and was not a form of food popular in the middle east country of Lebanon.
pat.gif

I have been buying scrapple from an amish market near here they even have turkey scrapple. I like it fried crisp along with a couple fried eggs smash it all up together and a slice of toast.
cheers.gif

quote:

kreigle:

Since everyone seems to want to talk about strange foods, how many here like scrapple? I'm curious if this is even available outside of Pennsylvania. ....

My family originated in Philadelphia, so we ate it.

However, in the midwest you couldn't find it, so we made it at home.

In the area centered around Cincinnati they make the same product using steel cut oats (pin oats) instead of corn meal. It's called goetta (pronounced "get ta"). Once in awhile I'd run into it on a menu being called "scrapple", but it sure is not. An outfit called "Glier's" seems to make most of it.

I then ran into creton in Quebec.

Often made with wheat and/or bread crumbs, it's along the same lines.

In the Maryland area scrapple is fairly common, but I have been unable to find a canned brand we ate as kids that was made near Philadelphia: Teetor's or something along those lines.

Wally Word down here sells Reeses brand, and they carry Lebannon Bologna too. Must be because of all us Yankees in the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back