Scrapheap Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
JYW was good. I could look past how contrived it was to have a running engine, transmission, and ECU conveniently planted for each team, and smaller stuff too, like clean weldable straight metal pieces.

I think Junk Yard Wars was the Americanised version (I've never seen it) Scrapheap Challenge is the original English show with Robert Llewellyn (Kryton in Red Dwarf).I was totally blown away when it first came out (2000?) and taped every show....best TV show ever.I'm very much a scrapheap person....I love it when I need to do some modifiction to a car or bike...and I pick up something and reckon it should do the trick.

Semi-correct. 'Junkyard Wars' was the North American name of Scrapheap challenge. (why, who knows, given the nature of the show you could have called it 'discarded bits bodged together' and the same people would have watched it). Excellent show. Robert made a great host.

Junkyard wars later devolved into an Americanized version. Not very good IMNHO. Cathy was still host, along with someone else, but as with most N.A shows, drama was more important than the bodging. After that, another version came out, similar premise but it provided a better equipped yard, two American hosts. And finally there was Mega Challenge, or some such. People built their machines at home and where selected to compete in a timed obstacle course. If I remember right, Robert L. and Cathy where the hosts again.

Alex.

Originally Posted By: GMGuy
Semi-correct. 'Junkyard Wars' was the North American name of Scrapheap challenge. (why, who knows,

Some North American program executive parasite had to justify his existence.

Originally Posted By: XS650
Originally Posted By: GMGuy
Semi-correct. 'Junkyard Wars' was the North American name of Scrapheap challenge. (why, who knows,

Some North American program executive parasite had to justify his existence.
LOL.gif
So true!

32.gif
Does anyone remember Beyond 2000 which then became Beyond Tomorrow? Was a great technology show looking into the future and I think it was from Australia or the UK, can't remember but it was also great...

Originally Posted By: StevieC
32.gif
Does anyone remember Beyond 2000 which then became Beyond Tomorrow? Was a great technology show looking into the future and I think it was from Australia or the UK, can't remember but it was also great...

Someplace around here I have a book called something like "The Modern Internal Combustion Engine" published about 1905.

When I found that book in a used book store, I made note to self that said "Self, don't ever use "modern" in a book title."

I'd say the same would apply to "future".

I think that "Today Shock" would be a good title about events that have not yet occurred.

Beyond 2000/Tomorrow was Aussie and I learn't about some good stuff. The best was some English guys invention of a putty like substance that bacame instantly solid if hit with force then instantly went back to putty like. U.S Ski Team and Canadian use it in knee/elbow/shoulder areas on their ski suits. A 'beanie' was soft when needed but became a crash hat if say it hit the ground. Wife and I sat mesmerised by the orange putty. Wish I could remember what it was called.

That stuff has potential for super heros. You can punch evildoers with impunity ..and still be the soft and sensitive type.

I wonder how it endures in some body armor application ..I mean ballistic kind.
54.gif
I would imagine if it could handle that force, they would be promoting it.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
That stuff has potential for super heros. You can punch evildoers with impunity ..and still be the soft and sensitive type.

I wonder how it endures in some body armor application ..I mean ballistic kind.
54.gif
I would imagine if it could handle that force, they would be promoting it.

Am I the only person here that's ever played with silly putty before?
It acts just like this "new" marvelous compound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWYxc8xhihg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back