Scott Galloway on breaking up big tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting talk. Thanks for sharing.

Here is my own take on this: despite all the advertised benefits, a lot of the thechnology we have available to us now is actually making us dumber and thus easier to control/manipulate. That in itself may not be terrible as long as the few up top have good intentions. But, as the phrase goes... "Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely."

I think like anything that has perceived benefits, many people take it on as a replacement, and not a supplement to, living.

For some time my elderly parents, who I did not figure to be interested in tech, were almost obsessed with Facebook. And many people who I meet who are in their late teens or early 20s are just obsessed with snapchat, instagram, etc.

It's like if we went a week without electricity, some people would go literally insane.

That's not a good sign!

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
I think like anything that has perceived benefits, many people take it on as a replacement, and not a supplement to, living.

For some time my elderly parents, who I did not figure to be interested in tech, were almost obsessed with Facebook. And many people who I meet who are in their late teens or early 20s are just obsessed with snapchat, instagram, etc.

It's like if we went a week without electricity, some people would go literally insane.

That's not a good sign!

Indeed. My 13 year old is obsessed with Instagram. She says Facebook is "for old people".
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Interesting talk. Thanks for sharing.

Here is my own take on this: despite all the advertised benefits, a lot of the technology we have available to us now is actually making us dumber and thus easier to control/manipulate. That in itself may not be terrible as long as the few up top have good intentions. But, as the phrase goes... "Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely."

Agreed.

Ask middle school kids to add numbers in their head, and many cannot do it without a calculator.

My experience is that most companies try to obtain more services provided by others so they can increase prices and their share of the market. I'm sure Apple and Google don't want to take over more companies so they can lower their profits.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
A few years from now you'll look back to Scott's words and say he was correct.

No.... he is RIGHT

....right NOW

I'm sure big tech is already interviewing journalists and assassins to both murder his character and his life.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
I'm sure big tech is already interviewing journalists and assassins to both murder his character and his life.

short term public memory
and
Pane et circum

you do the math

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back