Scotchgard thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being in the auto detailing business, I know that most fabrics are treated with some sort of stain guard. Working for said MFG. of this product, I also know that it is a very good product. Try some on an inconspicuous area for compatability. You choose!

Like said above, most vehicles come with some sort of fabric protection. I don't like Scotchguard b/c it gets on other stuff besides the cloth since it's an aerosol.

Had an interesting "test" of ScotchGuard's abilities, back when I was riding to work. I had a pair of insulated denim coveralls that I had heavily SGed. They worked fine to prevent me from getting wet in drizzle and sporadic rain, but I would put a rain-suit over them if I expected heavy stuff. One time though, I got caught in a downpour. It was a very miserable 15 minutes as ice cold water soaked through to me while I scrambled home.
frown.gif

[ June 02, 2005, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: VaderSS ]

I have used Scotch Guard for well over 20 years. Ecellent long-term protection. I would not own a car with a cloth interior without it.

I like 303 Fabric Protector personally. It is a pump spray and is alittle more controllable. Any overspray is easily cleaned up with a damp cloth (before it dries of course). Applied it over a year ago in the kid hauler (minivan) and it seems to be holding up still. The lil monster spilled some soda on the rear mat and when I got home a few hours later, it was still beaded up awaiting the paper towel.

Scotch Gard has a very colorful history. In 2000, Dupont removed it from the market because of issues with the toxicity of it's components (PFOS). Google "scotchgard" for a real Erin Brockovich type of story. It's hard to decipher the truth.

Today's product is a completely different animal than what existed up thru 2000. I wonder if it is as good.

The 303 supposedly has the "old style" repellants, but the manufacturer claims it is safe to use.

Scotch Gard was originaly made by 3M Co. I haven't worked for 3M for over 8 yrs now. I didn't know that they sold off the product to DuPont. "Scotch" is a trade mark name to 3M, hence the name, Scotch Tape, Scotch Brite, Scotch Gard, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back