Scored Valvoline 10W30 Full Synthetic VR1 $2 qt!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went in the local Autozone yesterday and happened across some SL rated 10W30 Valvoline VR1 full syn yesterday, it was marked clearance price of $3.00/ quart and then the cashier rang it up and took an additional $1 off each qt as part of some Valvoline promotion!! I bought all 10 qts they had.

Is this stuff any good? I just did an OCI with it in my 01 F150 this morning, with the very high mileage I wanted to go with something thicker for the summer months than the 5w20 or 5w30 that I've been running as the ol 5.4 is getting noisy on the thin stuff. It seemed VERY quiet on startup and overall seems much quieter running than before with my previous OCI of MC 5w20.

Very good oil! You'll be good to go! I need to swing by my local AZ on the way home
smile.gif

Last edited:
Someone just gave me a case of this stuff, but as I read the bottle and specs, I had questions about using in the daily driver. I have 12 quarts in all, so there is no issue, even with the higher levels of zinc? This technical is beyond my areas of expertise.

racin4ds:

Run the "SL rated 10W-30 Valvoline VR1 full synthetic" in your 12-year old F150, since "the ol 5.4 is getting noisy on the thin stuff".

GregR:

This 10W-30 synthetic will do just fine in the North Carolina heat this summer - providing you have an older engine to put it in. Even if your vehicle calls for a 5W-20/30 oil, you can run a 10W-30 weight oil (if out of warranty).

As has been discussed before, its essentially Valvoline Synpower with extra zinc. Use it without worries. I used it in my 1997 Dodge Ram with no problems (that I'm aware of).

I got a similar deal once and ran it in my 97 F150 (4.6) with no ill effect.If you're concerned you could cut it with regular Syn Valvoline.

+1 on cutting it with synth valvoline. I don't imagine it would hurt to cut it with napa synth or even dino valvoline. I have a case of it and i plan to use it to replace one quart in an oil change to boost zinc a bit when used with a ton of napa synth that i have that should have a very similar add pack. Probably no harm in using it by itself either unless your vehicle consumes a ton of oil.

ZDDP levels are no higher than the average SL HDEO, about 1200 to 1300 ppm (compared to about 800 ppm in you typical SN PCMO).

OP can use it straight in his F150 without any concerns.

Last edited:
So far my truck loves it! Hauled several round bales today and truck really did feel "smoother" overall. FACT: that modular is much quieter on this stuff! It still runs like new and does not leak or burn a single drop of oil even with 206k miles now and believe me the wife works this truck hard with her old steel horse trailer and full size quarter horses in tow!!

Oh, and I could care less about the extra zddp damaging the cats cause there isn't any!

Originally Posted By: uart
ZDDP levels are no higher than the average SL HDEO, about 1200 to 1300 ppm (compared to about 800 ppm in you typical SN PCMO).

Don't you love the ZDDP panic? If it's anything from the 1980s or earlier, nothing less than a pure racing oil has enough ZDDP. If it might even be equipped with a cat, regardless of the oil speced at the time, people get in a panic and want to dilute the properly speced oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back