Scored a great deal on Amazon, but feel guilty about it

Getting ready to do my yearly oil changes in my 4runner and Corvette. No one around here seems to have M1 in stock. Turned to good ol Amazon to order some, quantity of three 5qt jugs of M1 5w30 high mileage extended protection and a M1-113a filter that no one had in stock either. Got the package last Monday and opened it today, noticed the bottom of the box was soaked with oil now, it wasn't when I got it on Monday. Only received two jugs instead of three. Ok whatever, things happen, go online and go thru the order issue process. Said I was missing one jug, and Amazon resubmitted the order for 3 jugs. Called customer service and explained I only needed one, and the agent said I could return the first two. I said the oil had leaked slightly thru the plastic bag the jug was in and the box bottom was soaked with oil from one of the jugs. Looks like the seal broke open during shipping and I maybe lost a few ounces at most. The agent apologized and said please keep the two jugs, and the other three will be there by the end of the week.

Why do feel guilty? Jeff has more money than many small countries and you are simply doing what THEY told you to do.

Do yourself a favor - try and remove the feeling of "guilt" from your life. It never makes anything better and usually just makes the person feeling it feel bad unnecessarily - this being the perfect case.

Why do feel guilty? Jeff has more money than many small countries and you are simply doing what THEY told you to do.

Do yourself a favor - try and remove the feeling of "guilt" from your life. It never makes anything better and usually just makes the person feeling it feel bad unnecessarily - this being the perfect case.
Very true, maybe guilt wasn't the correct word I was looking for. Thanks.

This is only some of jeffs stock he sold

Screenshot 2022-03-19 at 21-29-46 Insider Trading - Insider Transactions - Form 4.jpg

Because they don't want you to leave and they never make money from you again, and it is easier for you to keep it than to take the defective products back to be thrown away anyways.

I would guess that your guilt feeling is because you have integrity and good morals. Kudos to you. My experience is that Amazon is quite good at taking care of issues and what they did in your case is not uncommon.

Enjoy your oil. If the opportunity exists, share one of the containers with someone in need - pass it forward.

Amazon is one company I would never feel guilty about getting free stuff from. They're loaded with dough and if they screw up and deliver extra product it's a win for me and a drop in the ocean of cash for them. I'd feel different if it was some family owned hardware store.

Its comforting to see a stranger with a moral compass. Just me but the amount of $$ in Bevos bank account of the monetary value of stock he owns is not relevant. Way I see it is you placed an order and paid for it; there was an issue; the company determined this is the remedy and you, the customer have been made whole and then some. Nothing to feel negative about in any way.

I've never had a bad experience with Amazon's return policies, they always work out in my favor, I've had several orders I was told to keep and not return.

In a few weeks Jeff will get on his G700 and fly half way around the globe to pick up his new $575M super yacht.

208vette,
Nice score. 👍

We ordered an interactive puzzle for our 2 year old and got 6 of them in a bundle. I double checked the order, and it was for one.

The other 5 are getting donated.

I ordered 2 tubes of a hair dressing thats not made anymore but Amazon had some in stock.
They sent me 8 tubes,I did not feel guilty on the contrary I felt great.
Maybe it was "oh my someone ordered that! send all we have left"

I never feel bad when a huge company makes a mistake and I get the best of it, now a small Mom and Pop operation is a different story.

Don't feel guilty. They made a mistake. Your benefit won't kill their stock price. They are making billions. I bet the big wigs at Wallyworld as worrying that one day Walmart may become the next Sears.....

No need to feel guilty, as you did nothing wrong and were honest. This is Amazon's policy, not yours.
I've had similar events with Amazon and Walmart, where shipped oil leaked. I took pictures as proof that I'm not scamming anyone, and these companies either issued refunds or replaced the product. Yes, most of the oil was salvageable, but still; I had to clean up a mess of oil, transfer the remaining contents, etc. spent time contacting the company, etc. so I look at any "profit" as payment for my hassles.

As for the lectures on morality, get real. First, on a degree scale this does not even register. There are wars, human suffering, slavery, rape, outright theft, blasphemy, murders, assaults, environmental destruction, animal cruelty, and so forth. Secondly, it's not even a moral issue as this is their policy: e.g. when someone gives you something it's not wrong to take it, and here Amazon is giving it to him. Third, even if it was somehow considered "theft" (which it's not), it would be the equivalent of stealing 1/10000th of a penny from the average person. If someone took a pebble of sand from your yard, or breathed a few molecules of your air, or drank a drop of water from your swimming pool, would you find that morally unjustified? Probably not, and you would not even notice.

Bezos is among the richest humans on earth, to ever live. He has built a company that arguably harms Americans by destroying American jobs, and humans around the globe by causing sweat shops to thrive, and the environment thru the stress of moving shipping containers across the world to deliver products. Think of all the small American companies Amazon put out of business, all the dreams ruined, the small towns gutted, etc. by Bezos. Bezos probably earns more daily interest on his investments than you or I earn through labor in 1 or even 5-10 years of work. Think about that, and then the few dollars at issue here.

I bought some kcups. 2 x 24 pack. Only received one 24 pack. Chatted with Amazon to get my second 24 pack and they said they'd refund and keep the kcups. A month later the same thing happened. So now I received 48 kcups for free.

Ordered some stuff for my son and had it shipped to his place in Philadelphia. He found an empty open box with his name. Someone stole the stuff. Told Amazon and they refunded me.

Back