Scored A Good Stick Welder

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Lincoln IdealArc 250, in fine shape. Got lots of 2/0 gauge cable and also a very long 8/3 SOW power cord. I paid $600 for it.

New they go for about $5000, including taxes, in Canada.

Nice!!! Maybe next you can score a decent camera!
smile.gif
Just messing with you.

Where did you find it?

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Nice!!! Maybe next you can score a decent camera!
smile.gif
Just messing with you.

Where did you find it?

+1 that is what I was thinking if taking the time to post it maybe use something remotely in focus.

It is AC/ DC. There is no TIG capability now, in the future I might buy an add-on kit for TIG. I don't have a MIG welder yet.

8 ga is adequate in my setup now because the welder is right next to the power panel and I am not welding very thick metal. Also the cable is 8/3 and it only needs 8/2. The white is not being used at the moment. I could twin the white with either the red or the black to reduce voltage drop.

The bluriness of the photos was from the camera not being held very steady. I usually get much better photos but , for some reason, I just could not hold the camera well when I took the photos.

I found it on Kijiji, which is similar to Craigslist. I did have to go out of town to pick it up.

I would not suggest doing anything with the white wire. Normally a 250 amp welder needs 50 amp.

I have a Lincoln Invertec. It needs over 50 amp, like 60 or 70 and 4 gauge if your really going to drive it. Or repin it for 440 v.

Those are nice reliable machines. It's a nice score. Does it function? Those machines draw around 70 amps max on 230/240 volts, but I don't think you will be doing much welding in the upper range anyways... unless you have some big rods you want to run
grin.gif
. I like my little maxstar 150 because it's so portable, and I can also run 150 amps on a 30 amp circuit without a problem. That's the nice thing about the inverters... they aren't so power hungry. However I would trust the old transformers more for longevity
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Donald
I would not suggest doing anything with the white wire. Normally a 250 amp welder needs 50 amp.

I have a Lincoln Invertec. It needs over 50 amp, like 60 or 70 and 4 gauge if your really going to drive it. Or repin it for 440 v.

There are several things that factor in to sizing the wire. Biggest is the Imax, Ieff, and duty cycle. A stick welder is never going to hit 100% in most cases. It will surprise you what size wire you really need and what breaker you can use.

Yes, it seems to be 100% functional as far I can tell. AC, DC straight and DC inverse polarity all work well. When I get some spare time I will monitor the DC output on a scope to confirm all rectifiers work. I will also take the case off and blow out accumulated dust from the transformer and lubricate the current adjustment mechanism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back