SCORE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was at my Head Office in Toronto and they had a bunch of old computer equipment piled up in a corner. Being nosy, I asked the receptionist what it was there for.

She told me that with some of the restructuring going on in our office that they were getting new computers because "those ones are old".

I asked her what was happening with the old stuff and she said they were waiting for a recycler to pick 'em up.

I asked if I could browse through them and take some stuff and I was told to go ahead.

I had a look and I got the following which is all in working order!

1x Lenovo Desktop PC with 64 Bit AMD Athalon processor loaded with Windows XP Pro which I can recover to factory standards using the on-hard-disk image.

1x HP Desktop PC with P4 Processor with Windows XP Pro which I can recover to factory standards using the on-hard-disk image.

1x DELL Dimension PC with P4 Processor with Windows XP Pro which I can recover to factory standards using the on-hard-disk image. This one has a dual monitor output video card.
20.gif

3x Black 17" LCD Samsung monitors!!!!!

A couple keyboards and Optical mice

All the other stuff was the Pre-P4 era and looked tired and I was short on trunk space so I left it.

I brought them all home and fired them all up and everything works perfectly...

SCORE!
thumbsup2.gif

I'm going to load 'em up and give them to less fortunate people I know who have kids that will benefit from them.

The Lenovo one I'm keeping as I need a Desktop PC to experiment with Windows 7 on a bit more. The test bench PC I have now is getting a tad old/slow.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Just another reason why a man needs a truck!!
cheers3.gif

+1
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
Nice! Too bad she wasn't throwing out oil...but...not bad!
Can't have everything!
LOL.gif

I couldn't pass it up! The 90KM Drive home I though about what to do with them... Then those 2 families came up in my mind. The kids will surely enjoy them because the computers they have now are early Pentiums with Windows 98 and are falling apart!

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I'm going to load 'em up and give them to less fortunate people I know who have kids that will benefit from them.

OMG, they were just going to go outside and play in the fresh air!

J/K.
LOL.gif

I picked up two P 4 3.0 ghz 1 gb ram computers with 15 inch and 17 inch LCD screens from my in laws. they upgraded to core 2 duo processors with 6 GB ram

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
Why are they throwing out perfectly good computer stuff for?
21.gif
Dunno, and don't care... They found a good home.

It gives me $!#@%-ing rights to ask for a new laptop, because this one is getting very slow with all the SP's for XP and all the other crud they have loaded on there for work related stuff.

They always forget their field people who work hard and rely on their laptops to get work done day-in/out sometimes 12 hours a day. Meanwhile you get the 90 lb office B's that have the latest and greatest computers that are super fast and changed every 1-2 years and all they use it for is to surf the web, MSN messenger and Facebook all day and get minimal work. (I can verify this because I have MSN/FB on my Black Berry and I can see them updating 10 times a day during work hours. Meanwhile I'm eating on the run and have the phone glued to my ear and have to put up with a ghetto-slow DELL laptop that is 4 years old and in desperate need of more ram
mad.gif

IMO DELL's are naturally slow. Kinda like riding the short-bus to school when I have to work on it.
LOL.gif
(J/K)

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Those are faster than machines that I'm using at work, sad.

And you work in Silicon Valley?
shocked2.gif
Sorry for yah!

Good find - even better you're finding homes for them too.

The goobers at work wouldn't even let me take home a defunct P4 1.7Ghz.
smirk2.gif
It still sits under my desk until someone finds it in 2yrs and recycles it ... something about company policy blah blah.

18.gif

We have cameras at the doors.
frown.gif
Although I did consider taking it out one piece at a time.
crazy2.gif
grin2.gif
Just as well since I ended up buying new parts and built my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back