Scooter Cannonball

Screenshot (6).pngScreenshot (7).png

Lately there seems to be more scooter owners showing up on BITOG. So I thought I'll throw this out there for anyone who may be interested.
Scooter Cannonball. Seems like a lot of fun. I found out about it a little over a year ago, but apparently it's been going for a few years already. Every year a different route is selected, coast-to-coast backroads, and participants have a few days to complete it on their scoots. Seems like most are 100cc-300cc size, but even in that small window there are classes you compete in. Just a big, fun, friendly, adventurous, and challenging event. More info is available upon a quick google search for anyone interested. I plan to join for the 2024 Scooter Cannonball. Below are a couple videos with a small glimpse into the event.

Another great source of info is QuasiMotard channel on YouTube. He has a whole series for previous years, and is slowly editing and releasing the 2023 content.

P.S. If I end up going on the 125CC Vino, then it's getting 10W60 in the crankcase. No shared sump to worry about.

Last edited:
I am a hardcore, dedicated scooter aficionado. I read a while ago that the Scooter Cannonball is limited to scooters with nothing bigger than 10" wheels. My Suzuki Burgman has 15" front and 14" rear which disqualifies me.

Scooters are the way of the future.

Scooter fans!

1692829803568.jpg

Motoblog

Came across the scooter cannon ball few months back. Pretty cool. Seems like Vespa 300's are popular but they seem to break down a lot. Hondas seem to do good. I'd like to do it someday but it would be a couple years. Going to buy a Helix eventually with this purpose in mind.

@Passport1 Actually you could if the engine size is small enough. You have a meet 3 out of 5 requirements if I read it right. A few I've seen on there have bigger than 10s.

You are correct. Then my Burgman would qualify. From the video lots of the riders are older. Don't know if my bones or scooter is up to that.

I have ridden literally a few hundred thousand miles across all 48 lower states on MCs.

I cannot imagine doing so on a scooter. They are so much smaller and rougher. I'm not making fun of them; it's just that I cannot fathom the fortitude it would take to go coast-to-coast on such a small vehicle.

I have ridden literally a few hundred thousand miles across all 48 lower states on MCs.

I cannot imagine doing so on a scooter. They are so much smaller and rougher. I'm not making fun of them; it's just that I cannot fathom the fortitude it would take to go coast-to-coast on such a small vehicle.
Builds character. But in all seriousness - a slower scoot does force the rider to look around and enjoy life a bit more. TBH - I miss my 49cc Honda Ruckus specifically for that reason: it forced me to enjoy life at 38-40MPH, and I learned to love it. I think the Ruckus is partially responsible for me moving out of the city (after 15+ years) into rural area, and I couldn't be happier.
My "faster" scoot does 85MPH, but for some reason I enjoy the slower 50-55MPH ride and find myself riding the 125cc a lot more. It's even more fun to select "bicycle route" on Google Maps, and then get to explore the roads less traveled and find the hidden gems.
Too many older people told me to learn to slow down and enjoy life, so I'm trying to apply their advice as much as I can. It's a great anti-depressant.

Last edited:
This fella kept on riding after this video, and last I heard - has over 80,000 miles on this 49cc Honda Ruckus scooter between 2014-2018. Now probably even more...

I had a 49cc moped in college, have often pined for another one. Just with more than one speed, as it needed me to help pedal up some hills. :) Seems like the perfect thing for hot summer days, take a leisurely ride on the backroads. No need to go much faster than what I could pedal a road bike at, just with less effort.

Finally, the Scooter Cannonball 2023 vids are here.

This is his Day 1 of the Scooter Cannonball, right after completing 1500+ miles from Katy, TX to the starting point in San Clemente, CA. As outlined in my initial post, the finishing point is going to be Hilton Head, SC. And then he's heading back to Katy, TX... Crazy how far these 125CC-300CC scooters are pushed, without many issues. All while being loaded like mules, and/or pulling a trailer.

Last edited:
I have a 50cc (well it used to be) Chinese scooter, top speed around 40mph. It's not nearly as much fun as a real motorcycle, probably because it's got no gears to shift and no power for the hills.

This idea to ride scooters across America is stupid. Think of all the breakdowns, all the cold windy nights, all the unplanned stops. These little difficulties are what makes traveling an adventure.

Just started watching this 😅 I wonder how Quasi is healing after the wreck.
Me too... He's been pretty quiet about it. I guess once all the Cannonball content runs out - then we'll get some updates. Hopefully on one of those Yamaha C3 local-ish camping trips that he was planning not too long before the wreck.

I have a 50cc (well it used to be) Chinese scooter, top speed around 40mph. It's not nearly as much fun as a real motorcycle, probably because it's got no gears to shift and no power for the hills.

This idea to ride scooters across America is stupid. Think of all the breakdowns, all the cold windy nights, all the unplanned stops. These little difficulties are what makes traveling an adventure.
49CC Honda Ruckus is what got me into this whole thing. I didn't even know something like that exists, but apparently this Scooter Cannonball is on its 10th anniversary. I'd love to join one day. Until then I gotta get my Honda Reflex fully serviced.

We must have the same algorithm 😂 watched that Thursday. There's some people that's not meant for long distance travel that could be challenging. I was really surprised that one guy made it though.

This makes the challenging US Scooter Cannonball run look like child's play...
Chinese scooter, for 7k miles, and with temps as low as -55C/-67F. This guy must have a death wish lol... He says his motto is: "Why sit at home?"

Screenshot (52).jpg
Screenshot (53).jpg
Screenshot (54).jpg

From the press release:
"Kazakh blogger Evgeniy Bezkorovayny made an amazing journey on a moped from Almaty to the capital of Yakutia. His journey began on December 1, the route included a path through Vladivostok and the Amur region, FederalPress writes.
As his journey progressed, Evgeniy talked about his adventures on social networks. One day, in the Amur region, the engine of his moped stalled, and the blogger had to repair the iron horse on his own.
Many Internet users expressed concern for the blogger, fearing that he might freeze and die in the cold conditions of the road. They emphasized that even if he reaches the border of Yakutia, severe frosts await him in the republic itself, which the moped may not withstand. However, the blogger was lucky that caring residents gave him a warm welcome... And the blogger traveled the remaining 50 kilometers with local residents.
Ultimately, despite some difficulties, the blogger arrived safely in Yakutsk, completing his unique adventure."

He does have car snow tires installed front and rear. From a 2 cylinder LADA OKA, so the tire size is either 135/80R12 or 155/70R12.
Here is his approximate journey:
Screenshot (51).jpg

Reports say that he is currently in Yakutsk area, waiting for spring time to make the journey back to Almaty, Kazakhstan on the trusty little scooter.
He says the whole reason for this trip is that he wanted to see the northern lights. And he succeeded at that.

Back