Scion Xb 0w30 Group IV Oil Choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a reliable Group IV synthetic in 0w30 formulation for my moms new car. I take care of all her regular maintenance. The oils I have reviewed:

Mobile 1 Ow30 (I can not confirm Group IV, but the specifications look like it)
Elf Full Tech 0w30
Amsoil Series 3000 0w30

Do you guys know of others I should check out? I'm not looking to debate the oils, I will make that decision. But, I am sure I am missing some possible selections. However, if you want to make a recommendation, feel free! :)

OCI is 5K miles until warranty expires so it's hard to throw price out the window. I'm on the fence with these 3, thus looking for more options.

Jason

not sure if GC Castrol Syntec 0W-30 is still grp IV or not... used to be, thats for sure. is it still? lets get some GC guru input. apparently it still kicks butt though.

Quote:

Looking for a reliable Group IV synthetic in 0w30 formulation for my moms new car. I take care of all her regular maintenance. The oils I have reviewed:

Mobile 1 Ow30 (I can not confirm Group IV, but the specifications look like it)
Elf Full Tech 0w30
Amsoil Series 3000 0w30

Do you guys know of others I should check out? I'm not looking to debate the oils, I will make that decision. But, I am sure I am missing some possible selections. However, if you want to make a recommendation, feel free! :)

OCI is 5K miles until warranty expires so it's hard to throw price out the window. I'm on the fence with these 3, thus looking for more options.

Jason

What does your car manual say the grade is supposed to be for the xB? 0w-30 is your choice or the car maker?

06vtec,

This is a bit off topic, but I appreciate your concern as you may think I am a newbie. Ow30 is my choice...

Jason

I would use Mobil 1 0w30 in your Scion as Toyotas seem to like it. The other 2 are a bit pricey for 5K OCI's IMO.

Use the below oil. Not sure about 30 weights since my 2006 Honda recommends 5w-20 and that's what I use. 'Corse you have to watch out for sludging in the design phase, I don't..only in the production phase.
whistle.gif

Last edited:
Quote:

What does your car manual say the grade is supposed to be for the xB? 0w-30 is your choice or the car maker?

If it's like mine, it calls for 5w-30. 10w-30 is 'allowed', but should be replaced with 5w-30 at the next interval. Toyota has since issued a TSB stating that some engines were OK for 5w20. I thought it was worded a bit vaguely, so I contacted Scion customer care and they told me to continue using the oil that was recommended in the owners manual and/or on the fill cap. In my case that is 5w30.

If you are sticking to 5K for warranty, why aren't you sticking to API approval? TSO is not API approved.

TSO and Full-Tech are extended drain oils, a waste IMHO, for 5K

Quote:

Mobile (Mobil) 1 Ow30 (I can not confirm Group IV, but the specifications look like it)
Elf Full Tech 0w30
Amsoil Series 3000 0w30

Jason

I'm not sure why you shouldn't at least examine Amsoil 5W-30 ASL. It's a full Group IV oil, and the cold flow props aren't so different from 0w. 5K intervals, it will save some cash as well. Your choice.

Amsoil ASL 5W-30

5w30 is required per the owners manual. Toyota would have one heck of a time voiding my mothers warranty for using 0w30.

Camu – Not a chance would I ever buy one of these. Do not get me wrong, it is a nice car but very boring. It’s like a toaster, you need one and it does the job. Another VW TDI was out of my mothers price range at the time and for the amount of money saved buying this car it will pay for a few years of gasoline.

The car is peppy around town but on the highway it is pathetic at passing, IMO, of course.

Simple Gifts – Who says I am not sticking to API approved oils? ;-)

Pablo – I plead ignorance as I did not check the specifications of ASL. Thanks for taking the time to make a post in this thread!

Jason
cheers.gif

Quote:

Would you buy another Scion? Also, would you recommend this vehicle to those in the market for a new car? What other outfits did you test-drive or consider?

Without a doubt. We (wife and I) bought a second xB (still first gen) a few months ago because we liked the first one so much. We tested the Honda Element, Nissan Versa, Pontiac Vibe, and the Toyota Matrix. I think if I were in the market right now, it would be either a lightly used first gen xB, or I would look at the new xD.

Quote:

Quote:

Would you buy another Scion? Also, would you recommend this vehicle to those in the market for a new car? What other outfits did you test-drive or consider?

Without a doubt. We (wife and I) bought a second xB (still first gen) a few months ago because we liked the first one so much. We tested the Honda Element, Nissan Versa, Pontiac Vibe, and the Toyota Matrix. I think if I were in the market right now, it would be either a lightly used first gen xB, or I would look at the new xD.

I hear the 2009 Honda Fit is going to be taller and bigger with bigger engine! That is all these Scions wrapped into one.

When I looked at the Xb a couple weeks ago, I recall that it requires either 0w-30 or 5w-20. I also found that the '08 v6 Highlander now requires 5w-20. It may say that it "recommends" but when dealing with arguing over a warranty repair, I take it as "requires".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back