Scion tC power steering fluid change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering what does everyone suggest for my daughters rebadged Toyota power steering fluid flush?
54.gif

It just specs a Dexron type automatic transmission fluid. Dexron-VI should be fine.

Originally Posted By: BayouTodd
So any Dex 3 or 4 will do fine, Correct?

DEX/MERC or Dexron-VI. I prefer the latter.

Dex VI or M1 ATF would be my choices... I run M1 ATF in my dex-specced BMW PS box, and it is really nice. Smoother in cold weather, as if there is less strain on the pump, since the fluid is slightly less viscous.

JMH

Originally Posted By: dorkiedoode
how do we change power steering fluid??

Search this forum for instructions on power steering flush.

I've got an xB and used the Mobil1 synthetic when I did mine. Emptied all I could from the reservoir and filled it back up. Remove the return line at the rack and put in in a bucket. Turned the wheel back and forth (with the car off per Toyota) and added to the reservoir as needed until the fluid came out clean and red.

I used Dexron VI in my friend's Scion TC. It was well worth it, the old fluid was toast at 50,000 miles.

Using any syn ought to be a good idea, though.

What does your book call for? My 08 Corolla and my 02 Echo both called for Dextron type II or III in the power steering. I used Pennzoil Multi-Vehicle ATF and it worked great.

Last edited:
Same. My 03 Matrix and 04 Tacoma called for Dex II/III. I'll have to check my 08 Scion xD. I bought some Pennzoil Multi-Vehicle ATF and drain the res every oil change (5k). It only hold like 6oz maybe so it isn't a huge cost.

Edit:

The 08 Scion xD has electric steering.

Last edited:
this is a really weak spot on these car's! Unlike the Toyota trucks these cars do not have a powersteering cooler and tear up their fluid. I recomend that you use a good synthetic Dex-III or better. M1,Redline D4,Amsoil,Motul,NEO Dex compatable ATF's all work fine. In fact I got ATF+4 on sale at Walmart and it is GIII so it is almsot synthetic and it is doing well.

I siphon/refill at every oil change. Takes less then a pint. Stick with a full synthetic or upgraded ATF. M1 or RP for me.
Filtration is usually lacking and why I recommending a reasonable interval.
Flushing can be a hassle(pulling hoses and making a driveway mess). Siphon/refill=easy and definitely adequate!
Cooling is pathetic in many PSF systems and the best reason for a synthetic. Many cold weather steering issues can usually be solved with a full synth.

Magnefine+synthflush is an option for those that don't want to perform regular maintenance.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
I siphon/refill at every oil change. Takes less then a pint. Stick with a full synthetic or upgraded ATF. M1 or RP for me.
Filtration is usually lacking and why I recommending a reasonable interval.
Flushing can be a hassle(pulling hoses and making a driveway mess). Siphon/refill=easy and definitely adequate!
Cooling is pathetic in many PSF systems and the best reason for a synthetic. Many cold weather steering issues can usually be solved with a full synth.

Magnefine+synthflush is an option for those that don't want to perform regular maintenance.

Unless you are towing with your vehicle, I'm not sure why you are so concerned about your power steering system.

I have 112k + on the original oil fill and have absolutely zero problems with my system. I'm sure if I went to the junkyard, I could find many systems with twice the mileage with no fluid changes and no problems as well.

I've replaced many PS pumps that had original fill and less then 120k miles. So Critic, your poorly maintained vehicles are an exception. Maintenance is too easy not to do. Many issues can be prevented with PM. Why not?

10-20 quarts of ATF over 200k miles is a cheap investment. What does a PSF pump or rack cost these days? or the R&R for these components?

Gamble if you want. Junkyard comparisons are also meaningless!

BTW, towing doesn't affect my PSF system much. Using the steering wheel does!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back