School safety

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything that improves firearm safety is a good thing, but I find myself thinking the invention wouldn't be needed if airport style metal detectors were installed to stop the problem arising in the first place

Why not make school grounds gun friendly zones where staff can be trained to use a firearm. Schools are targets because they are easy. Givery them tools to protect themselves active police guard at the main door and teachers with a gun and this invention. I am sure retired military people would volunteer their time to help guard school doors as well. They have ways to stop this nonsense they just need to do it.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Why not make school grounds gun friendly zones where staff can be trained to use a firearm. Schools are targets because they are easy. Givery them tools to protect themselves active police guard at the main door and teachers with a gun and this invention. I am sure retired military people would volunteer their time to help guard school doors as well. They have ways to stop this nonsense they just need to do it.

This is beautiful ^ i totally agree. people need to get over the Gun "hysteria" and realize its time to protect the kids the old fashion way. Arm the teachers who are willing to be armed and properly trained, and guards on station at the doors. I lived in el salvador for a year. one of the most Gang infested and dangerous countries in the west yet there were 0 school shootings. You know why? at every gate there are two guards with sawed off shotguns or M4's, and in the back of the school a guard who also walks the premise with a Gun. Sure it is not as classy or like a modern civilized country in style, however it sure as heck keeps the children safe from the gangs and violence.

Last edited:
I don't understand why everyone is all for teachers having guns. I am a college student, and have been in school for the past 16 years. I am all for guns, really, but 95% of my teachers I would not trust them with a gun. Either I don't suspect they would know how to use it properly or I wouldn't feel safe with them trying to protect me with one. Only a couple teachers I would feel safe with one, and they are military veterans. Also it would make it easy for students to get their hands on.

Nick1994 i do agree that many teachers do not need/want a gun. but i also believe there are some that are fit to carry them, and could be properly trained to use them. I am a firm believer that should a teacher have one that they should be kept concealed. The students should have no knowledge of the firearm unless it has to be used to protect them. I dont advocate Teachers open carrying in front of the students at all. Armed guards/police at the doors is different. Open or concealed they should be present on every school campus. There has to be a point where we say enough is enough, we need to do something to protect these kids. Carrying Guns is nothing extreme, its one of the core principles of this country that has been twisted into a sad hysteria.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Nick1994 i do agree that many teachers do not need/want a gun. but i also believe there are some that are fit to carry them, and could be properly trained to use them. I am a firm believer that should a teacher have one that they should be kept concealed. The students should have no knowledge of the firearm unless it has to be used to protect them. I dont advocate Teachers open carrying in front of the students at all. Armed guards/police at the doors is different. Open or concealed they should be present on every school campus. There has to be a point where we say enough is enough, we need to do something to protect these kids. Carrying Guns is nothing extreme, its one of the core principles of this country that has been twisted into a sad hysteria.

Amen. And we've tried the opposite posting signs saying gun free zone ect. Advocating a gun free area and it did not stop violence so it's time to meet the problem head on allow guns and expose people to firearms like they once were. Guns aren't terrible and evil a crumbling stupid society filled with inmoral uneducated godless people is our problem.

No, the best way of stopping someone who wishes to murder masses of unarmed people is to stop them closer to the time that they start shooting...if that means more armed people need to be there in a timeframe that allows quick response, then that's it.

If you want to see it in action, look how politicians surround themselves in armed people, apparently to be safer from the occasional crazy armed person.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Anything that improves firearm safety is a good thing, but I find myself thinking the invention wouldn't be needed if airport style metal detectors were installed to stop the problem arising in the first place

Those metal detectors are installed in many schools. They didn't stop shootings because the shooters use other entrances or walk around the detectors.

Laws banning guns within 1,000 feet of schools are in place. They didn't stop shooters, who were looking to maximize harm while encountering minimal resistance.

Schools are soft targets.

The shooting at Arapahoe High School last year near Denver was stopped by a police officer with a gun after two kids were shot, one fatally. That shooter was looking to kill an Arapahoe High school teacher, and his wife, who works there, and his daughter who was a student there, all because the student received a detention for disruptive behavior in class from that teacher. The shooter had a shotgun (not restricted in any jurisdiction) and was shooting anyone that he encountered on his way to finding that family.

He was mentally ill. A psychopath.

And the cop with a gun stopped him. Legislation didn't work. Neither did metal detectors.

Schools need to become hard targets.

Last edited:
The girl in the video had the door opening a few inches with the device on . I can imagine a strong man could bust that door closer right off, we have them break on our office doors without trying.
The device is strong but the closers are held on with 4 sheetmetal screws on the door and 2 screws on the door frame side. I guess at least it makes the sheep "feel" safer from the wolf.

Originally Posted By: bradepb
I guess at least it makes the sheep "feel" safer from the wolf.

So you consider school shooters skilled hunters who do so to feed themselves, as opposed to deranged attention seekers? Do go on.

Also, it is beyond me how anyone thinks the first step in stopping school shootings isn't to ban the media from reporting them. I know that is a slippery slope with regard to freedom of speech, but it's the lesser of two evils. Protecting a right at the expense of maimed and murdered school children is ridiculous.

If I wanted to shoot a lot of people I'd certainly look for a "gun free zone". I certainly would not want to get shot by an armed citizen.

According to the National Center for Education Statistics, there are just under 100k public schools in the USA.

Each school should have a minimum of three entry points, and of course given the push to regionalize into mega schools, there are likely many more.

So let's figure three armed guards per school. Theyll have to be paid similar to a police officer, so, let's just say $75k/year each. Now, the actual burdened cost of labor is more like $150k/year each. So that means nearly a HALF MILLION DOLLARS per school to have each one guarded. That's $50 BILLION in labor per year just to have guards in each school.

And schools drive property taxes which most dont want to pay...

So why anyone would push for guards in schools, when actuarially speaking the chances of children killed or hurt is infinitessimally small, is beyond me.

Arming of the "contingent of the willing" of staff to me is a more reasonable thing. But that will also, undoubtedly, create a bureaucratic training reqirement, some element of liability for injury and damages, and a LOT of other red tape as well.

So in other words, there is no clean and clear answer here, and the fact that you have a high density of children, makes it an even more touchy subject. I'd hate to think that we have stooped so low as a society to have to take precautions akin to El Salvador, but perhaps it is the case. Wonder what the statistics are for school shootings in the UK (which is more violent overall than the USA), as well as Canada, Germany and Switzerland. Is this an issue at all?

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If I wanted to shoot a lot of people I'd certainly look for a "gun free zone". I certainly would not want to get shot by an armed citizen.

Considering that most of these folks seem to commit suicide, I sort of doubt that "not getting shot" is really a consideration.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Considering that most of these folks seem to commit suicide, I sort of doubt that "not getting shot" is really a consideration.

It might be if they want to get the job done.

How about this:
Don't change anything. Don't arm teachers, and let whatever happens, happen. More kids die each year from drinking chemicals under the sink than those who died in school shootings.
It's not an epidemic. It's just media driven hysteria.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

If this was really an "argument" then they'd obviously shoot themselves out the front of the school in protest rather than wading in to wreak havoc on innocents while wearing armour, and finally top themselves at the point in which capture was imminent.

In sake of your argument, having a greater presence of armed personnel (security, or otherwise carrying) would only speed up the suicide moment..yet another good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back