school me on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I have some questions concerning motor oil. Ive been lurking for a bit trying to find some answers but I cant seem to come to a conclusion. So here goes. I have 3 cars that I regularly take care of/chane oil in. My 1999 Hyundai elantra with 130000 on the clock. My girlfreinds 1999 chevy malibu with 80000 (some old guy owned it before her and she bought it with just a tick under 60k for a pretty fair price IMO)
My Hyundai ive just been throwing whatever in it that is on sale at work with a whatever filter, I would like to change this. because lately ive been noticing a bit more oil consumption (idk if I just am now noticing it or if its a recent development but either way its there and i would like to throw something better than kendle into the mix.) as of now I was planning on using max life blend and a puralator pure on (possibly for the first change using a puralator clasic I have in my garage)
Next the malibu. this car burns little to no oil and has pretty low miles for its age. I was thinking about switching it over to mobil 1 but I dont really have a reason behind it other than I was reading through the Q&A on this board posted by penzoil. Any thoughts questions or concerns on this one guys? This car is the malibu ls with the 2.8 v6 AFAIK
Lastly my dads Suzuki sx4. Unknown milage and its a 2007. My dad insists on running souly synthetic in it. I told him that I would change it for a fraction of the cost that the local oil change place would charge him. Auto zone was having a sale on penzoil plat. I walked out of auto zone with 5 quarts of penzoil plat and a purolator pure one. I have been reading the forums and some people seem to be opinionated about oil. I know that there is no perfect oil but is there any reason some peple tend to dislike penzoil? Did i put my dad on the wrong track by filling it up with penzoil? All input is welcome

THANKS GUYS
Sean Scott

P.S. how can I stop the screen from jiggling back and forth when im typing? is anyone else experiencing this? is it something on my end or whats the deal?

Last edited:
What engine in the Hyundai Elantra? If it's the 4 cylinder then you might want to go with a 40wt in the warmer temperatures and a 30wt in the colder temps.

These engines prefer a thicker oil. If it's the V6 then let me know and I will suggest something for that engine.

As for the screen jiggling that must be something on your end... No problems here.
grin2.gif

Steve

Originally Posted By: DARKSCOPE001
P.S. how can I stop the screen from jiggling back and forth when im typing? is anyone else experiencing this? is it something on my end or whats the deal?

Don't type so hard you're shaking the monitor. You're not using a mechanical typewriter, after all.
wink.gif

Some have found that if they stick with one brand, consumption may be reduced. Pennzoil Platinum, Ultra, or conventional yellow bottle are all fine oils. For consumption (as in oil burning), there are some good high mileage oils out there. I don't have a lot of recent experience with oil burning. For leaks, I like Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic Blend in 5w-30.

ok sorry the elantra is a 4cyl 2l he is just a little guy but i like it for what it does. fairly good gas milage. and its current life is pretty easy. It jumps on the freeway in the morning. drives for 20 miles at 65mph gets off drives maybe 2 miles to school shuts down. then comes home. the only stop and go it sees is the ocasional grocery run and when im going to work (less than 3 miles away) So feel free to make your best recomendation if the information I have given you makes any help. On one of the other forums I belong to, Garagejournal. Someone onetime recomended rotella. can anyone tell me why? is it just because it is offered in thicker weights?

THANKS GUYS
Sean Scott

The 4 cylinder engine is bullet proof and will last a long time. It is common for the PCV to sludge up on some of these engines so you might want to replace it with an OEM one or clean it well with some brake cleaner. It's located under the plastic engine cover.

This could be the cause of your oil consumption.
thumbsup2.gif

Use a 40wt in the engine in the hotter temperatures and a 30wt in the cooler temperatures.

Or you could use a 0w40 / 5w40 year round.

If you want to use the same oil in all of these engines you have listed I would recommend Pennzoil Ultra or Pennzoil Platinum in 5w30 and just swap to a 40wt for the hotter temperatures in the Elantra.

You cannot go wrong with running Pennzoil Platinum in all three cars. It is a very good synthetic and a forum favorite!
thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

ok awesome. yes the pcv valve on this car is the origional one from the factory. YIKES! lol. Im a bit broke after buying a trans output seal, cv joint, and atf so I think ima go rummage through my chemicals in the garage and see If I cant find some brake cleaner to struggle it through till I can replace it. Would this also explane why the engine seems to idol a bit rough sometimes? like its not like the engine is misfiring but just vibrates a little more than say every other car ive been in (granted all these cars are much newer than mine.) Can I ask tho? why does everyone recomend the oem pcv valve?

THANKS
Sean Scott

The screen jiggling happened to me yesterday as well for the first time. It was as I was typing my first post here. It isn't happening right now.

Originally Posted By: DARKSCOPE001
ok awesome. yes the pcv valve on this car is the origional one from the factory. YIKES! lol. Im a bit broke after buying a trans output seal, cv joint, and atf so I think ima go rummage through my chemicals in the garage and see If I cant find some brake cleaner to struggle it through till I can replace it. Would this also explane why the engine seems to idol a bit rough sometimes? like its not like the engine is misfiring but just vibrates a little more than say every other car ive been in (granted all these cars are much newer than mine.) Can I ask tho? why does everyone recomend the oem pcv valve?

THANKS
Sean Scott

You could also use Gasoline if you are absolutely strapped for a cleaner... Just make sure to use in a well ventilated area so you don't pass out.

As for the idling rough... It could be the PCV but might be the spark-plugs. These engines are fussy if the plugs aren't in TIP-TOP condition.

As many people have said before, there are no bad SM GF-4 oils.

For me, the "best oil" is the synthetic with the best sale and/or rebate at the time. If you're taking care of several cars, keep a close eye on the rebate/sale/promo forum. You'll be able to get synthetic for the same or less than dino.

As you learn more, you'll spot pricing oddities. For example, Valvoline Synpower is $25 a jug at WalMart. It makes no sense to buy that when QS, PP, and M1 are $19-$21/jug. All are great oils. Synpower is a good oil but don't get anything for that extra $5 compared to the others so save your cash.

There's a decent rebate on QS right now. If you're near a Pepboys, great rebates on PP, PU and QS. If there's an O'Reilly's near you, do a search for the Valvoline rebates. The Valvoline rebate is awesome b/c you can register as may cars as you want and keep sending in rebates! If there's an Advance near you, you can buy Purolator Classic filters using their on-line discount codes and then send in a rebate on top. Those are some of the tricks of the trade so to speak. Have fun!

well the plugs are pretty new (if I had to guess they were replaced around 110000 (what is the average life expectancy of the plug?) Because a new set of plugs is not that much and if need be I could replace them. also the rumble is verry verry subtle. You wouldent even know it was there really unless you were looking for it. Its not like the time I fired up the car and had a misfire due to a bad plug. but if you guys could give me some advice that would be much appreciated. And yes he is a cool dad :) I have no problem putting synthetic oil in the car, I think for the extra few dollars why not? extended oci and most likely better protection I see no reason not to run it.

Oh and for the elauntra would running 5-30 or slightly thicker pens plat with a purolator pure one be a good choice even tho right now its an older engine and as of now has suspected oil burn?

THANKS GUYS
Sean Scott

P.S. you changed my mind I do like pensoil, now I think ima fill up my gf's malibu with it on her upcoming oil change :)
THANKS G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back