School me of Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a new member so be easy OK
Had a friend selling his truck and he had 6 gal of Rotella T6 to get rid of so I gave him $50 for it. I've never run Synthetic. Never saw the benefit when I trade at about 100000 miles.So for the question I pull a 14000 lb 5th wheel about 6000 miles a year and about 6000 a year just running around. Will the 5W40 be OK for using when pulling the 5th wheel
I will be keeping the truck for a long time no more trading at 100000 miles. 2008 Dodge 6.7 SRW it has 70000 miles now. I bought it new and its had 8000 miles oil changes of T3.

Jerry

Originally Posted By: goingwest
Will the 5W40 be OK for using when pulling the 5th wheel

I don't see why not. How often are you planning to change it? It mainly makes sense to run synthetic if you're going to extend your oil change intervals. Otherwise, don't waste your money, although in this particular case, it seems like you got it for a song.

The benefits of synthetic can be traced to longer service interval when paired with the proper filter, since the syn can last longer without breaking down as fast.

The other benefit is that you have a 5w40 synthetic, instead of a traditional 15w40 mineral oil, which means the 5w40 Rotella T6 will start easily in freezing weather with no block heater most likely.

In a water cooled vehicle, the 5w40 should not get any hotter than a 15w40, so breakdown shouldn't be much of an issue. If this was an air cooled vehicle, more questions come into play.

The synthetic doesn't protect any better than the comparable API CI-4 oil if you don't push the mineral oil past it's intended point.

The biggest issue you want to make sure is that your vehicle is specified to run a 40 grade API CI-4 oil at all, whether it be a 5w40 or 15w40 they can be used interchangably if the temperature outside permits.

What is the vehicle in question btw?

He stated the vehicle in OP....2008 Dodge with the 6.7 with 70000 miles on it.

Had a friend selling his truck and he had 6 gal of Rotella T6 to get rid of so I gave him $50 for it. I've never run Synthetic. Never saw the benefit when I trade at about 100000 miles.So for the question I pull a 14000 lb 5th wheel about 6000 miles a year and about 6000 a year just running around. Will the 5W40 be OK for using when pulling the 5th wheel
I will be keeping the truck for a long time no more trading at 100000 miles. 2008 Dodge 6.7 SRW it has 70000 miles now. I bought it new and its had 8000 miles oil changes of T3.

Jerry

I would not use the stuff. The engine will fall out if you use synthetic. But I will dispose of it for you. I will PM you where to send it.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Jerry

I would not use the stuff. The engine will fall out if you use synthetic. But I will dispose of it for you. I will PM you where to send it.

crackmeup2.gif

Thanks for all the replies.
A little more info, I have done a couple of UOA and Blackstone says the engine is doing great with the 15/40 so I was just a little afraid of trying to fix something that wasn't broke.
The engine does run cleaner then a lot of 6.7s as it has been deleted since new.

Aluminum 3

Chromium 1

Iron 19

Copper 3

Lead 1

Tin 1

Molybdenum 1

Nickel 0

Silver 1

Insolubles 0.2

TBN 5.6

This was after 8100 miles on the oil and 52000 on the truck
As for as oil filter I'm using the Baldwin BT 7349

If you use the T6 you can certainly extend your intervals between changes. The 15w40 has a TBN reading in that UOA of 5.6, indicating you could have probably went over 12-14k easy with that oil.

I would be using the T6 for a solid 15k miles, since it should have better TBN retention after those miles.

Right about where my numbers are on a Detroit Series 60 12.7L at around 24,000 miles on the oil using a Schaeffer 15w40 syn blend. And the engine has 300,000 miles on it after a factory rebuild. I think you can take the oil longer in the 6.7.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
If you use the T6 you can certainly extend your intervals between changes. The 15w40 has a TBN reading in that UOA of 5.6, indicating you could have probably went over 12-14k easy with that oil.

I would be using the T6 for a solid 15k miles, since it should have better TBN retention after those miles.

How about the BT 7349 filter is it good enough to go longer.

Jerry [/quote]

I would not use the stuff. The engine will fall out if you use synthetic. But I will dispose of it for you. I will PM you where to send it. [/quote]

crackmeup2.gif
[/quote]

Thanks for the offer but the shipping would kill me so I guess I will have to keep it.

The Fleetguard Stratapore filters are good in your application too especially for extended OCI.

Use that T6 just like the T3 in that Cummins diesel.

You'll be pleased with the results.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!!!!

T-6 will do just fine towing, I have done thousands of miles with it and tdt @ 5w40 no issues.

Doesn't that model of cummins have 15k change intervals?

While you acquired the oil at a good price failure to use it to the fullest potential is a waste to you and the environment. The information on the uoa is to see just how far you can safely use the oil. With such a high tbn I would run out further and retest. Say 1yr which based on your mileage would be about 12k.

Donaldson ELF 7349 is rated at 98.7% efficient @15 micron and has the best ratings of any filters for the Cummins engine. This is also the same filter as the Amsoil EAO-80 oil filter. Donaldson makes it and slaps a different paint job and the Am$soil name on it, and marks it up another 30%...

As far as the synthetic you are proposing, as good a deal as you got on it I would not hesitate to run it. Normally synthetic oil is a bit of a waste on the 07.5-12 Ram/Cummins engines because of the fuel dilution due to the late post injection cycle used during regen. Running longer than the recommended 7500 miles rarely happens because of this, so dino oil makes better sense. BUT, since you got rid of all that pesky hardware, you should be able to safely run longer than 7500 miles. I would certainly confirm this with an oil analysis.

You can run RT6 in your Cummins and tow a 14,000 pound trailer. I've been running RT6 for years in my Cummins, and it has performed very well. 15,000 miles between changes should be easily achievable since you have deleted the DPF from your truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back