schedule / oil recom. for 2015 Honda Accord V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I often wonder how long it takes the engineers to figure out a fix to the problems they sometimes design into an engine.
27.gif

In all fairness its usually not the engineers. This massive push to appear "green" drives a lot of the OCI recommendations. Viscosity recommendations are usually CAFE mandate driven not whats best for the engine but what can they get away with in the average driven car.
The failures get eaten under warranty unless it way out of hand and they get sued. Mega money recalls are usually not issued for engine oil related issues so its a safe bet for them to operate this way.

49.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I often wonder how long it takes the engineers to figure out a fix to the problems they sometimes design into an engine.
27.gif

In all fairness its usually not the engineers. This massive push to appear "green" drives a lot of the OCI recommendations. Viscosity recommendations are usually CAFE mandate driven not whats best for the engine but what can they get away with in the average driven car.
The failures get eaten under warranty unless it way out of hand and they get sued. Mega money recalls are usually not issued for engine oil related issues so its a safe bet for them to operate this way.

49.gif

I'm referring to the actual botched designs causing problems we hear about from time to time. Ford's launching plugs, sludge monsters, etc.

Oh yeah those are engineering failures alright but hey the engineers know best. How dare us lowly pee ons question why they only used 3 threads for spark plugs.

What i do, and our J35 is still in decent shape...

I change the oil with syn 0w-20 or 5w-20 every 5,000 miles, regardless what the OLM says. The VCM on these is VERY hard on the engine and oil.

We have almost 100,000 trouble free miles on our Pilot. Early on, I think Trav that said a long time ago to change these J35s at 5,000 miles with a quality syn. That's what I've done, and I couldn't be happier. Ours burns very little oil and just kind of hums along.

I am confident I know why there are problems with the VCM system. I would imagine it would require a relatively minor design change to avoid future problems, however it would likely be at the cost of a schoche of fuel economy.

(My theory is the VCM issue is related to the fact (I am confident) that the valves for the deactivated cylinders remain closed which would create a vacuum in the combustion chamber increasing blow-by and ring wear.) Move the valves (or otherwise vent the chambers for the deactivated cylinders) and solve the problem.

Just my theory.

Last edited:
I just wish they would turn it off. The engine accelerates and runs so smooth when it's off. Just turn it off all the time!

Amen. Toyota has resisted although it must be mighty tempting when Honda gets to advertise 15% better highway mileage. Our 2012 Sienna's drivetrain (V6+6sp auto) is beautifully matched. The vehicle accelerates briskly and rarely sees more than 3000 rpm. I do worry about their 10,000 mile OCI spec on 0W-20. 50,000 miles in and no issues so far.

OP here. So I'm still mulling which oil to use.

First, does anyone know if the 2015 V6 Coupes "feature" VCM?

I was all settled on using TGMO, but then I read reports of it being a super light weight oil. Is that a concern for these Honda engines?

Also, is SM with its higher Moly content still available, is it as light as SN, and is it suggested for my engine?

Thanks.

Mobil 1 0W20 EP (It's about $25 a jug at ChinaMart) changed at 15%. Any garage worth its salt should return your empty oil containers when you supply your own.

The 2013+ Honda Accord AT uses the J35Y1 engine, which is a VCM engine. The MT V6 Accord does not have VCM and uses the J35Y2 engine. Wikipedia - Honda J Engine.

I believe the engine Trav had experience with that sludged was a J35A7 Honda Odyssey with VCM. I had an Odyssey with that engine that sludged up on me at 100K miles. I was using synthetic oil and following the maintenance minder which averaged about 7,500 mile OCIs.

Thanks for the info. Still leaning toward a moly heavy oil since Honda coated the piston skirts in moly. Toyota appears to be high moly, but there's a difference between SN and SM and there's the whole light weight factor.

Wow....this oil stuff is like a never ending rabbit hole. The more I read, the less I truly know.
laugh.gif

So based on the Rat 504 Oil test I was convinced that Quaker State Ultimate Durability 0w20 was the way to go. I was also relieved to learn that 0w20 oils did not necessarily equate to less protection. But then I read all of the comments discrediting Rat 504 and his methods.
mad.gif

So I have an appointment with my trusted mechanic who uses Amsoil XL 0w20. From what I have read, and UOAs, it seems to be a decent oil. He said that I could bring my own oil, but at this point, I'm not sure which I would pick. Anyone have reservations against using Amsoil XL 0w20 on a 5k change interval?
crazy.gif

FWIW, I do 6 month/5K mile OCIs on my VCM J-series using whatever 0W20 syn is available at Wally World. I also have a VCMuzzler.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
FWIW, I do 6 month/5K mile OCIs on my VCM J-series using whatever 0W20 syn is available at Wally World. I also have a VCMuzzler.

VCMuzzler? Woah. Something else to think about. How does it affect your gas milegage? Do you leave it on all the time?

I also only drive about 8000 miles a year. Think I really need to change out the oil at 6 months or 4k miles??
frown.gif

Most Honda engines are easy on oil, but the V6 with VCM is known to destroy oil in no time. I would change oil in a VCM engine at a much shorter interval than regular engine. 4-5k miles is the max you should go.

Originally Posted By: Viche
Originally Posted By: mclasser

VCMuzzler? Woah. Something else to think about. How does it affect your gas milegage? Do you leave it on all the time?

I also only drive about 8000 miles a year. Think I really need to change out the oil at 6 months or 4k miles??
frown.gif

Believe it or not, I'm actually getting a little better gas mileage now. VCM was never that bad on my car but I would find myself trying to accelerate out of the rumbling and vibrations associated with it. This certainly didn't help with the mileage. With the exception of a few weeks, it's been on the car since December. I love having all six cylinders available to use. These J-series engines are very smooth when in their native form!

Check out the Accord forums. Plenty of opinions on the VCMuzzler there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back