Schedule for r32: I think I have a plan, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by fronesis:
Looks like I may be going with the M1 0w-40. I'm still tempted by the M1 5w-40, but the fact that it doesn't meet VW specs might be an issue I'd rather avoid. Does anyone know if Redline 5w-40 meets those specs? I couldn't figure out the answer on their website.

If they allow 0W-30, how about the German Castrol? It meets ACEA A3 and VW 502.00 and is almost a 40 weight.

Gene

quote:

My good friend just got an R32. His AWE S4 was blowing blue smoke from the 30 weight Mobil 1 he ran in it. [Eek!] I decided to give him a case of Belgian Syntec 5w-40 for his first change. I believe he will wait until 5000 to change, another 5000 miles to the 2nd change and then possibly 10k or 6 month intervals.

Where do you get the Belgian Syntec--BMW dealers? That might be a great choice if it meets the specs, since it's the factory-recommended weight. Of course, if your friend is doing 10K intervals, he can use any oil he wants since he's already going against the VW maintenance schedule. I think 5K is way too frequent, but if I'm going to be paranoid about my warranty, I better follow their schedule.

Gene K: all the VW folks say the VR6 engine runs SO hot, that I'm a bit afraid of running a 30 weight. That said, the manual says to use 5w-40 or 5w-30 if the former is not available.

What about the new Amsoil 5w-40? According to the Amsoil website it meets all the VW specs. According to this UOA-- Amsoil 5w-40 UOA--the oil might well outperform M1 0w-40.

Have I found my oil, or am I missing something?

quote:

What about the new Amsoil 5w-40? According to the Amsoil website it meets all the VW specs. According to this UOA-- Amsoil 5w-40 UOA--the oil might well outperform M1 0w-40.

Have I found my oil, or am I missing something?

Does the US VW manual require API SL? If so the Amsoil does not have this certification to the best of my knowledge. This is why it is on the M-B Worlwide Approved Oil List but not on the M-B US Approved List.

Castrol Syntec 5W-40 is listed as meeting all VW requirements and is of course the prefered 5W-40 grade.

Since the Castrol 5W-40 is on the Castrol US Website it should be possible to order it in 6 QT cases if no local retailer stocks it.

Gene

quote:

Does the US VW manual require API SL? If so the Amsoil does not have this certification to the best of my knowledge. This is why it is on the M-B Worlwide Approved Oil List but not on the M-B US Approved List.

My R32 manual says only VW 503 00 and ACEA A3; nowhere does it mention API SL. Folks on the Vortex R32 board have discussed the specs at length, and only ever mentioned these two.

So maybe there are choices here after all. If I was confining myself to oils that are 5w-40 and meet the specs, I think that leaves Amsoil and the Castrol (I think this is Belgian Castrol, right?). Which would folks recommend?

quote:

So maybe there are choices here after all. If I was confining myself to oils that are 5w-40 and meet the specs, I think that leaves Amsoil and the Castrol (I think this is Belgian Castrol, right?). Which would folks recommend?

While the Belgian Castrol is near and dear to my heart, I would go with the Amsoil European Formula because any oil that can qualify for Mercedes 229.5 gets the edge over one that doesn't. That is the ONLY Amsoil formula I would recommend over the Castrol for your application.

quote:

quote:

My R32 manual says only VW 503 00 and ACEA A3; nowhere does it mention API SL. Folks on the Vortex R32 board have discussed the specs at length, and only ever mentioned these two.

I don't see a lot about the VW spec. that is that tough myself and since it requires ACEA A3 and minimum HTHS of 3.5, I find it curious that they go 5-30 as the next alternative.
dunno.gif

It indicates to me that they want good HT/HS "and" cold start properties.

My vote would go to M1 0W-40 for now. I think Amsoil would be a bit expensive at 5K drains anyway. The M1 is probably best priced and widely available.

The M1 0W-40 would be my 1st choice to try at warranty drain intervals.
grin.gif

[ July 04, 2004, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: haley10 ]

quote:

quote:

503 00 ??? I know Castrol 5W-40 meets 502.00 and 505.00 but I am not certain about 503.00 or 503.01

If the manual doesnt mention API SL then either should be acceptable.

Both are excellent oils and I would go with which ever is most readily available at the most reasonable cost.

Gene

quote:

I would use M1 5w-40 myself, or Syntec 5w-50.

While I see your point, I've decided I want to go with an oil that meets the VW specs--namely ACEA A3 and VW 502.00. And all things being equal, I'd prefer to run the VW recommended 5w-40 weight. After the warranty ends, I'd think I'd seriously consider M1 T&SUV, and maybe Redline 5w-40, and I'd lengthen the change intervals.

For now, I think only GC 5w-40 and Amsoil 5w-40 meet my (that is, VW's) requirements. Oh, and it turns out that Amsoil DOES meet the API SL spec, at least according to their website.

I'm leaning toward Amsoil, given the recent UOA from Parrothead, and the rec made here by pscholte.

Price is the next consideration: I've heard that VW and BWM dealerships may have the GC 5w-40 for about $7/quart, while I can order Amsoil online for $6.30/quart. Any better deals for either of these oils?

thanks again to all, I feel like I'm now making a very informed decision.

quote:

quote:

I would use M1 5w-40 myself, or Syntec 5w-50.

While I see your point, I've decided I want to go with an oil that meets the VW specs--namely ACEA A3 and VW 502.00. And all things being equal, I'd prefer to run the VW recommended 5w-40 weight. After the warranty ends, I'd think I'd seriously consider M1 T&SUV, and maybe Redline 5w-40, and I'd lengthen the change intervals.

For now, I think only GC 5w-40 and Amsoil 5w-40 meet my (that is, VW's) requirements. Oh, and it turns out that Amsoil DOES meet the API SL spec, at least according to their website.

I'm leaning toward Amsoil, given the recent UOA from Parrothead, and the rec made here by pscholte.

Price is the next consideration: I've heard that VW and BWM dealerships may have the GC 5w-40 for about $7/quart, while I can order Amsoil online for $6.30/quart. Any better deals for either of these oils?

thanks again to all, I feel like I'm now making a very informed decision.

Some NAPA stores carry the 5W-40 Castrol and if not they should be able to piggy-back a case or two on their shipments so you would not have to pay shipping. You can try the other local autoparts chains to see if it is available through them as well.

API certification works different from ACEA in that oils actually have to be submitted to API for testing and the manufacture has to pay for the testing. If any significant change is made in formulation you have to go back through the testing all over again. in ACEA the manufacture does the testing and just keeps the results on file.

With API terms such as "meets or exceeds" does not mean the oil actually has been API certified. If it has it will have the API Donut somewhere on the bottle.

As far as I am aware the only Amsoil Oils actually submitted for API certification are the 7500 series. Amsoil claims it is because of the expense of certification but I believe it is because there additive package was to robust to meet the guidelines.

You might get the 5W-40 Amsoil cheaper through a local Amsoil jobber. Amsoil should be able to give you a list or you might call the local "Fast-Change" places and find one that carries Amsoil and find out who they get theirs from.

If you are active in a local VW club you might consider taking some orders from several members pooling them and becoming a Amsoil Dealer for the discount.

Gene

I suspect any API SL oil will maintain warranty. Any ACEA A3 oil or equivalent oil will work well. If you care about specs, get the Mobil 1 0w-40, but I suspect you would get better results with 5w-40 Mobil 1 even though it is virtually devoid of auto specs. Syntec 5w-40 and 5w-50 are both A3 oils, 5w-40 meeting some VW specs.
For otc oils, I'd...

Mobil 1 5w-40
Syntec 5w-40
Mobil 1 0w-40
Syntec 5w-50 summer
Syntec 0w-30 winter

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
For otc oils, I'd...Syntec 0w-30 winter

Aw-w-w,
C'mon AJ, you know that "Winter, Summer, Spring or Fall, SLX can do them all."
grin.gif

AJ: it sounds like you aren't a big fan of Amsoil--any reason?

Also: do most folks agree that there's no reason to worry about the VW 502.00 spec? I know that M1 5w-40 and a lot of other oils will work great in my car, but I'm leaning toward being VERY risk-averse during the warranty period. That's why I'm still thinking of sticking with either Amsoil 5w-40 or GC 5w-40--the only two oils that meet the specs in the VW manual (502.00 and ACEA A3) and are the "proper" weight.

I've got an R32. I picked it up in March after waiting since November.(placed order with dealer day after Thanksgiving)I did the first oil change at 1,500 miles. It is beleived that the car comes from the factory with synthetic oil installed. Even so I wanted to put fresh oil in after an inital break in period.

I use Mobil 1 0W-40. It meets all of VW's specs.(502.00 and ACEA A3) I will run this oil for 5,000 miles and then do a UOA.

By the way the car is a hoot! It sits next to my '95 BMW M3 in which I use Mobil 1 15W-50.

David

It's not that I don't like AMSoil, I DO like sticking with one brand and that is less likely to happen with either 1) mail-order oil 2) hard-to-find oil like GC. That's why I recommend Mobil 1 5w-40 SUV, easy to get everytime without stocking-up in advance. I cannot say it is a lot better than 0w-40, but I suspect so.(it's thicker!) I am using 15w-40 Delvac in my V6 Audi, I really like it, I'd probally use that in warm weather for your car. I have a full garage of GC and I'm in no rush to go back to it.

Thanks, AJ: That makes sense now, and I, too, would prefer to stick with one brand of oil.

Big Dave: Glad to hear you're loving the R32 as much as I am. I suggested the 1500 mile oil change here, but was strongly discouraged away from it--not that it would cause damage, but perhaps that it was just unnecessary. I know the M1 0w-40 meets the specs, and I'm a big fan of Mobil 1, but I'd just feel a lot better running a thicker oil in the VR6 engine. I'd like to go with a 5w-40, so I'm still bouncing around between Amsoil or GC (which meet the specs, but are hard to find) or M1 T&SV (which does not officially meet the specs, but is a great oil anyway and is easy to find) or M1 0w-40 (which, well, see above).

Have you changed out you tranny fluid? I'm thinking I'll switch to Redline.

Finally, I almost bought a 95 M3 (GREAT year for that great car). The guy wanted to sell it to me, but I couldn't offer him enough for him to pay off his loan. Instead, I bought a 2000 M Coupe and drove it for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back