Schaeffers Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had my oil changed at my regular shop. I trust these guys they always do a good job. But today one of the mechanics picked up one of the empty bottles of the Schaeffers 7000 I'm using and started reading the label, said he had never heard of this brand before. I tried to give him a little history on the company. Then he saw the word "paraffin" on the label. They gave me a look like I was putting unrefined crude in my engine. Made a remark about Valvoline not having this stuff in it and walked away. Old myths die hard.

True
True
True

grin.gif

I think if you are happy with Schaffer's, the word of mouth will be still be uphill sledding. There are probably a myraid of reasons why. Normally, each mechanic has a favored brew. Also any particular shop usually already has a/have favored one/s.

I also happen to think that the Schaffer product line is outstanding. For me it gets down to a tad bit of inertia in that there are no local places that carry it. And while the suppliers on this web site try to take a bite out of the per quart cost, with the offer of free shipping for 250 dollars at a time. This requires more of a committment than most folks will probably want to give. Sure, one can buy smaller dollar amounts, but most likely one will incur shipping charges.

I use Mobil One products 0w20, 5w20, 5w30, 5w40. These are usually available in my area and they can and do go on sale. I would not like to pay shipping even on these products, especially when I know shipping is already built in to its price.

[ April 09, 2005, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: ruking77 ]

I'm fairly new to Schaeffers myself, only having discovered it a few months ago when I became a BITOG member. I'm impressed with the company (161 years in business) and the specs on their oils. Admittedly for what I paid for the 2 cases I ordered I could have purchased M1 at Wally World but I'd rather give my money to the shippers and a smaller company such as Schaeffers than Walmart. And I don't think I gave up much if anything in performance and quality. Should I decide to continue with their products I will be looking for someone to split a shipment with and save shipping cost. Schaeffers is a hard sell to the average person that knows little if any about oil.(The mechanic I talked to probably immediately associated the word paraffin with wax/sludge).They don't have flashy bottle labels and high profile advertising. But since I'm always interested in discussing automotive lubrication I'll keep trying to spread the word on this company and their products.

[ April 09, 2005, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: sully ]

if shaeffers advertised that "it's what real mechaincs use" like valvoline does then mechainics like yours would think it's great. it's all just marketing. shaffers wants to stay in the obscure specialty section of the market and will always face this type of predjudice.

Sometimes less is better...marketing can turn people away from a product. Depends on how it comes across. Give me the facts, leave out the hype and I'll be more inclined to take an interest in the product.

quote:

Originally posted by ruking77:
As long as you trust this mechanic, who really cares?

I don't, just a story I thought I'd share. I'll continue to use this shop for my service. Doesn't change my opinion of them one bit.
wink.gif

[ April 09, 2005, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: sully ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back