schaeffers oil in a new engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ken42, why might you think there'd be a problem?
confused.gif

The base oil is ... oil. The moly? Well heck, look at the Honda break in oil with ~1,000PPM of moly!
shocked.gif

Nope, I don't see any reason to refrain from using Schaeffer's oil in a new motor ... unless you are going to run it for a really short interval and then dump it.
dunno.gif

--- Bror Jace

I put Schaeffers 10-30 into my new 3.4 Tacoma at the 3K mile mark. Am at 6k total, 3K oil now and just waiting for another couple of thousand before I sample and change.

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
Ken42, why might you think there'd be a problem?
confused.gif

--- Bror Jace

Nope not worried was just wondering plan on running a couple doses of regular OTC oil for up to 500~800 miles and then switch over to Schaeffers.

There are only two reasons two not use Schaeffer's oil in a new or rebuilt engine.

1) Cost...if you plan on doing a couple of very low mileage oil changes to remove any debris in the new engine, use the cheapest oil that meets spec.

2) In the case of a rebuild, if the rebuilder did anything wrong, you don't want the blame to fall erroneously on some "exotic" oil when it should fall on the rebuilder.

If you do use Schaeffer's in a new engine, the friction reducers will provide a better, smoother, lower wear break-in, but not no-break in.

Ken

[ July 30, 2003, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

Hi Ken,
Sorry I missed your post!
If the engine fails I would have nobody to blame but myself. I am rebuilding the engine. Have so far triple checked everything I have done. Have allready installed the crank and will double check the torque soon. Tollerences for the Crank are all 0.002 inches so good there only thing I think could go wrong is if I choose the wrong oil weight.

Ken42 actually 43!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back