Schaeffers #705 Supreme 20w-50 vs Amsoil 20w-50 cycle oil vs Mobil 1 15w-50?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which offers the best value and protection for my 2 BMW's (2000 BMW R1100RT & 1978 BMW R100S)? Would the Schaeffers 20w-50 Supreme Racing oil #705 (blend) hold up as well as the Amsoil 20w-50 synth cycle oil for moderate length drains 4-6k. Amsoil lists theirs around $6.55/qt and Shaeffers should be around the $3/qt range. My 2000 BMW currently is getting Chevron made dino Havoline 20w-50 every 3000 miles & filter every 6k. Service interval is every 6k by the book but I cant leave the oil in that long (4 qt capacity). The 1978 BMW has 2 qt capacity and I will change every 2k. I wondered if the Schaffers has held up well for up to 6k on your bikes. Let me know what you think of these oils and how they performed with oil analysis, etc. I would like to use Schaeffers or the Amsoil but want some feedback from users. Thanks, Gary.

I am curious as to why you only change the filter every 2nd oil change? That seems false economy to me especially with the oils you are considering using...?

I don't think any filter would have a problem performing the 6k service interval. Just want and extended drain capable oil to match up with it. Do you have empirical evidence that says otherwise? I'm always interested in learning more on the subject. Thanks, Gary.
patriot.gif

No Not empirical, just plain ole' common sense that tells me if your filter is a spin-on, then you've got 1/2 quart of crappy old oil in it, and if it is an element-type, you have some crappy oil in the pleats and some extra little 'dirtballs' to contaminate the new oil. not doubting that a new filter can do 6k, but just that it wasn't being changed with every oil change (according to your post). that was were my curiosity was coming from.
patriot.gif

After reading one of Bob's other posts, I wonder if 15w40 Schaeffers Supreme 7000 would be better than Schaeffers 20w50 Racing oil due to the more robust additive package. Clutch slippage isn't an issue as my BMW has tranny separate from crankcase. The 15w40 would take care of the majority of the heat that Missouri can offer during the summer as well as many other states. Just a thought. What do the rest of you think?

quote:

Originally posted by bigspoke:
After reading one of Bob's other posts, I wonder if 15w40 Schaeffers Supreme 7000 would be better than Schaeffers 20w50 Racing oil due to the more robust additive package. Clutch slippage isn't an issue as my BMW has tranny separate from crankcase. The 15w40 would take care of the majority of the heat that Missouri can offer during the summer as well as many other states. Just a thought. What do the rest of you think?

Please refer to the legendary Oil Study by Ed Hackett that compared/analyzed all the oils out there. Or most of 'em, anyway. The study said something like 20w-50 has the least Viscosity Improver polymers. And the concensus seems to be, the less V.I. improvers, the better.

Anyway, I've always used low V.I. oils in my bikes. The only multigrades that go in my bikes are the 20w-50's, but I much prefer the monograde dino oils in 30 and 40 weight.

For cost and ease of avalability I would go with the Mobil 1. All good oils though.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back