SCHAEFFER'S #258 CLEAN AND KOOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that it does pretty much the same thing at lower cost, plus it cleans any deposits from your cooling system. If the coolant with Clean & Cool looks dirty, it has suspended the scale and it's time for a flush. It's not recommended for use with pure water...WaterWetter is. If you have a diesel, Clean & Cool provides the cavitation protection, as well as electrolysis protection for all engines. Clean & Cool is sold in pint bottles and the dosage is 2 oz per gallon of coolant.

Ken

Does Tim Mills carry this?,I might have to look into this for our tractors.
smile.gif

They don't normally keep much in stock but do order it on occassion. They said if you want it, they'll order some in and get it to you. All you have to do is call em.

I use it in my system which is a mix of antifreeze and water. Never have seen it look dirty. Also, I use a ph strip to watch acidic levels which seems to be normal all the time.
bob

quote:

Originally posted by boxcartommie22:
does #258 neutralize acids in anti freeze? like water wetter?

Yes, that's why you use a ph strip to ensure you have the proper balance of around a 7 ph.

Here is a list of the basics for this product..
  • Prevention of the formation of rust, scale and iron corrosion deposits by the formation of a monomolecular film on all metal surfaces including aluminum.
  • Removal of existing rust, scale and iron corrosion deposits, while the engine is in operation.
  • Reduces the potential for overheating.
  • Prevention of galvanic corrosion caused by electolysis.
  • Inhibition of corrosion to copper and its alloys due to the presence of a tolytriazole corrosion inhibitor.
  • Lubrication of water pumps and seals.
  • Prevention of the formation of green go.
  • Elimination of coolant foaming by reducing the surface tension of the coolant. This reduces the potential for cavitation.
  • Neutralization of harmful acids that result as antifreeze chemically breaks down.
  • Prevention of the erosion of soft metals.
  • Improved efficiency and extended engine life.
  • Will not affect gaskets and hoses.
  • Non-toxic and non-corrosive in use concentration.
  • Will not support bacterial growth due to its low nitrate formulation.
  • Compatible with all types of antifreezes including the new extended life antifreezes.

I have been looking for some help for the cooling system in my 99 Taurus. Following the mfg recommended coolant change intervals has only got me a badly rusted cooling system. Seems these vehicles are prone to rust/electolysis.

Most of what I have found regarding ph levels is that if the reading is below 8, the system should be flushed. Recommended levels I'v seen are 9 to 10, so a 7 seems low. Hey, different vehicle, and if it works... My concern is if I need the higher ph, will #258 still buffer it back down?

Being fairly new to this board, I don't know how to go about purchasing Schaeffer's products. The #258 is something I would like to try. Prestone anti-rust and the Wynn's products don't seem to be very effective, or not effective for very long.

Coolant test strips are hard to find as well. Any sources?

Thanks,

CC3

You may not know but that's the exact car I run and I have the 258 clean and cool in mine. I've not seen any evidence of rust in mine. I take and open up one of my heater lines and open the radiator, put a hose in it, then flush it until it is completely clean, then drain, and install fresh water/antifreeze mix and then apply the clean and cool.

You can order from Tim Mills at 800-737-1747.

You can go to any pool supply and get ph strips.

Silly me! I've been trolling the net for those teststrips, looking for coolant specific items. Did find some, but are expensive for what they are. On the plus side, those I found also check glycol levels. Even found some for brake fluid!

So regular ph test strips work ok? That will make life easier.

Thanks!
CC3

Note that some Japanese antifreeze is normal with a pH near 7.

CadCaveman3,
If you use Clean & Cool and your coolant gets rusty looking, it's not new rust. It's old rust being loosened and floated away by the Clean & Cool. Flush.

Ken

[ July 25, 2003, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

Just have to say - I called Tim Mills - great guy to work with! I order 2 pints of Clean & Kool - can't wait until it ships out (on back order).

If you haven't ordered from him, I suggest you do it. Although I like the convenience of online ordering, Tim is a great guy to order from...

quote:

Originally posted by dwmcqueen:
Just have to say - I called Tim Mills - great guy to work with! I order 2 pints of Clean & Kool -

The dosage of Clean & Cool is 2 oz. per gallon of cooling system capacity.

Ken

[ August 01, 2003, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back