Schaeffer’s 219 - low temp issue or TPS inconsistency?

JHZR2

Staff member
Focus on last paragraph, bottom of the pages:

2018:

3CF6A572-C99C-4B9F-B8EE-8F924050C54E.jpeg

2020:

DE2FD44C-7A3D-4EB5-A91F-5A4FB8686C59.jpeg

In 2018, they only offered NLGI #2, and it had an operating temperature down to -10F. In 2020, it says #1 is only good to 0F, and based upon the paragraph, would imply that onky #1 can be used in wheel and motor bearings.

Whats correct?

Has anyone run 219 in automotive or trailer wheel bearings?

Thinking of using it for my cars.

I'm no expert on grease but, based on the low end temperature range I'd look for another grease. Subscribed to learn more.

I have used the #1 without issue but it would be rare for it to drop to -10 here. Any colder than that use the Mobil 1 synthetic it is good to -40.
That being said the #1 & #2 219 are the only things in my grease gun, the rest I tossed.
I spoke to Schaeffer’s about using it in needle bearings found in high stress tripod CV joints and they said it would be well suited to this application and it appears to be doing a very good job so U joints should be no problem.

I use the #2 on the tractor, it is holding up as well as the 238 was on the bucket pins. Mola put me on to this stuff when I was looking for a specialized grease that cost $48 for a 7oz tube, so far so good.

I have used the #1 without issue but it would be rare for it to drop to -10 here. Any colder than that use the Mobil 1 synthetic it is good to -40.
That being said the #1 & #2 219 are the only things in my grease gun, the rest I tossed.
I spoke to Schaeffer’s about using it in needle bearings found in high stress tripod CV joints and they said it would be well suited to this application and it appears to be doing a very good job so U joints should be no problem.

I use the #2 on the tractor, it is holding up as well as the 238 was on the bucket pins. Mola put me on to this stuff when I was looking for a specialized grease that cost $48 for a 7oz tube, so far so good.
Interesting, so #1 for bearings, and #2 for chassis? I have a tube of 238, probably good for the next decade. But I would be interested in using 219 in wheel bearings if it makes sense... if #1 is appropriate, that works... not sure if #1 is because it’s in a cv joint?

Its true, -10 is a rarity...

I would call the company, ask Mola and salesrep to get a definitive answer. I wouldn't have any problem using the #2 in wheel bearings (in fact I did use it in a old van). Thinking back to the days that almost every car used these kinds of bearings they all lasted a long time using non synthetic greases that were not very low temp rated.
This is good stuff, it appears to be one of their top greases.

I would call the company, ask Mola and salesrep to get a definitive answer. I wouldn't have any problem using the #2 in wheel bearings (in fact I did use it in a old van). Thinking back to the days that almost every car used these kinds of bearings they all lasted a long time using non synthetic greases that were not very low temp rated.
This is good stuff, it appears to be one of their top greases.
Thanks. so is your use for #1 related to cv refurbishment? Is that a common viscosity for CV then? Or what was your rationale to have a gun fitted with a #1 grease. That’s maybe curiosity beyond the use of #219, just general... but interesting to me all the same. When do you apply the #1 vs #2?

Yes, only on the inner tripod/plunge cv joints, very light (#1-1.5 or close to it is spec) grease is spec. For most of the outers I use Redline CV-2. #1 gets used in U joints and cold weather stuff that needs grease eg snow blower auger and axle fittings, pull pins on the tractor, etc.

Yes, only on the inner tripod/plunge cv joints, very light (#1-1.5 or close to it is spec) grease is spec. For most of the outers I use Redline CV-2. #1 gets used in U joints and cold weather stuff that needs grease eg snow blower auger and axle fittings, pull pins on the tractor, etc.
So if I drove my Ram, or my three Mercedes Diesels to you to replace bearings, you’d use 219 #2??

So if I drove my Ram, or my three Mercedes Diesels to you to replace bearings, you’d use 219 #2??
If you’re asking about wheel bearings, yes I personally would. I am using it in a bunch of trailer wheel bearings and like it. It is my go to for all my trucks, farm equipment, construction equipment, etc. I have a neighbor that is using it too and really likes it.

If you’re asking about wheel bearings, yes I personally would. I am using it in a bunch of trailer wheel bearings and like it. It is my go to for all my trucks, farm equipment, construction equipment, etc. I have a neighbor that is using it too and really likes it.
#1 or #2?

Back